Quantcast

[ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

[ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

jstrachan
For the impatient just look here :) http://hawt.io/

Background
==========
We've had numerous consoles all over the place for some time in
various projects like Felix, Karaf, ActiveMQ, Camel, Tomcat, Fuse
Fabric to name but a few. Many of them quite heavy weight requiring a
custom web app to be deployed (which often is quite large); none
particularly working together.

We've been working on Fuse Fabric and its management console to
provide a more consolidated view of a cluster of Apache integration &
middleware technologies. Increasingly we're seeing our users and
customers using different combinations of technologies in different
containers (e.g. Tomcat + ActiveMQ or Karaf + Camel or Fuse Fabric +
Karaf + ActiveMQ + Camel or whatever).

So for a few months a few of us have been working on trying to make
the various web consoles for things like Apache Camel, ActiveMQ,
Felix/Karaf/OSGi & Fuse Fabric (long with more generic things like JMX
& OSGi) available as lightweight HTML5 plugins so they can be mixed
and matched together to suite any container and combination of
technologies that folks deploy in a JVM.

hawtio
=====
The result so far is hawtio: http://hawt.io/

You can deploy it as a WAR in any JVM (or feature in karaf) and it
provides a UI console for whatever it finds in the JVM. So it works
with Tomcat / Jetty / Karaf / JBoss / Fuse Fabric; and has plugins for
JMX, OSGi, ActiveMQ, Camel & Fuse Fabric so far with others on the
way.

The nice thing is its pretty small (about 1Mb WAR containing all the
server side code, HTML, JS, images, CSS etc). The only real server
side component is jolokia which is a small (about 300K) REST connector
for JMX (which is awesome BTW!) - the rest is static content (which
could be served from anywhere so doesn't need to be deployed in each
JVM).

Its based around a plugin architecture:
http://hawt.io/developers/plugins.html

so its easy to add new plugins for any kind of technology. A plugin is
pretty much anything that runs in a browser.

The nice thing is hawtio can discover UI plugins at runtime by
examining the contents of the JVM or querying REST endpoints; so the
UI can update in real time as you deploy new things into a JVM!

hawtio, the hawt camel rider
======================
A quick summary of the current features for camel folks:

* If you have any camel contexts running in a JVM when hawtio starts
up it adds an Integration tab which shows all the camel contexts
running.

* You can start/stop/suspend/resume the context and its routes; then
look at all the metrics for routes/endpoints/processors. The Charts
tab lets you visualise the real time metrics.

* You can create new endpoints; browse endpoints which are browsable &
send messages to endpoints (with syntax editing support for JSON / XML
/ YAML / properties)

* You can visualise all the camel routes or a specific camel route for
a context in the Diagram tab and see real time metrics of how many
messages are passing through each step on the diagram. e.g.
https://raw.github.com/hawtio/hawtio/master/website/src/images/screenshots/camelRoute.png

* Clicking on a Route allows you to Trace it; when tracing if you send
a message into a route then it captures a copy of the message at each
point through the route. So you can step through (scroll/click through
the table) a route and see the message contents and how the message
flows through the EIPs - highlighting where on the diagram each
message is. This is very handy for figuring out why your route doesn't
work :) Spot where the heading disappears! Or see why the CBR doesn't
go where you expected.

In general most of the runtime features of the open source Fuse IDE
eclipse tooling are now supported in the camel hawtio plugin; so
available in a web browser.

Summary
=======
So if you're vaguely interested in web consoles for Apache Camel I
urge you to give it a try. We love contributions and feedback!
http://hawt.io/contributing/index.html

or feel free to raise new issues for how to improve the camel plugin:
https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/issues?labels=camel&page=1&sort=updated&state=open

or if you've an itch for a new kind of plugin please dive in! We
should be able to expose existing web apps/consoles as links inside
hawtio too BTW.

