Installing Camel examples in Karaf

12

Installing Camel examples in Karaf

So when people get started with Apache Karaf and Camel (eg not going
down the full ESB with SMX) then I would like to make that much
easier.
For example to tell them how easy you can install some of the examples
we provided with Apache Camel
http://camel.apache.org/examples

Many of these examples have been prepared for OSGi and have embedded
features.xml file, so in theory they are ready to install.

Though I could not find a way to install the example in Karaf without pain.

eg I want to do

cd apache-karaf-2.3.0
bin/karaf

features:choose camel 2.11.0

// and how to install my example, such as camel-example-sql
?????

The camel features does not contain examples.
And frankly I would like Karaf to be able to install a bundle but use
the features.xml file that is included in the JAR in the root
classpath. (Or some other directory if Karaf has a standard for that).

Maybe I can type, eg notice the :feature in the command

osgi:install mvn:feature:org.apache/camel/camel-example-sql/2.11.0

Or some other way to install it.

Then people just need to download Karaf, and they can install Camel
and the examples from Maven.

Now I want them to be able to do this for their custom application as
well, so they can do

osgi:install file:feature:/dev/myproject/target/myapp-1.0.jar

Or something like that.

So how can we make it easier for people to install and try Camel
examples in vanilla Apache Karaf containers?
And how can we make it easier for people to install their own
applications in vanilla Apache Karaf containers,
which uses features.xml file to declare their dependencies.

And NO they do NOT want to use KAR files or some Karaf specific. Their
applications should be plain JARs
that can also run outside Karaf as well.

FuseSource is now part of Red Hat

Re: Installing Camel examples in Karaf

Achim Nierbeck
Hi Clause,

thanks for summing up what we talked of on IRC :)

I think it could be even easier.
We could add a bundle tracker for features.xml files that will install
those with the features service.
For this we don't even need a special syntax of the osgi:install url
(and actually if you want a url-handler to take control of it you need
osgi:install features:mvn:xxxx)

Something like the web-extender of pax-web could be done, and should be
quite easy.

regards, Achim

2013/1/18 Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>

> Hi
>
> So when people get started with Apache Karaf and Camel (eg not going
> down the full ESB with SMX) then I would like to make that much
> easier.
> For example to tell them how easy you can install some of the examples
> we provided with Apache Camel
> http://camel.apache.org/examples
>
> Many of these examples have been prepared for OSGi and have embedded
> features.xml file, so in theory they are ready to install.
>
> Though I could not find a way to install the example in Karaf without pain.
>
> eg I want to do
>
> cd apache-karaf-2.3.0
> bin/karaf
>
> features:choose camel 2.11.0
>
> // and how to install my example, such as camel-example-sql
> ?????
>

> The camel features does not contain examples.
> And frankly I would like Karaf to be able to install a bundle but use
> the features.xml file that is included in the JAR in the root
> classpath. (Or some other directory if Karaf has a standard for that).
>
> Maybe I can type, eg notice the :feature in the command
>
> osgi:install mvn:feature:org.apache/camel/camel-example-sql/2.11.0
>
> Or some other way to install it.
>
> Then people just need to download Karaf, and they can install Camel
> and the examples from Maven.
>
> Now I want them to be able to do this for their custom application as
> well, so they can do
>
> osgi:install file:feature:/dev/myproject/target/myapp-1.0.jar
>
> Or something like that.
>

> So how can we make it easier for people to install and try Camel
> examples in vanilla Apache Karaf containers?
> And how can we make it easier for people to install their own
> applications in vanilla Apache Karaf containers,
> which uses features.xml file to declare their dependencies.
>
> And NO they do NOT want to use KAR files or some Karaf specific. Their
> applications should be plain JARs
> that can also run outside Karaf as well.

