[DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.9.0 release

Its almost 3 months since 2.8.0 was released
http://camel.apache.org/2011/07/25/camel-280-released.html

I think we should start considering a Camel 2.9.0 release. And thus I
suggest to start focusing on bug fixes, and unit test fixes etc.
And to keep an eye on CI servers to fix test and other issues reported there.

Also I suggest to look at unresolved Camel 2.9.0 tickets in JIRA and
possible move tickets to 2.10 or 2.9.1 if that is possible.
Also if there is tickets which you think is a good/must have in 2.9.0
then I suggest to post here with the ticket numbers.
And of course to work on those tickets so they get resolved in the near time.

We have 84 open tickets which has been assigned to 2.9.0. I think
that's too much and encourage you to look at those
and either move/fix the tickets so we can get this down to a
management number of tickets to be resolved in the near time.

Camel 2.9 open tickets:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC

FuseSource
Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.9.0 release

Christian Schneider
Sounds good to me.
I propose to aim for a release and vote in about a week.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.9.0 release

hadrian
I assume the proposal to do an RC first still stands, correct?

Hadrian

> Sounds good to me.
> I propose to aim for a release and vote in about a week.
>
> Christian
>

> Am 24.10.2011 13:55, schrieb Claus Ibsen:
>> Hi
>>
>> Its almost 3 months since 2.8.0 was released
>> http://camel.apache.org/2011/07/25/camel-280-released.html
>>
>> I think we should start considering a Camel 2.9.0 release. And thus I
>> suggest to start focusing on bug fixes, and unit test fixes etc.
>> And to keep an eye on CI servers to fix test and other issues reported
>> there.
>>
>> Also I suggest to look at unresolved Camel 2.9.0 tickets in JIRA and
>> possible move tickets to 2.10 or 2.9.1 if that is possible.
>> Also if there is tickets which you think is a good/must have in 2.9.0
>> then I suggest to post here with the ticket numbers.
>> And of course to work on those tickets so they get resolved in the
>> near time.
>>
>> We have 84 open tickets which has been assigned to 2.9.0. I think
>> that's too much and encourage you to look at those
>> and either move/fix the tickets so we can get this down to a
>> management number of tickets to be resolved in the near time.
>>
>> Camel 2.9 open tickets:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.9.0 release

Christian Schneider
Oh yes ...  forgot that. So let´s aim for an RC1 in about a week and the
final release about two weeks later?

Christian

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I assume the proposal to do an RC first still stands, correct?

Yeah IMHO that could be a good idea. Also in light that there is 80+
JIRA tickets assigned to 2.9.0.
So we may be able to cut a RC sooner, and then have some JIRA tickets
which we want to include in the GA release.
And then after the RC we can work on those tickets.

> Hadrian
>
> On 10/24/2011 08:26 AM, Christian Schneider wrote:
>>
>> Sounds good to me.
>> I propose to aim for a release and vote in about a week.
>>
>> Christian
>>

>> Am 24.10.2011 13:55, schrieb Claus Ibsen:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Its almost 3 months since 2.8.0 was released
>>> http://camel.apache.org/2011/07/25/camel-280-released.html
>>>
>>> I think we should start considering a Camel 2.9.0 release. And thus I
>>> suggest to start focusing on bug fixes, and unit test fixes etc.
>>> And to keep an eye on CI servers to fix test and other issues reported
>>> there.
>>>
>>> Also I suggest to look at unresolved Camel 2.9.0 tickets in JIRA and
>>> possible move tickets to 2.10 or 2.9.1 if that is possible.
>>> Also if there is tickets which you think is a good/must have in 2.9.0
>>> then I suggest to post here with the ticket numbers.
>>> And of course to work on those tickets so they get resolved in the
>>> near time.
>>>
>>> We have 84 open tickets which has been assigned to 2.9.0. I think
>>> that's too much and encourage you to look at those
>>> and either move/fix the tickets so we can get this down to a
>>> management number of tickets to be resolved in the near time.
>>>
>>> Camel 2.9 open tickets:
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC

FuseSource
Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.9.0 release

hadrian
Yeah, that sounds good. I am planning on cutting an rc1 tomorrow then.
Should the version be *-2.9.0-rc1? or just go with the regular 2.9.0,
just not promote it (drop after tests). There are pros and cons for
both. I am not sure what my preference would be. I assume users will not
use this rc, it'll be just for more thorough testing, so it could be
used from repository.a.o (without promoting) and then 2.9.0 would be ok,
however it adds some confusion. 2.9.0-rc1 is definitely safer. I don't
think we need a vote to release the rc1 either, or do we?

Ideas?
Hadrian

On 10/24/2011 08:36 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I assume the proposal to do an RC first still stands, correct?
>>

> Yeah IMHO that could be a good idea. Also in light that there is 80+
> JIRA tickets assigned to 2.9.0.
> So we may be able to cut a RC sooner, and then have some JIRA tickets
> which we want to include in the GA release.
> And then after the RC we can work on those tickets.
>

>> Hadrian
>>
>> On 10/24/2011 08:26 AM, Christian Schneider wrote:
>>>
>>> Sounds good to me.
>>> I propose to aim for a release and vote in about a week.
>>>
>>> Christian

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.9.0 release

Christian Schneider
We should name it 2.9.0-rc1 and also promote it. If not then not many
people will use it at all.