Feedback appreciated! Its hawt, but stay cool! ;)

Red Hat

Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

stibi
Hello,
it looks really nice…I just give it a try, trying to install it in Karaf,
where is my Camel project running, but after ~50 minut I wasn't succesfull.
I was trying to utilize Fuse features.xml, to install hawtio, but that
wasn't probably good idea :)
I'll come back to it later, but if there is a easy way how to install
hawtio as OSGi bundle into Apache Karaf, let me know, please.
I'm still new in those things, so most probably I just did something wrong,
or over-complicated :)

--
S pozdravem / Best regards
Martin Stiborský

Jabber: [hidden email]
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stibi

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

jstrachan
If the feature file doesn't work you could just try this:

* add this line to your etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg (which won't be
needed once we've released 1.0 soon ;)

org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.repositories= \
     https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots=sonatype.snapshot.repo
\

* then in the Karaf / Fuse ESB console try:

   features:install war
   install mvn:io.hawt/hawtio-web/1.0-SNAPSHOT/war

On 25 January 2013 11:32, Martin Stiborský <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> go where you expected.
>>
>> In general most of the runtime features of the open source Fuse IDE
>> eclipse tooling are now supported in the camel hawtio plugin; so
>> available in a web browser.
>>

>> Summary
>> =======
>> So if you're vaguely interested in web consoles for Apache Camel I
>> urge you to give it a try. We love contributions and feedback!
>> http://hawt.io/contributing/index.html
>>
>> or feel free to raise new issues for how to improve the camel plugin:
>>
>> https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/issues?labels=camel&page=1&sort=updated&state=open
>>
>> or if you've an itch for a new kind of plugin please dive in! We
>> should be able to expose existing web apps/consoles as links inside
>> hawtio too BTW.
>>
>> Feedback appreciated! Its hawt, but stay cool! ;)

Open Source Integration

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Łukasz Dywicki
Gentelmans,
Especially from Fuse. We have something similar already in Karaf repository and it's called WebConsole. It been there since 2011. I'm sure you was aware of that, especially Guilliaume. There was example how to use it together with Camel and ServiceMix. But you never took time to take a look on that. You decided to create another project instead of supporting existing Apache community project. Or, I should be happy that you did not fork it?

We had the same problems with different web consoles, we saw that two years ago when you started working on Fabric. Now you came here and rescue us. If I remember correctly that's third console you produced for Fabric (I don't count previous Fuse consoles). I hope it will be latest and you will not drop the idea and continue supporting it.
Hawt.io structure (because is has no architecture) is same as Felix WebConsole. In comparision Felix console uses OSGi services, your uses JMX. Please consider donating it as Felix WebConsole 5. You will change jQuery to Angular. I think hawt.io will finish same as ActiveMQ webconsole. With minimal set of functionality and problems with security.

Cheers,
Lukasz
--
Small discamler: it's my personal opinion. I do not represent any company here.

Wiadomość napisana przez James Strachan <[hidden email]> w dniu 25 sty 2013, o godz. 10:59:

On 25 January 2013 11:51, Łukasz Dywicki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gentelmans,
> Especially from Fuse. We have something similar already in Karaf repository and it's called WebConsole. It been there since 2011. I'm sure you was aware of that, especially Guilliaume.

I'm aware of most of the consoles at Apache yes.

> There was example how to use it together with Camel and ServiceMix. But you never took time to take a look on that.

How do you know? I did as it happens.

> You decided to create another project instead of supporting existing Apache community project. Or, I should be happy that you did not fork it?

I created another project. You got me there! I apologise for having
the cheek to create a project - I hope you will find it in your heart
to forgive me one day.

The main reason I did is the idea behind hawtio is to be make a
technology agnostic plugin based console. So its not OSGi specific or
Karaf specific; or Tomcat or Fuse Fabric or Camel or ActiveMQ
specific. Its a generic way to plug consoles together in a technology
agnostic way.

Thats why I didn't put it inside Apache Camel or Apache Karaf which
are specific frameworks and containers.

Though there's nothing stopping any project anywhere; inside Apache or
outside - of making a plugin for hawtio; or reusing hawtio inside its
own console, or exposing an existing console to hawtio.

> We had the same problems with different web consoles, we saw that two years ago when you started working on Fabric. Now you came here and rescue us.

Remember this is the camel list. Karaf web console doesn't really help
Camel folks terribly much. I created the original camel-web console;
the reason I'm back here is to say I've figured out a better way to do
the Camel console; thats way better & way smaller.

> If I remember correctly that's third console you produced for Fabric (I don't count previous Fuse consoles).

There is 1 console for Fuse Fabric; called FMC - which we're migrating
to be a plugin for hawtio; so that Fabric has 1 modular console which
anyone can extend. With anything. Like, oh I don't know, the Karaf web
console if anyone fancies. I hear its quite good.