> Red Hat, Inc.
> FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
> Email: [hidden email]
> Web: http://fusesource.com
> Twitter: davsclaus
> Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Project Lead
OPS4J Pax for Vaadin <http://team.ops4j.org/wiki/display/PAXVAADIN/Home>
Commiter & Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Installing Camel examples in Karaf

Guillaume Nodet
Administrator
Are you talking about the features deployer ?
Karaf has it already.  You can use osgi:install feature:mvn:xxx or drop the
features file in the deploy directory, or deploy any bundle which has a
META-INF/org.apache.karaf.shell.features/*.xml file inside.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Achim Nierbeck <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > osgi:install mvn:feature:org.apache/camel/camel-example-sql/2.11.0
> >
> > Or some other way to install it.
> >
> > Then people just need to download Karaf, and they can install Camel
> > and the examples from Maven.
> >
> > Now I want them to be able to do this for their custom application as
> > well, so they can do
> >
> > osgi:install file:feature:/dev/myproject/target/myapp-1.0.jar
> >
> > Or something like that.
> >

> > So how can we make it easier for people to install and try Camel
> > examples in vanilla Apache Karaf containers?
> > And how can we make it easier for people to install their own
> > applications in vanilla Apache Karaf containers,
> > which uses features.xml file to declare their dependencies.
> >
> > And NO they do NOT want to use KAR files or some Karaf specific. Their
> > applications should be plain JARs
> > that can also run outside Karaf as well.

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
FuseSource, Integration everywhere
http://fusesource.com

Re: Installing Camel examples in Karaf

Achim Nierbeck
Oh well,

didn't remember the last possibility of the features-deployer :)

thanks, Achim

Commiter & Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Installing Camel examples in Karaf

Guillaume Nodet
Administrator
Fwiw, when you use the url handler or drop the file in the deploy folder,
both methods just generate a bundle which has the feature file inside

http://fusesource.com

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Are you talking about the features deployer ?
> Karaf has it already.  You can use osgi:install feature:mvn:xxx or drop the
> features file in the deploy directory, or deploy any bundle which has a
> META-INF/org.apache.karaf.shell.features/*.xml file inside.

Thanks I did not know about that.

I looked in the docs at:
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-2.3.x/users-guide/provisioning.html

And didn't find any reference about that META-INF dir.

So I tried this on Camel trunk. But didn't have the luck yet.
Notice how the bundle get installed with 2.11-SNAPSHOT as its name. I
guess maybe I do the install command wrong.

davsclaus:/opt/apache-karaf-2.3.0$ bin/karaf
        __ __                  ____
       / //_/____ __________ _/ __/
      / ,<  / __ `/ ___/ __ `/ /_
     / /| |/ /_/ / /  / /_/ / __/
    /_/ |_|\__,_/_/   \__,_/_/

  Apache Karaf (2.3.0)

Hit '<tab>' for a list of available commands
and '[cmd] --help' for help on a specific command.
Hit '<ctrl-d>' or 'osgi:shutdown' to shutdown Karaf.

