[HEADS UP] - Deprecate stuff on Apache Camel 2.x

[HEADS UP] - Deprecate stuff on Apache Camel 2.x

As part of CAMEL-10735: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-10735

We are deprecating code on 2.x that we anticipate to be removed in
Camel 3.0 onwards.
We have marked code as deprecated over the years, but recently got
more aggressive and deprecated more in camel-core.

We have also marked components and other artifacts as deprecated,
which you can see in the overview on the readme file in github
https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/readme.adoc

We have also decided to deprecate the Scala and Groovy DSL which will
be moved to camel-extra as their new home. Ticket about this:

For example camel-script allows to run python, php and some other
"exotic" languages. However these can be used as security attack
vectors when these libraries have issues. And because they are very
seldom used, we could maybe deprecate some of these languages and then
allow using javaScript (nashhorn from JDK) which should offer
sufficient scripting languge. And there is always groovy as well.

We also think about deprecating components that wont support Java 9 or
are tricky to support there, for example jibx have some issues.

There are potential more to be deprecated, so we welcome any feedback
from the community.

Re: [HEADS UP] - Deprecate stuff on Apache Camel 2.x

I propose to deprecate camel-guice. That module has never really been
in much use / attention / maintained. And over the years guice has
been pain to support / guice itself was in trouble when the leaders
left and google didnt do any releases and whatnot.

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> As part of CAMEL-10735: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-10735
>
> We are deprecating code on 2.x that we anticipate to be removed in
> Camel 3.0 onwards.
> We have marked code as deprecated over the years, but recently got
> more aggressive and deprecated more in camel-core.
>
> We have also marked components and other artifacts as deprecated,
> which you can see in the overview on the readme file in github
> https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/readme.adoc
>
> We have also decided to deprecate the Scala and Groovy DSL which will
> be moved to camel-extra as their new home. Ticket about this:
>

> For example camel-script allows to run python, php and some other
> "exotic" languages. However these can be used as security attack
> vectors when these libraries have issues. And because they are very
> seldom used, we could maybe deprecate some of these languages and then
> allow using javaScript (nashhorn from JDK) which should offer
> sufficient scripting languge. And there is always groovy as well.
>
> We also think about deprecating components that wont support Java 9 or
> are tricky to support there, for example jibx have some issues.
>

> There are potential more to be deprecated, so we welcome any feedback
> from the community.

Re: [HEADS UP] - Deprecate stuff on Apache Camel 2.x

lburgazzoli
+1

btw, should we have a sort of "camel dormant" repository were we can
put stuffs that are not actively maintained ?

---
Luca Burgazzoli

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I propose to deprecate camel-guice. That module has never really been
> in much use / attention / maintained. And over the years guice has
> been pain to support / guice itself was in trouble when the leaders
> left and google didnt do any releases and whatnot.
>

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> As part of CAMEL-10735: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-10735
>>
>> We are deprecating code on 2.x that we anticipate to be removed in
>> Camel 3.0 onwards.
>> We have marked code as deprecated over the years, but recently got
>> more aggressive and deprecated more in camel-core.
>>
>> We have also marked components and other artifacts as deprecated,
>> which you can see in the overview on the readme file in github
>> https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/readme.adoc
>>
>> We have also decided to deprecate the Scala and Groovy DSL which will
>> be moved to camel-extra as their new home. Ticket about this:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-10909
>>

>> For example camel-script allows to run python, php and some other
>> "exotic" languages. However these can be used as security attack
>> vectors when these libraries have issues. And because they are very
>> seldom used, we could maybe deprecate some of these languages and then
>> allow using javaScript (nashhorn from JDK) which should offer
>> sufficient scripting languge. And there is always groovy as well.
>>
>> We also think about deprecating components that wont support Java 9 or
>> are tricky to support there, for example jibx have some issues.
>>

>> There are potential more to be deprecated, so we welcome any feedback
>> from the community.
>>

>> --
>> Claus Ibsen
>> -----------------
>> http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: [HEADS UP] - Deprecate stuff on Apache Camel 2.x

Onder SEZGIN
+1 for luca.

as some commercial companies ( i know we have many in my country ) prefer
to move to next version of java as they get more mature. so some apis and
components may be actibely maintained  with specific version but i propose
to keep them as dormant maybe somebody like devs in my country may
need to play with the code.