> I hope it will be latest and you will not drop the idea and continue supporting it.

Gee thanks for your vote of confidence. We'll definitely be supporting
it & using it heavily.

> Hawt.io structure (because is has no architecture) is same as Felix WebConsole.

if you're interested, the architecture is described here
http://hawt.io/developers/index.html
http://hawt.io/developers/plugins.html

> In comparision Felix console uses OSGi services, your uses JMX.

A hawtio plugin can use REST / OSGi / JMX / whatever. But yeah, we're
using JMX by default for discovery as its the lowest common
denominator so we can point at any JVM and do something useful. e.g. a
stand alone JVM / Tomcat / Jetty/ JBoss / Karaf / Fuse Fabric.

> Please consider donating it as Felix WebConsole 5.

Felix can easily reuse it if it wants. Its not Felix / OSGi / Karaf
specific though.

> You will change jQuery to Angular.

The default plugins use jQuery and angularjs; though plugins can use
anything they want...

> I think hawt.io will finish same as ActiveMQ webconsole. With minimal set of functionality and problems with security.

Its already got more functionality than the ActiveMQ console & when
deployed in Karaf can reuse the same HTTP security.

Thanks for your feedback!

Red Hat

Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Preben.Asmussen
Gave it a ride to test it and it looks awesome.

Still prefer VisualVM when it comes to monitoring though. Besides JMX threads, CPU and mem can be accessed here too.

More feedback to come later when I get some more time.

/Preben

On 25 January 2013 12:58, Preben.Asmussen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gave it a ride to test it and it looks awesome.
> <http://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/file/n5726252/hawt.io.png>

Thanks!

> Still prefer VisualVM when it comes to monitoring though. Besides JMX
> threads, CPU and mem can be accessed here too.

Yeah, am sure we can improve the JMX monitoring some more with some
nicer views. We maybe need a kinda 'system' view showing CPU / memory
/ threads / disk in a simpler single view.

FWIW the JMX tab if you select "java.lang" you can view/chart metrics
on OperationSystem / Threading though the Memory stuff could use some
work though.

> More feedback to come later when I get some more time.

Thanks!

Red Hat

Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Guillaume Nodet
Lukasz, I'm sorry you're angry, but you're missing the point that the Karaf
web console is bound to OSGi even if it can be reused with Camel or
ActiveMQ.
So the Camel and ActiveMQ community will never drop their own console,
because the OSGi users is only a fraction of the user base.  Hawtio enable
all projects to cooperate on a single web console, at last.
So it serves a more general purpose imnsho.

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Łukasz Dywicki
I'm not angry. I'm just telling the truth. Nobody told to you yet. Why you think it's bound to OSGi? We have WAR packaging. Overall destination was always to support other runtimes. Charles was talking about that and he found even a name for it once it will get TLP (Orion). But it was so long ago you propably don't remember.

Cheers, :)
Lukasz

Wiadomość napisana przez Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> w dniu 25 sty 2013, o godz. 14:08:

> Lukasz, I'm sorry you're angry, but you're missing the point that the Karaf
> web console is bound to OSGi even if it can be reused with Camel or
> ActiveMQ.
> So the Camel and ActiveMQ community will never drop their own console,
> because the OSGi users is only a fraction of the user base.  Hawtio enable
> all projects to cooperate on a single web console, at last.
> So it serves a more general purpose imnsho.

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Guillaume Nodet
Administrator
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Łukasz Dywicki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not angry. I'm just telling the truth. Nobody told to you yet.

Thx for that,  I think I was really erring on the dark side before ;-)

> Why you think it's bound to OSGi? We have WAR packaging.  Overall
> destination was always to support other runtimes.

The war packaging does start an OSGi framework inside the war.  In addition
the console heavily depends on pax-wicket, which afaik, does need OSGi.  As
you said, injection is done through OSGi services.  My understanding (feel
free to correct me if I'm wrong) is that the camel plugins is injected with
a list of CamelContext coming from OSGi.  Which kinda means to me, that you
need to deploy your camel contexts in OSGi, next to the console itself.

> Charles was talking about that and he found even a name for it once it
> will get TLP (Orion). But it was so long ago you propably don't remember.

Maybe I missed something, but when the Orion proposal was raised, Karaf web
console did not really exist yet.