karaf@root> features:
features:addurl              features:chooseurl
features:info                features:install
features:list                features:listrepositories
features:listurl             features:listversions
features:refreshurl          features:removerepository
features:removeurl           features:uninstall
karaf@root> features:chooseurl camel 2.11-SNAPSHOT
adding feature url
mvn:org.apache.camel.karaf/apache-camel/2.11-SNAPSHOT/xml/features
karaf@root> osgi:install
feature:mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/2.11-SNAPSHOT
Bundle ID: 54
karaf@root> la
START LEVEL 100 , List Threshold: 0
   ID   State         Blueprint      Level  Name
[   0] [Active     ] [            ] [    0] System Bundle (4.0.3)
[   1] [Active     ] [            ] [    5] OPS4J Pax Url - mvn: (1.3.5)
[   2] [Active     ] [            ] [    5] OPS4J Pax Url - wrap: (1.3.5)
[   3] [Active     ] [            ] [    8] OPS4J Pax Logging - Service (1.7.0)
[   4] [Active     ] [            ] [    8] OPS4J Pax Logging - API (1.7.0)
[   5] [Active     ] [            ] [   10] Apache Felix Configuration
Admin Service (1.4.0)
[   6] [Active     ] [            ] [   11] Apache Felix File Install (3.2.6)
[   7] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   20] Apache Aries Blueprint Core (1.0.1)
[   8] [Active     ] [            ] [   20] Apache Aries Util (1.0.0)
[   9] [Active     ] [            ] [   20] Apache Aries Proxy API (1.0.0)
[  10] [Active     ] [            ] [   20] ASM all classes (4.0)
[  11] [Active     ] [            ] [   20] Apache Aries Blueprint API (1.0.0)
[  12] [Active     ] [            ] [   20] Apache Aries Proxy Service (1.0.0)
[  13] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   20] Apache Aries Blueprint CM (1.0.0)
[  14] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   25] Apache Karaf :: Shell ::
Console (2.3.0)
[  15] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   28] Apache Karaf :: Deployer
:: Blueprint (2.3.0)
[  16] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   28] Apache Karaf :: Deployer
:: Spring (2.3.0)
[  17] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Shell :: SSH (2.3.0)
[  18] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Management (2.3.0)
[  19] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Shell ::
Various Commands (2.3.0)
[  20] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Features
:: Core (2.3.0)
[  21] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Shell ::
Log Commands (2.3.0)
[  22] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Features
:: Command (2.3.0)
[  23] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Diagnostic
:: Management (2.3.0)
[  24] [Active     ] [            ] [   30] Apache Mina SSHD :: Core (0.8.0)
[  25] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Deployer
:: Wrap Non OSGi Jar (2.3.0)
[  26] [Active     ] [            ] [   30] Apache MINA Core (2.0.7)
[  27] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Admin ::
Command (2.3.0)
[  28] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Diagnostic
:: Command (2.3.0)
[  29] [Active     ] [            ] [   30] Apache Aries JMX Core (1.0.1)
[  30] [Active     ] [            ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Diagnostic
:: Core (2.3.0)
[  31] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Admin ::
Management (2.3.0)
[  32] [Active     ] [            ] [   30] Apache Aries JMX API (1.0.0)
[  33] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Diagnostic
:: Common (2.3.0)
[  34] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Shell ::
Development Commands (2.3.0)
[  35] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Deployer
:: Features (2.3.0)
[  36] [Active     ] [            ] [   30] Apache Aries JMX Blueprint
API (1.0.0)
[  37] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Jaas ::
Command (2.3.0)
[  38] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: JAAS ::
Modules (2.3.0)
[  39] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Shell ::
OSGi Commands (2.3.0)
[  40] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Features
:: Management (2.3.0)
[  41] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Shell ::
PackageAdmin Commands (2.3.0)
[  42] [Active     ] [            ] [   30] Apache Aries JMX Blueprint
Core (1.0.1)
[  43] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Admin ::
Core (2.3.0)
[  44] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Deployer
:: Karaf Archive (.kar) (2.3.0)
[  45] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: JAAS ::
Config (2.3.0)
[  46] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Shell ::
ConfigAdmin Commands (2.3.0)
[  47] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Management
:: MBeans :: System (2.3.0)
[  48] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Management
:: MBeans :: Bundles (2.3.0)
[  49] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Management
:: MBeans :: Services (2.3.0)
[  50] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Management
:: MBeans :: Config (2.3.0)
[  51] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Management
:: MBeans :: Log (2.3.0)
[  52] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Management
:: MBeans :: Packages (2.3.0)
[  53] [Active     ] [Created     ] [   30] Apache Karaf :: Management
:: MBeans :: Dev (2.3.0)
[  54] [Installed  ] [            ] [   80] 2.11-SNAPSHOT (0.0.0)

And the example contains the features.xml in that directory.