Christian

Am 24.10.2011 14:44, schrieb Hadrian Zbarcea:

> Yeah, that sounds good. I am planning on cutting an rc1 tomorrow then.
> Should the version be *-2.9.0-rc1? or just go with the regular 2.9.0,
> just not promote it (drop after tests). There are pros and cons for
> both. I am not sure what my preference would be. I assume users will
> not use this rc, it'll be just for more thorough testing, so it could
> be used from repository.a.o (without promoting) and then 2.9.0 would
> be ok, however it adds some confusion. 2.9.0-rc1 is definitely safer.
> I don't think we need a vote to release the rc1 either, or do we?
>
> Ideas?
> Hadrian
>
> On 10/24/2011 08:36 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea<[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> I assume the proposal to do an RC first still stands, correct?
>>>

>> Yeah IMHO that could be a good idea. Also in light that there is 80+
>> JIRA tickets assigned to 2.9.0.
>> So we may be able to cut a RC sooner, and then have some JIRA tickets
>> which we want to include in the GA release.
>> And then after the RC we can work on those tickets.
>>

>>> Hadrian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.9.0 release

Btw I would like CAMEL-3632 included in Camel 2.9.0 as I think it can
help solve some use-cases for people and have Camel scale better for
InOnly JMS.

There is 3 watchers and 1 vote for it. That is not so often this
happens in the Camel JIRAs.
I guess there are other tickets. But it has been on my todo list for a bit.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Its almost 3 months since 2.8.0 was released
> http://camel.apache.org/2011/07/25/camel-280-released.html
>
> I think we should start considering a Camel 2.9.0 release. And thus I
> suggest to start focusing on bug fixes, and unit test fixes etc.
> And to keep an eye on CI servers to fix test and other issues reported there.
>
> Also I suggest to look at unresolved Camel 2.9.0 tickets in JIRA and
> possible move tickets to 2.10 or 2.9.1 if that is possible.
> Also if there is tickets which you think is a good/must have in 2.9.0
> then I suggest to post here with the ticket numbers.
> And of course to work on those tickets so they get resolved in the near time.
>
> We have 84 open tickets which has been assigned to 2.9.0. I think
> that's too much and encourage you to look at those
> and either move/fix the tickets so we can get this down to a
> management number of tickets to be resolved in the near time.
>
> Camel 2.9 open tickets:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC

> FuseSource
> Email: [hidden email]
> Web: http://fusesource.com
> Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews
> Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/

FuseSource
Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.9.0 release

Yes, I think the we need to promote it to the maven central repository
to let more people to use.
Then we could move on the GA with some critic bug fixes.

On Mon Oct 24 20:48:13 2011, Christian Schneider wrote:

> We should name it 2.9.0-rc1 and also promote it. If not then not many
> people will use it at all.
>
> Christian
>
> Am 24.10.2011 14:44, schrieb Hadrian Zbarcea:
>> Yeah, that sounds good. I am planning on cutting an rc1 tomorrow
>> then. Should the version be *-2.9.0-rc1? or just go with the regular
>> 2.9.0, just not promote it (drop after tests). There are pros and
>> cons for both. I am not sure what my preference would be. I assume
>> users will not use this rc, it'll be just for more thorough testing,
>> so it could be used from repository.a.o (without promoting) and then
>> 2.9.0 would be ok, however it adds some confusion. 2.9.0-rc1 is
>> definitely safer. I don't think we need a vote to release the rc1
>> either, or do we?
>>
>> Ideas?
>> Hadrian
>>
>> On 10/24/2011 08:36 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
>>>>

>>> Yeah IMHO that could be a good idea. Also in light that there is 80+
>>> JIRA tickets assigned to 2.9.0.
>>> So we may be able to cut a RC sooner, and then have some JIRA tickets
>>> which we want to include in the GA release.
>>> And then after the RC we can work on those tickets.

--
Willem

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.9.0 release

David J. M. Karlsen
Yes - please promote it - then it's easy to spot and consume.
I have some projects with Camel and can help test - that should be
pretty good for spotting regressions.

David J. M. Karlsen - http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidkarlsen

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.9.0 release

hadrian
It's certainly the safer option... as long as everybody understands that
this won't be supported once 2.9.0 is out.

Cheers,
Hadrian

On 10/24/2011 10:06 AM, David Karlsen wrote:

> Yes - please promote it - then it's easy to spot and consume.
> I have some projects with Camel and can help test - that should be
> pretty good for spotting regressions.
>
> 2011/10/24 Christian Schneider<[hidden email]>:
>> We should name it 2.9.0-rc1 and also promote it. If not then not many people
>> will use it at all.
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> Am 24.10.2011 14:44, schrieb Hadrian Zbarcea:
>>>
>>> Yeah, that sounds good. I am planning on cutting an rc1 tomorrow then.
>>> Should the version be *-2.9.0-rc1? or just go with the regular 2.9.0, just
>>> not promote it (drop after tests). There are pros and cons for both. I am
>>> not sure what my preference would be. I assume users will not use this rc,
>>> it'll be just for more thorough testing, so it could be used from
>>> repository.a.o (without promoting) and then 2.9.0 would be ok, however it
>>> adds some confusion. 2.9.0-rc1 is definitely safer. I don't think we need a
>>> vote to release the rc1 either, or do we?
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>> Hadrian

>> --
>> Christian Schneider
>> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>>
>> Open Source Architect

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.9.0 release

Christian Mueller
Administrator
+1 for Camel 2.9.0-RC1 in the next week and Camel 2.9.0 in 2 - 3 weeks.
I moved my issues for Camel 2.9.0, which I cannot resolve in this time, to
Future.

Best,
Christian

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.9.0 release

I just moved some tickets for Camel 2.10 and marked tickets which has
been resolved already etc.
I wanted to cleanup the JIRA ticket so we have a more up to date roadmap.

There is 19 tickets now
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+CAMEL+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%222.9.0%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved

Would be good if you had a chance to look at the tickets assigned to
you and provide a status.

Of course we can still fix bugs and add minor improvements and small
new features etc.
But we should focus on closing down 2.9.0 to have it GA later this month.