The proposal was to create a TLP for an OSGi web console with a real web
framework.   None of these ideas did sound good to me at that time (having
a TLP for an OSGi web console and rewriting the existing webconsole with a
web framework).  We disagree, but these 2 years did not really changed my
mind.
Now, a few people went ahead and rewrote an OSGi based web console, which
is nice, but it's still is an OSGi web console and I still don't like the
technical design decisions that were taken.

And more importantly, this console does not really help half of our camel
users which do not use OSGi.

> Cheers, :)

Np.  We've been trying to get the webconsole problems fixed since the
beginning with ServiceMix 3, so that's almost 6 years ago now.  it became
even more complicated with ServiceMix 4 switching to OSGi.  I think we have
a clean solution now that can work for all projects with hawtio.
Will the project last and pick up ? No one knows yet.  Not all projects are
bound to suceed.  The one that do usually solves real problems in a clean
way.  I think hawtio is a good bet now ... until someone comes up with a
better project.  That's how it works.

> Lukasz
>

> Wiadomość napisana przez Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> w dniu 25 sty
> 2013, o godz. 14:08:
>
> > Lukasz, I'm sorry you're angry, but you're missing the point that the
> Karaf
> > web console is bound to OSGi even if it can be reused with Camel or
> > ActiveMQ.
> > So the Camel and ActiveMQ community will never drop their own console,
> > because the OSGi users is only a fraction of the user base.  Hawtio
> enable
> > all projects to cooperate on a single web console, at last.
> > So it serves a more general purpose imnsho.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

hadrian
I personally find the tone of this exchange very distasteful and I would
much appreciate you continuing it on other media channels than the
@camel user lists.

FWIW, Lukasz made some valid points. However, you saw a need for a new
project, created it, great. Hawt.io is nice, please continue to drive
its development there.

Thanks,
Hadrian

On 01/25/2013 07:36 AM, James Strachan wrote:

> [...]
>

>> You will change jQuery to Angular.
>
> The default plugins use jQuery and angularjs; though plugins can use
> anything they want...
>

>> I think hawt.io will finish same as ActiveMQ webconsole. With minimal set of functionality and problems with security.
>
> Its already got more functionality than the ActiveMQ console & when
> deployed in Karaf can reuse the same HTTP security.
>
> Thanks for your feedback!
>
> --
> James
> -------
> Red Hat
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Web: http://fusesource.com
> Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
> Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/
>
> Open Source Integration

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

This is one more reason why the hawt.io discussions should take place in
the hawt.io communities. Not here.

Thanks,
Hadrian

On 01/25/2013 08:08 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> Lukasz, I'm sorry you're angry, but you're missing the point that the Karaf
> web console is bound to OSGi even if it can be reused with Camel or
> ActiveMQ.
> So the Camel and ActiveMQ community will never drop their own console,
> because the OSGi users is only a fraction of the user base.  Hawtio enable
> all projects to cooperate on a single web console, at last.
> So it serves a more general purpose imnsho.

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Guillaume Nodet
Administrator
You misunderstood me.  So I rephrase.

Camel and ActiveMQ community needs a versatile console which can run in a
non OSGi environement, so they can't drop their current web console in
favor of the karaf one.

This discussion is imho totally relevant for the camel community, as it is
for all other projects.  I already forwarded the email to the karaf
community and other projects may be involved too.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is one more reason why the hawt.io discussions should take place in
> the hawt.io communities. Not here.
>
> Thanks,
> Hadrian
>

> On 01/25/2013 08:08 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>
>> Lukasz, I'm sorry you're angry, but you're missing the point that the
>> Karaf
>> web console is bound to OSGi even if it can be reused with Camel or
>> ActiveMQ.
>> So the Camel and ActiveMQ community will never drop their own console,
>> because the OSGi users is only a fraction of the user base.  Hawtio enable
>> all projects to cooperate on a single web console, at last.
>> So it serves a more general purpose imnsho.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
Red Hat, Open Source Integration

Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

hadrian
Ok, that is a different discussion I would rather have in the context of
Camel 3.0. I will start a separate thread for this. Having the
conversation in the context of the subject of this thread may be
confusing. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Cheers,
Hadrian