davsclaus:~/workspace/camel/examples/camel-example-sql$ tar -tf
target/camel-example-sql-2.11-SNAPSHOT.jar
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
META-INF/
META-INF/DEPENDENCIES
META-INF/LICENSE
META-INF/LICENSE.txt
META-INF/NOTICE
META-INF/NOTICE.txt
META-INF/maven/
META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/
META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/
META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/pom.properties
META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/pom.xml
META-INF/org/
META-INF/org/apache/
META-INF/org/apache/karaf/
META-INF/org/apache/karaf/shell/
META-INF/org/apache/karaf/shell/features/
META-INF/org/apache/karaf/shell/features/features.xml
META-INF/spring/
META-INF/spring/camel-context.xml
log4j.properties
org/
org/apache/
org/apache/camel/
org/apache/camel/example/
org/apache/camel/example/sql/
org/apache/camel/example/sql/DatabaseBean.class
org/apache/camel/example/sql/OrderBean.class
sql.properties

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Clause,
>
> thanks for summing up what we talked of on IRC :)

Yeah I guess it was a brief summary. I am just trying to push the envelope,
to make developing / using / deploying integration applications with
the Apache stack easier.

There is a ton of developers who dont have the luxury to put their
time deep into how
Karaf / OSGi / SMX / and even sometimes Camel and CXF works.

However their first hurdles is to get their applications into the container.
Whether that is dropping a file into /deploy dir. Or running a single
one liner command.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Fwiw, when you use the url handler or drop the file in the deploy folder,
> both methods just generate a bundle which has the feature file inside
> META-INF/org.apache.karaf.shell.features

I cannot find any details about this in the docs. So maybe its an
"hidden" feature.
Though as I could not get it working. I would be good if a Karaf committer
could take a look in the source code.

As an end user I would love this to work. Its then much easier to deploy
your applications to Karaf, as you can include the features.xml file
that refers to the dependencies.

Then the deploy is very easy as its either
- drop file to deploy dir
- use one line command from shell
- possible deploy from web console, if it has such functionality to
upload a file.

Any thoughts?

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Achim Nierbeck <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Oh well,
>>
>> didn't remember the last possibility of the features-deployer :)
>>
>> thanks, Achim
>>

>> 2013/1/18 Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]>
>>
>> > Are you talking about the features deployer ?
>> > Karaf has it already.  You can use osgi:install feature:mvn:xxx or drop
>> the
>> > features file in the deploy directory, or deploy any bundle which has a
>> > META-INF/org.apache.karaf.shell.features/*.xml file inside.
>> >

>> > On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Achim Nierbeck <
>> [hidden email]

>> examples

>> that).

>> Their

>> Committer
>> > &
>> http://team.ops4j.org/wiki/display/PAXVAADIN/Home>
>> > >

>> > --
>> > ------------------------
>> > Guillaume Nodet
>> > ------------------------
>> > Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>> > ------------------------
>> > FuseSource, Integration everywhere
>> > http://fusesource.com

>> OPS4J Pax Web <http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/> Committer &
>> Project Lead
>> OPS4J Pax for Vaadin <http://team.ops4j.org/wiki/display/PAXVAADIN/Home>
>> Commiter & Project Lead
>> blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>
>>

> --
> ------------------------
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> FuseSource, Integration everywhere
> http://fusesource.com

FuseSource is now part of Red Hat

Re: Installing Camel examples in Karaf

Christian Schneider
For my own examples I normally offer a README.txt with the commands to
install the example.

Like this one:
https://github.com/cschneider/Karaf-Tutorial/blob/master/camel/jms2rest/ReadMe.txt

Of course it is more than one command for a complex example but you can
simply copy/paste the whole commands in one step into karaf and it works.
The only thing needed before is to either call mvn install on the
example or deploy it into maven central which is the case with the camel
examples.

So I think we can simply create such readme files and it should work.

