Quantcast

How far behind is the Scala DSL than Java DSL?

How far behind is the Scala DSL than Java DSL?

mgardiner
We are investigating moving to Scala and I see that the Scala DSL is still a work in progess as documented at http://camel.apache.org/scala-dsl.html.  How far behind is the Scala DSL in features and EIP support?

Re: How far behind is the Scala DSL than Java DSL?

Claus Ibsen-2
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:41 PM, mgardiner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are investigating moving to Scala and I see that the Scala DSL is still a
> work in progess as documented at http://camel.apache.org/scala-dsl.html.
> How far behind is the Scala DSL in features and EIP support?

Hi

I have removed that note about work in progress, as the Scala DSL is
up to date with the Java DSL.
As far as I know we have all the EIPs in the Scala DSL.

We would love more usage and feedback on the Scala DSL as that really
helps to keep us on our toes and
improve the DSL accordingly to community needs.

Also feel free to dive into the source and help with patches and
whatnot. We love contributions

FuseSource
Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews

Re: How far behind is the Scala DSL than Java DSL?

mgardiner
Hi Claus,

Thanks for the update and the contribution link.

I am starting to seriously look at moving to Scala DSL.

Have you seen significant performance / scalability increases using Scala DSL?
Does Scala DSL work in an OSGi container?

I've been watching the ActiveMQ Apollo project and they seem to have really good things to say about Scala.

Perhaps it's time to migrate to Scala.

-Mike-

Re: How far behind is the Scala DSL than Java DSL?

Christian Schneider
Hi Mike,

I wonder if the scala DSL would have any impact on performance as it is
just a DSL and should create the same processors for runtime as the
other DSLs.
As far as I understand this it is just a different way of describing the
routes.

Christian

Am 15.09.2011 15:39, schrieb mgardiner:

> Hi Claus,
>
> Thanks for the update and the contribution link.
>
> I am starting to seriously look at moving to Scala DSL.
>
> Have you seen significant performance / scalability increases using Scala
> DSL?
> Does Scala DSL work in an OSGi container?
>
> I've been watching the ActiveMQ Apollo project and they seem to have really
> good things to say about Scala.
>
> Perhaps it's time to migrate to Scala.
>
> -Mike-

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: How far behind is the Scala DSL than Java DSL?

mgardiner
That makes sense.  I would imagine that in order to see any performance and scalability improvements camel-core would need to be re-factored in Scala to take advantage of all the features and benefits Scala offers.  Have there been any thoughts around this effort?

Re: How far behind is the Scala DSL than Java DSL?

Christian Schneider
Not really as that would be more or less a complete rewrite.  The
question is also how much this would really improve in real world scenarios.
Currently we are preparing for beginning work on the 3.0 release. So
this is a good time to think about improvements in the core too.
If you have any good ideas we would be interested to know. I myself do
not know much about Scala but I am quite sure we can adapt some of the
concepts and perhaps
also achieve some improvements in the java version.

Christian

Am 15.09.2011 16:33, schrieb mgardiner:
> That makes sense.  I would imagine that in order to see any performance and
> scalability improvements camel-core would need to be re-factored in Scala to
> take advantage of all the features and benefits Scala offers.  Have there
> been any thoughts around this effort?

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: How far behind is the Scala DSL than Java DSL?

mgardiner
I don't have any Scala experience myself at this point. The ActiveMQ Apollo project looks very promising by adopting Scala. May be something to consider in 3.0 as you indicated.  It would probably be worth some discussion with the Apollo contributors and get some of their thoughts.

Thanks Christian.

-Mike-

Re: How far behind is the Scala DSL than Java DSL?

Preben.Asmussen

One thing I would like to know about is the new paradigme of actors - a la Akka.
How and where would it make sense to use something like Akka.

I have seen Akka is using Camel to expose endpoints, but wouldn't actors fit into Camel as component's somehow ?

Preben