On 01/25/2013 10:42 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> You misunderstood me.  So I rephrase.
>
> Camel and ActiveMQ community needs a versatile console which can run in a
> non OSGi environement, so they can't drop their current web console in
> favor of the karaf one.
>
> This discussion is imho totally relevant for the camel community, as it is
> for all other projects.  I already forwarded the email to the karaf
> community and other projects may be involved too.
>

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This is one more reason why the hawt.io discussions should take place in
>> the hawt.io communities. Not here.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Hadrian
>>

>> On 01/25/2013 08:08 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>>> Lukasz, I'm sorry you're angry, but you're missing the point that the
>>> Karaf
>>> web console is bound to OSGi even if it can be reused with Camel or
>>> ActiveMQ.
>>> So the Camel and ActiveMQ community will never drop their own console,
>>> because the OSGi users is only a fraction of the user base.  Hawtio enable
>>> all projects to cooperate on a single web console, at last.
>>> So it serves a more general purpose imnsho.

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Guillaume Nodet
Administrator
FWIW, I think I first mentioned hawtio in the Camel 3.0 thread (message
from 8:27 am)  when you asked Lukasz to look at the lightweight web
console, only saying we should look at it.  James started this different
thread to actually not pollute the Camel 3 discussion with hawtio details.
So I think we're on the same page.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, that is a different discussion I would rather have in the context of
> Camel 3.0. I will start a separate thread for this. Having the conversation
> in the context of the subject of this thread may be confusing. Sorry for
> the misunderstanding.
>
> Cheers,
> Hadrian
>

> On 01/25/2013 10:42 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>
>> You misunderstood me.  So I rephrase.
>>
>> Camel and ActiveMQ community needs a versatile console which can run in a
>> non OSGi environement, so they can't drop their current web console in
>> favor of the karaf one.
>>
>> This discussion is imho totally relevant for the camel community, as it is
>> for all other projects.  I already forwarded the email to the karaf
>> community and other projects may be involved too.
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  This is one more reason why the hawt.io discussions should take place in
>>> the hawt.io communities. Not here.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Hadrian
>>>

>>> On 01/25/2013 08:08 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>>
>>>  Lukasz, I'm sorry you're angry, but you're missing the point that the

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
Red Hat, Open Source Integration

Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Christian Mueller
Hi James (and all others involved creating this product)!

Congrats for this product. It looks awesome (without having the time to go
into the details until now). I wish you success with it.

At present, I think the best is to let the project grow up at GitHub and
see whether it will get a solid user basis (I bet it will). If it has
success and you want donate to Apache, I think a new TLP is the best place
(after going through the incubator), because it is so generic (supports
different runtime environments, supports different projects, ...).

If I understand it correct, Hawtio is shipt by default with a Camel plugin,
right?
This means if we want to improve this plugin, we have to submit a
patch/pull request (or forge it), right?
Which features you figured out are still missing?

By the way, I couldn't install it into Karaf 2.3.0. I followed your
instructions by editing org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg (shouldn't be the url
https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots instead of
https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots=sonatype.snapshot.repo?).
I got the following output:

Christian-Muellers-MacBook-Pro:bin cmueller$ ./karaf clean
Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
        __ __                  ____
       / //_/____ __________ _/ __/
      / ,<  / __ `/ ___/ __ `/ /_
     / /| |/ /_/ / /  / /_/ / __/
    /_/ |_|\__,_/_/   \__,_/_/

  Apache Karaf (2.3.0)

Hit '<tab>' for a list of available commands
and '[cmd] --help' for help on a specific command.
Hit '<ctrl-d>' or 'osgi:shutdown' to shutdown Karaf.

karaf@root> features:install war
karaf@root> install mvn:io.hawt/hawtio-web/1.0-SNAPSHOT/war
Bundle IDs:
Error executing command: Error installing bundles:
    Unable to install bundle mvn:io.hawt/hawtio-web/1.0-SNAPSHOT/war

Best,
Christian

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> http://hawt.io/contributing/index.html
>
> or feel free to raise new issues for how to improve the camel plugin:
>
> https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/issues?labels=camel&page=1&sort=updated&state=open
>
> or if you've an itch for a new kind of plugin please dive in! We
> should be able to expose existing web apps/consoles as links inside
> hawtio too BTW.
>
> Feedback appreciated! Its hawt, but stay cool! ;)
>
> --
> James
> -------
> Red Hat
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Web: http://fusesource.com
> Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
> Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/
>
> Open Source Integration