Christian

Am 18.01.2013 12:31, schrieb Claus Ibsen:

> Hi
>
> So when people get started with Apache Karaf and Camel (eg not going
> down the full ESB with SMX) then I would like to make that much
> easier.
> For example to tell them how easy you can install some of the examples
> we provided with Apache Camel
> http://camel.apache.org/examples
>
> Many of these examples have been prepared for OSGi and have embedded
> features.xml file, so in theory they are ready to install.
>
> Though I could not find a way to install the example in Karaf without pain.
>
> eg I want to do
>
> cd apache-karaf-2.3.0
> bin/karaf
>
> features:choose camel 2.11.0
>
> // and how to install my example, such as camel-example-sql
> ?????
>

> The camel features does not contain examples.
> And frankly I would like Karaf to be able to install a bundle but use
> the features.xml file that is included in the JAR in the root
> classpath. (Or some other directory if Karaf has a standard for that).
>
> Maybe I can type, eg notice the :feature in the command
>
> osgi:install mvn:feature:org.apache/camel/camel-example-sql/2.11.0
>
> Or some other way to install it.
>
> Then people just need to download Karaf, and they can install Camel
> and the examples from Maven.
>
> Now I want them to be able to do this for their custom application as
> well, so they can do
>
> osgi:install file:feature:/dev/myproject/target/myapp-1.0.jar
>
> Or something like that.
>

> So how can we make it easier for people to install and try Camel
> examples in vanilla Apache Karaf containers?
> And how can we make it easier for people to install their own
> applications in vanilla Apache Karaf containers,
> which uses features.xml file to declare their dependencies.
>
> And NO they do NOT want to use KAR files or some Karaf specific. Their
> applications should be plain JARs
> that can also run outside Karaf as well.

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Installing Camel examples in Karaf

Christian Mueller
Yes, that will work.
But as I understood from Guillaume, Karaf already provides the "feature
deployer". The question is: Why it doesn't work? ;-)
It would be great if you (or another Karaf committer) could have a look why
it doesn't work for Claus example.

Best,
Christian

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Christian Schneider <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> osgi:install mvn:feature:org.apache/camel/**camel-example-sql/2.11.0
>>
>> Or some other way to install it.
>>
>> Then people just need to download Karaf, and they can install Camel
>> and the examples from Maven.
>>
>> Now I want them to be able to do this for their custom application as
>> well, so they can do
>>
>> osgi:install file:feature:/dev/myproject/**target/myapp-1.0.jar
>>
>> Or something like that.
>>

>> So how can we make it easier for people to install and try Camel
>> examples in vanilla Apache Karaf containers?
>> And how can we make it easier for people to install their own
>> applications in vanilla Apache Karaf containers,
>> which uses features.xml file to declare their dependencies.
>>
>> And NO they do NOT want to use KAR files or some Karaf specific. Their
>> applications should be plain JARs
>> that can also run outside Karaf as well.

Did you also start the bundle? To my understanding a bundle-tracker is only
able to kick in when a bundle is fully resolved. Therefore a start is
needed. You might also do this right when installing with osgi:instll -s
mvn:xxxx

Commiter & Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: Installing Camel examples in Karaf

Claus Ibsen-2
On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Achim Nierbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Did you also start the bundle? To my understanding a bundle-tracker is only
> able to kick in when a bundle is fully resolved. Therefore a start is
> needed. You might also do this right when installing with osgi:instll -s
> mvn:xxxx

Good question so I repeated this morning.

