Camel-Nats documentation is incorrect

rajith
Hey Guys,

While building an app using this component I realized the
documentation seems wrong. It states the format is
nats:topic?severs=xxxxx

But when you run it the nats component will try to connect to a server with
topic as the hostname instead of what's given in the servers.
I tried specifying the servers in the application.yml which also didn't
work.

However, I found  Andrea Cosentino's blog post which mentioned the format
to use is nats:/</hostname>:4222?topic=<topic-name>

This seems to work but my Camel version is 3.0.1

I'm wondering if the docs are for a newer version. Unfortunately I can't
try with the new version easily.

Can someone verify if the docs work with the latest version? If not I'm
happy to contribute to the docs to fix it.

Rajith Muditha Attapattu <http://rajith.2rlabs.com/>

Re: Camel-Nats documentation is incorrect

Andrea Cosentino-3
Hello,

The docs on the website are related to 3.4.x (the LTS)
https://camel.apache.org/components/3.4.x/nats-component.html

while latest docs are related to 3.5.0 (not LTS)
https://camel.apache.org/components/latest/nats-component.html

The camel version 3.0.1 was a development release towards the 3.4.0 LTS
release. That's why you don't have documentation for that.

My suggestion is to use the latest LTS release: 3.4.4

Cheers.

Il giorno sab 10 ott 2020 alle ore 16:42 Rajith Muditha Attapattu <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hey Guys,
>
> While building an app using this component I realized the
> documentation seems wrong. It states the format is
> nats:topic?severs=xxxxx
>
> But when you run it the nats component will try to connect to a server with
> topic as the hostname instead of what's given in the servers.
> I tried specifying the servers in the application.yml which also didn't
> work.
>
> However, I found  Andrea Cosentino's blog post which mentioned the format
> to use is nats:/</hostname>:4222?topic=<topic-name>
>
> This seems to work but my Camel version is 3.0.1
>
> I'm wondering if the docs are for a newer version. Unfortunately I can't
> try with the new version easily.
>
> Can someone verify if the docs work with the latest version? If not I'm
> happy to contribute to the docs to fix it.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Rajith Muditha Attapattu <http://rajith.2rlabs.com/>

Re: Camel-Nats documentation is incorrect

Andrea Cosentino-3
Errata corrige. This documentation
https://camel.apache.org/components/latest/nats-component.html is related
to the master branch and not to 3.5.0

Il sab 10 ott 2020, 16:49 Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hello,
>
> The docs on the website are related to 3.4.x (the LTS)
> https://camel.apache.org/components/3.4.x/nats-component.html
>
> while latest docs are related to 3.5.0 (not LTS)
> https://camel.apache.org/components/latest/nats-component.html
>
> The camel version 3.0.1 was a development release towards the 3.4.0 LTS
> release. That's why you don't have documentation for that.
>
> My suggestion is to use the latest LTS release: 3.4.4
>
> Cheers.
>
> Il giorno sab 10 ott 2020 alle ore 16:42 Rajith Muditha Attapattu <
> [hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> While building an app using this component I realized the
>> documentation seems wrong. It states the format is
>> nats:topic?severs=xxxxx
>>
>> But when you run it the nats component will try to connect to a server
>> with
>> topic as the hostname instead of what's given in the servers.
>> I tried specifying the servers in the application.yml which also didn't
>> work.
>>
>> However, I found  Andrea Cosentino's blog post which mentioned the format
>> to use is nats:/</hostname>:4222?topic=<topic-name>
>>
>> This seems to work but my Camel version is 3.0.1
>>
>> I'm wondering if the docs are for a newer version. Unfortunately I can't
>> try with the new version easily.
>>
>> Can someone verify if the docs work with the latest version? If not I'm
>> happy to contribute to the docs to fix it.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Rajith Muditha Attapattu <http://rajith.2rlabs.com/>

Re: Camel-Nats documentation is incorrect

Jan Bednář
Hi,
if you really need to stay with 3.0.1 (You shouldnt, as it is not LTS),
you can find all docs for older versions archived on github. Just switch
to relevant tag. For 3.0.1 it is
https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/camel-3.0.1/docs/components/modules/ROOT/pages/nats-component.adoc

Dne 10.10.2020 v 16:56 Andrea Cosentino napsal(a):

> Errata corrige. This documentation
> https://camel.apache.org/components/latest/nats-component.html is related
> to the master branch and not to 3.5.0
>
> Il sab 10 ott 2020, 16:49 Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The docs on the website are related to 3.4.x (the LTS)
>> https://camel.apache.org/components/3.4.x/nats-component.html
>>
>> while latest docs are related to 3.5.0 (not LTS)
>> https://camel.apache.org/components/latest/nats-component.html
>>
>> The camel version 3.0.1 was a development release towards the 3.4.0 LTS
>> release. That's why you don't have documentation for that.
>>
>> My suggestion is to use the latest LTS release: 3.4.4
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Il giorno sab 10 ott 2020 alle ore 16:42 Rajith Muditha Attapattu <
>> [hidden email]> ha scritto:
>>
>>> Hey Guys,
>>>
>>> While building an app using this component I realized the
>>> documentation seems wrong. It states the format is
>>> nats:topic?severs=xxxxx
>>>
>>> But when you run it the nats component will try to connect to a server
>>> with
>>> topic as the hostname instead of what's given in the servers.
>>> I tried specifying the servers in the application.yml which also didn't
>>> work.
>>>
>>> However, I found  Andrea Cosentino's blog post which mentioned the format
>>> to use is nats:/</hostname>:4222?topic=<topic-name>
>>>
>>> This seems to work but my Camel version is 3.0.1
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if the docs are for a newer version. Unfortunately I can't
>>> try with the new version easily.
>>>
>>> Can someone verify if the docs work with the latest version? If not I'm
>>> happy to contribute to the docs to fix it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Rajith Muditha Attapattu <http://rajith.2rlabs.com/>

Re: Camel-Nats documentation is incorrect

Andrea Cosentino-3
Thanks Jan, this is a good suggestion too.

But please use the LTS :-)

Il sab 10 ott 2020, 17:06 Jan Bednář <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi,
> if you really need to stay with 3.0.1 (You shouldnt, as it is not LTS),
> you can find all docs for older versions archived on github. Just switch
> to relevant tag. For 3.0.1 it is
>
> https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/camel-3.0.1/docs/components/modules/ROOT/pages/nats-component.adoc
>
> Dne 10.10.2020 v 16:56 Andrea Cosentino napsal(a):
> > Errata corrige. This documentation
> > https://camel.apache.org/components/latest/nats-component.html is
> related
> > to the master branch and not to 3.5.0
> >
> > Il sab 10 ott 2020, 16:49 Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]> ha
> scritto:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> The docs on the website are related to 3.4.x (the LTS)
> >> https://camel.apache.org/components/3.4.x/nats-component.html
> >>
> >> while latest docs are related to 3.5.0 (not LTS)
> >> https://camel.apache.org/components/latest/nats-component.html
> >>
> >> The camel version 3.0.1 was a development release towards the 3.4.0 LTS
> >> release. That's why you don't have documentation for that.
> >>
> >> My suggestion is to use the latest LTS release: 3.4.4
> >>
> >> Cheers.

> format

> can't

Re: Camel-Nats documentation is incorrect

rajith
Thanks Andrea & Jan for the super quick responses.
We will migrate to the newer version in the next sprint as we want to be
with an LTS version.