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Maruan Sahyoun
for me it worked issuing

install https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/io/hawt/hawtio-web/1.0-SNAPSHOT/hawtio-web-1.0-20130125.104750-35.war instead of the mvn url

With kind regards

Maruan Sahyoun

Am 27.01.2013 um 19:43 schrieb Christian Müller <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> http://hawt.io/contributing/index.html
>>
>> or feel free to raise new issues for how to improve the camel plugin:
>>
>> https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/issues?labels=camel&page=1&sort=updated&state=open
>>
>> or if you've an itch for a new kind of plugin please dive in! We
>> should be able to expose existing web apps/consoles as links inside
>> hawtio too BTW.
>>
>> Feedback appreciated! Its hawt, but stay cool! ;)
>>
>> --
>> James
>> -------
>> Red Hat
>>
>> Email: [hidden email]
>> Web: http://fusesource.com
>> Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
>> Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/
>>
>> Open Source Integration

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Well, I think I do understand the issue Lukasz is bringing up. I am
blaming his ESL on not sending the message across very well.

One thing would help (I think) is to move the traffic related to hawt.io
on the hawt.io site, off the @camel lists. (Same goes for the
camel-extra project.)

Cheers,
Hadrian

On 27 January 2013 18:43, Christian Müller <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi James (and all others involved creating this product)!
>
> Congrats for this product. It looks awesome (without having the time to go
> into the details until now). I wish you success with it.

Many thanks!

At present, I think the best is to let the project grow up at GitHub and

> see whether it will get a solid user basis (I bet it will). If it has
> success and you want donate to Apache, I think a new TLP is the best place
> (after going through the incubator), because it is so generic (supports
> different runtime environments, supports different projects, ...).
>
> If I understand it correct, Hawtio is shipt by default with a Camel
> plugin, right?
> This means if we want to improve this plugin, we have to submit a
> patch/pull request (or forge it), right?

Yeah, thats the easiest thing for now:
http://hawt.io/contributing/index.html

Folks could create extra plugins too (either inside Apache Camel or on
github) if they wanted. e.g. the camel-watch web app looks cool.

> Which features you figured out are still missing?

Here's the current pending camel issues.
https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/issues?labels=camel&page=1&state=open

If anyone has ideas for improvements to the camel plugin, please raise an
issue there or please dive in and help fix the existing issues :)

> By the way, I couldn't install it into Karaf 2.3.0. I followed your
> instructions by editing org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg (shouldn't be the url
> https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots instead of
> https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots=sonatype.snapshot.repo?).
> I got the following output:
>
> Christian-Muellers-MacBook-Pro:bin cmueller$ ./karaf clean
> Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
>         __ __                  ____
>        / //_/____ __________ _/ __/
>       / ,<  / __ `/ ___/ __ `/ /_
>      / /| |/ /_/ / /  / /_/ / __/
>     /_/ |_|\__,_/_/   \__,_/_/
>
>   Apache Karaf (2.3.0)
>
> Hit '<tab>' for a list of available commands
> and '[cmd] --help' for help on a specific command.
> Hit '<ctrl-d>' or 'osgi:shutdown' to shutdown Karaf.
>
> karaf@root> features:install war
> karaf@root> install mvn:io.hawt/hawtio-web/1.0-SNAPSHOT/war
> Bundle IDs:
> Error executing command: Error installing bundles:
>     Unable to install bundle mvn:io.hawt/hawtio-web/1.0-SNAPSHOT/war

Ah it looked like Maruan figured it out (thanks Maruan!); its a snapsnot
issue. Hopefully we can get 1.0 out really soon to avoid folks having
SNAPSHOT pain! (A karaf feature would be nice too...)

Open Source Integration

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

jstrachan
Just in case others are trying it in karaf; we just hit an issue deploying
hawtio in jboss; so have made 'hawtio-osgi' for deploying hawtio in OSGi
containers; then 'hawtio-web.war' works out of the box in Tomcat, Jetty,
JBoss.

So the command line is now this until we cut a release:

install
https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/io/hawt/hawtio-osgi/1.0-SNAPSHOT/hawtio-osgi-1.0-20130128.154950-1.war

If in doubt check out the instructions on the home page; we'll try to keep
them up to date...
http://hawt.io/