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 at 13:35, Luca Burgazzoli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> btw, should we have a sort of "camel dormant" repository were we can
> put stuffs that are not actively maintained ?
>
> ---
> Luca Burgazzoli
>

> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I propose to deprecate camel-guice. That module has never really been
> > in much use / attention / maintained. And over the years guice has
> > been pain to support / guice itself was in trouble when the leaders
> > left and google didnt do any releases and whatnot.
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> As part of CAMEL-10735:
> >>
> >> We are deprecating code on 2.x that we anticipate to be removed in
> >> Camel 3.0 onwards.
> >> We have marked code as deprecated over the years, but recently got
> >> more aggressive and deprecated more in camel-core.
> >>
> >> We have also marked components and other artifacts as deprecated,
> >> which you can see in the overview on the readme file in github
> >> https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/readme.adoc
> >>
> >> We have also decided to deprecate the Scala and Groovy DSL which will
> >> be moved to camel-extra as their new home. Ticket about this:
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-10909
> >>

> >> For example camel-script allows to run python, php and some other
> >> "exotic" languages. However these can be used as security attack
> >> vectors when these libraries have issues. And because they are very
> >> seldom used, we could maybe deprecate some of these languages and then
> >> allow using javaScript (nashhorn from JDK) which should offer
> >> sufficient scripting languge. And there is always groovy as well.
> >>
> >> We also think about deprecating components that wont support Java 9 or
> >> are tricky to support there, for example jibx have some issues.
> >>

> >> There are potential more to be deprecated, so we welcome any feedback
> >> from the community.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Claus Ibsen
> >> -----------------
> >> http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus
> >> Camel in Action 2: https://www.manning.com/ibsen2
> >

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [HEADS UP] - Deprecate stuff on Apache Camel 2.x

Okay so some of the scripting languages and other languages that are
EOL and has not been released in many many years are being deprecated
now

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 9:51 PM, Onder SEZGIN <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 for luca.
>
> as some commercial companies ( i know we have many in my country ) prefer
> to move to next version of java as they get more mature. so some apis and
> components may be actibely maintained  with specific version but i propose
> to keep them as dormant maybe somebody like devs in my country may
> need to play with the code.

-1 to dormant

The code are around in the git repos at ASF or github.
And the code stays in 2.x. Its for 3.0 that it gets removed.

camel-groovy-dsl and camel-scala may find a new home in camel-extra if
anybody at camel-extra wants to do the work to move the code and
maintain it and do releases etc.

> On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 at 13:35, Luca Burgazzoli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> btw, should we have a sort of "camel dormant" repository were we can
>> put stuffs that are not actively maintained ?
>>
>> ---
>> Luca Burgazzoli
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I propose to deprecate camel-guice. That module has never really been
>> > in much use / attention / maintained. And over the years guice has
>> > been pain to support / guice itself was in trouble when the leaders
>> > left and google didnt do any releases and whatnot.

>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-10735

>> > --
>> > Claus Ibsen
>> > -----------------
>> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus
>> > Camel in Action 2: https://www.manning.com/ibsen2
>>
> --
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: [HEADS UP] - Deprecate stuff on Apache Camel 2.x

I wonder if we shall deprecate more stuff on OSGi as its one of the
most problematic platforms to support.

Ideally only OSGi Blueprint is the best supported we have.

We should consider deprecating on OSGi

- camel-scr
- camel-cdi   (use CDI outside OSGi like JEE, Weld/OpenWebBeans or
anywhere else but OSGi)

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 8:16 PM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I wonder if we shall deprecate more stuff on OSGi as its one of the
> most problematic platforms to support.
>
> Ideally only OSGi Blueprint is the best supported we have.
>
> We should consider deprecating on OSGi
>
> - camel-scr
> - camel-cdi   (use CDI outside OSGi like JEE, Weld/OpenWebBeans or
> anywhere else but OSGi)
>

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > As part of CAMEL-10735: https://issues.apache.org/
> jira/browse/CAMEL-10735
> >
> > We are deprecating code on 2.x that we anticipate to be removed in
> > Camel 3.0 onwards.
> > We have marked code as deprecated over the years, but recently got
> > more aggressive and deprecated more in camel-core.
> >
> > We have also marked components and other artifacts as deprecated,
> > which you can see in the overview on the readme file in github
> > https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/readme.adoc
> >
> > We have also decided to deprecate the Scala and Groovy DSL which will
> > be moved to camel-extra as their new home. Ticket about this:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-10909
> >

