Draft Board Report Apache Camel for March 2020

Draft Board Report Apache Camel for March 2020

Andrea Cosentino-2
I wrote the board report for March. Feedback are welcome.

Apache Camel is a powerful open source integration library based on Enterprise
Integration Patterns. Rules for Camel's routing engine can be defined in
either a Java based DSL or XML.

## Issues:
there are no issues requiring board attention at this time

## Membership Data:
Apache Camel was founded 2008-12-17 (11 years ago)
There are currently 70 committers and 35 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 2:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Dmitry Volodin on 2019-05-08.
- Gazda was added as committer on 2020-03-02

## Project Activity:
- We released Apache Camel 3.0.1 on 16 Jan 2020
- We released Apache Camel 3.1.0 on 27 Feb 2020
- We are already working on a patch release for 3.1.x and we'll release 3.1.1
  in the next quarter
- We are working already on the 3.2.0 version too.
- Actually we are doing a big effort on stabilizing the codebase for 3.x
  branch, there is an ongoing effort and a lot of activity and contributions
  from old and new contributors
- We released a new 2.x version, the 2.24.3 on 26 Dec 2019.
- We released also the 2.25.0 version, on 23 Jan 2020, which will be the last
  major release supported on Camel 2.x
- We are preparing for the next minor release Apache Camel 2.24.4 and the
  first patch release for 2.25.x
- We released Camel-K-Runtime 1.0.9 and 1.1.0 respectively on 19 Dec 2019 and
- We released Camel-K 1.0.0-RC1 and Camel-K 1.0.0-RC2 respectively on 24 Dec
  2019 and 28 Feb 2020
- We are continuing our work on Camel-K by improving the support for Camel 3
  and we plan to release a GA soon after the RC candidates will have more
  feedback.
- We are continuing supporting Camel-Quarkus by releasing multiple versions in
  this quarter
- We released the following Camel-Quarkus versions:
  - 1.0.0-M2 on 17 Dec 2019
  - 1.0.0-M3 on 24 Jan 2020
  - 1.0.0-M4 on 06 Mar 2020
- We are continuing working on the Camel-kafka-connector project to be able to
  release a first version in the coming months
- This is the complete releases list
- 3.0.1 was released on 2020-16-01
- 3.1.0 was released on 2020-27-02
- 2.25.0 released on 2020-23-01
- 2.24.3 released on 2019-26-12
- Camel-K 1.0.0-RC1 released on 2019-12-24
- Camel-K 1.0.0-RC2 released on 2020-02-245
- Camel-Quarkus 1.0.0-M2 released on 2019-12-17
- Camel-Quarkus 1.0.0-M3 released on 2020-01-24
- Camel-Quarkus 1.0.0-M4 released on 2020-03-06
- This year Apache Camel will participate to Google Summer Of Code: we have
  already some student proposals we are evaluating and we are giving feedback
  to them. Actually we have 5 students interested.
- This year Apache Camel will participate to Outreachy program: We have
  already a lot of requests for contributing and getting started. Really nice

## Community Health:
- [hidden email] had a 56% decrease in traffic in the past quarter (663
  emails compared to 1505) This is related to the first Camel 3 GA release
- [hidden email] had a 15% increase in traffic in the past quarter
  (514 emails compared to 445) This is related to the questions coming in
   about migration from camel 2 to 3
- 388 issues opened in JIRA, past quarter (+21% increase) This is because we
  created new issues for improvements and new stuff on Camel 3 branch
- 329 issues closed in JIRA, past quarter (+4% decrease) This is because we
  were focusing on existing issues too
- 3450 commits in the past quarter (+28% decrease) This is for the new
  features and some refactoring done in 3.1.0
- 545 PRs opened on GitHub, past quarter (-12% decrease) This is for the
  stabilization, so feature contributor are continuing to work on them
- 556 PRs closed on GitHub, past quarter (-10% decrease) This is for the
  stabilization, so feature contributor are continuing to work on them
- 284 issues opened on GitHub, past quarter (9% increase) This is for the new
  projects in the ecosystem, we are noticing more contributors and obviously
  more issue
- 195 issues closed on GitHub, past quarter (-13% decrease) This is because
  there are ongoing issue still to resolve

--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------
Twitter: @oscerd2
Github: oscerd

Re: Draft Board Report Apache Camel for March 2020

Alex Dettinger
Looks good, well done :)

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 2:24 PM Andrea Cosentino
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>   stabilization, so feature contributor are continuing to work on them
> - 284 issues opened on GitHub, past quarter (9% increase) This is for the
> new
>   projects in the ecosystem, we are noticing more contributors and
> obviously
>   more issue
> - 195 issues closed on GitHub, past quarter (-13% decrease) This is because
>   there are ongoing issue still to resolve
>
> --
> Andrea Cosentino
> ----------------------------------
> Apache Camel PMC Chair
> Apache Karaf Committer
> Apache Servicemix PMC Member
> Email: [hidden email]
> Twitter: @oscerd2
> Github: oscerd

Re: Draft Board Report Apache Camel for March 2020

jbonofre
Hi Andrea,

It looks good to me. Thanks !

I will share with you some WIP about Karaf and Camel.

Regards
JB