> > For example camel-script allows to run python, php and some other
> > "exotic" languages. However these can be used as security attack
> > vectors when these libraries have issues. And because they are very
> > seldom used, we could maybe deprecate some of these languages and then
> > allow using javaScript (nashhorn from JDK) which should offer
> > sufficient scripting languge. And there is always groovy as well.
> >
> > We also think about deprecating components that wont support Java 9 or
> > are tricky to support there, for example jibx have some issues.
> >

> > There are potential more to be deprecated, so we welcome any feedback
> > from the community.
> >

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: [HEADS UP] - Deprecate stuff on Apache Camel 2.x

There is also the old camel-servletlistener module which was intended
for users on WAR files whom didnt want to use spring xml to bootstrap
Camel.

https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/camel-servletlistener/src/main/docs/servletlistener.adoc
In today a modern WAR can deploy using a @WebListener where you can do
your code to start / stop Camel.

So I think we should deprecate this module as well.

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> As part of CAMEL-10735: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-10735
>
> We are deprecating code on 2.x that we anticipate to be removed in
> Camel 3.0 onwards.
> We have marked code as deprecated over the years, but recently got
> more aggressive and deprecated more in camel-core.
>
> We have also marked components and other artifacts as deprecated,
> which you can see in the overview on the readme file in github
> https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/readme.adoc
>
> We have also decided to deprecate the Scala and Groovy DSL which will
> be moved to camel-extra as their new home. Ticket about this:
>

> For example camel-script allows to run python, php and some other
> "exotic" languages. However these can be used as security attack
> vectors when these libraries have issues. And because they are very
> seldom used, we could maybe deprecate some of these languages and then
> allow using javaScript (nashhorn from JDK) which should offer
> sufficient scripting languge. And there is always groovy as well.
>
> We also think about deprecating components that wont support Java 9 or
> are tricky to support there, for example jibx have some issues.
>

> There are potential more to be deprecated, so we welcome any feedback
> from the community.

Re: [HEADS UP] - Deprecate stuff on Apache Camel 2.x

We also have the old camel-http component that uses the Http Client
3.1 that is EOL and has not been updated in many many years - in fact
its from August 2007. So lets get this deprecated as well before its
10 years old ;)
http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22commons-httpclient%22%20AND%20a%3A%22commons-httpclient%22

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> There is also the old camel-servletlistener module which was intended
> for users on WAR files whom didnt want to use spring xml to bootstrap
> Camel.
>
> https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/camel-servletlistener/src/main/docs/servletlistener.adoc
> In today a modern WAR can deploy using a @WebListener where you can do
> your code to start / stop Camel.
>
> So I think we should deprecate this module as well.
>

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> As part of CAMEL-10735: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-10735
>>
>> We are deprecating code on 2.x that we anticipate to be removed in
>> Camel 3.0 onwards.
>> We have marked code as deprecated over the years, but recently got
>> more aggressive and deprecated more in camel-core.
>>
>> We have also marked components and other artifacts as deprecated,
>> which you can see in the overview on the readme file in github
>> https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/readme.adoc
>>
>> We have also decided to deprecate the Scala and Groovy DSL which will
>> be moved to camel-extra as their new home. Ticket about this:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-10909
>>

>> For example camel-script allows to run python, php and some other
>> "exotic" languages. However these can be used as security attack
>> vectors when these libraries have issues. And because they are very
>> seldom used, we could maybe deprecate some of these languages and then
>> allow using javaScript (nashhorn from JDK) which should offer
>> sufficient scripting languge. And there is always groovy as well.
>>
>> We also think about deprecating components that wont support Java 9 or
>> are tricky to support there, for example jibx have some issues.
>>

>> There are potential more to be deprecated, so we welcome any feedback
>> from the community.
>>

>> --
>> Claus Ibsen
>> http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: [HEADS UP] - Deprecate stuff on Apache Camel 2.x

Willem.Jiang
+1  for deprecating  Http Client 3.1.

Willem Jiang

Blog: http://willemjiang.blogspot.com (English)