1) copy to deploy directory

When I copy the example JAR to the deploy directory, then the listing says:

[  76] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   50]
geronimo-jta_1.1_spec (1.1.1)
[  77] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   50] camel-spring
(2.11.0.SNAPSHOT)
[  78] [Active     ] [Created     ] [       ] [   50] camel-blueprint
(2.11.0.SNAPSHOT)
[  79] [Installed  ] [            ] [       ] [   80]
camel-example-sql (2.11.0.SNAPSHOT)

But the bundle fails starting as the dependent features/bundle is not installed

2013-01-21 09:02:00,818 | WARN  | raf-2.3.0/deploy | fileinstall
               | ?                                   ? | 6 -
org.apache.felix.fileinstall - 3.2.6 | Error while starting bundle:
file:/opt/apache-karaf-2.3.0/deploy/camel-example-sql-2.11-SNAPSHOT.jar
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unresolved constraint in bundle
org.apache.camel.camel-example-sql [79]: Unable to resolve 79.0:
missing requirement [79.0] osgi.wiring.package;
(&(osgi.wiring.package=org.apache.camel.component.sql)(version>=2.11.0)(!(version>=2.12.0)))
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.resolveBundleRevision(Felix.java:3826)[org.apache.felix.framework-4.0.3.jar:]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:1868)[org.apache.felix.framework-4.0.3.jar:]
        at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleImpl.start(BundleImpl.java:944)[org.apache.felix.framework-4.0.3.jar:]

But notice at least the bundle symbolic name is used in the listing,
so you can see its actual name "camel-example-sql".

2) by installing from shell

karaf@root> osgi:install -s
feature:mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/2.11-SNAPSHOT
Bundle ID: 79

And in the listing we see the bundle has the 2.11-SNAPSHOT as its name.

[  75] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   30] Spring
Transaction (3.0.7.RELEASE)
[  76] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   50]
geronimo-jta_1.1_spec (1.1.1)
[  77] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   50] camel-spring
(2.11.0.SNAPSHOT)
[  78] [Active     ] [Created     ] [       ] [   50] camel-blueprint
(2.11.0.SNAPSHOT)
[  79] [Active     ] [            ] [       ] [   80] 2.11-SNAPSHOT (0.0.0)

And in the logs there is no traces of the example and other
features/bundles being installed.

karaf@root> log:tail
2013-01-21 09:03:16,718 | WARN  | l Console Thread |
MavenRepositoryURL               | maven.commons.MavenRepositoryURL
116 | 1 - org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn - 1.3.5 | Repository spec
http://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/ does not
contain an identifier. This is deprecated & discouraged & just evil.
2013-01-21 09:03:21,133 | INFO  | l Console Thread | Activator
               | apache.camel.impl.osgi.Activator   84 | 60 -
org.apache.camel.camel-core - 2.11.0.SNAPSHOT | Camel activator
starting
2013-01-21 09:03:21,162 | INFO  | l Console Thread | Activator
               | apache.camel.impl.osgi.Activator   87 | 60 -
org.apache.camel.camel-core - 2.11.0.SNAPSHOT | Camel activator
started
2013-01-21 09:03:21,468 | INFO  | l Console Thread |
ContextLoaderListener            | .activator.ContextLoaderListener
354 | 73 - org.springframework.osgi.extender - 1.2.1 | Starting
[org.springframework.osgi.extender] bundle v.[1.2.1]
2013-01-21 09:03:21,604 | INFO  | l Console Thread |
ExtenderConfiguration            | al.support.ExtenderConfiguration
150 | 73 - org.springframework.osgi.extender - 1.2.1 | No custom
extender configuration detected; using defaults...
2013-01-21 09:03:21,614 | INFO  | l Console Thread | TimerTaskExecutor
               | heduling.timer.TimerTaskExecutor  106 | 68 -
org.springframework.context - 3.0.7.RELEASE | Initializing Timer

> [...]
>> META-INF/maven/
>> META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/
>> META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/
>> META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/pom.properties
>> META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/pom.xml
>> META-INF/org/
>> META-INF/org/apache/
>> META-INF/org/apache/karaf/
>> META-INF/org/apache/karaf/shell/
>> META-INF/org/apache/karaf/shell/features/
>> META-INF/org/apache/karaf/shell/features/features.xml
>> META-INF/spring/
>> META-INF/spring/camel-context.xml
>> log4j.properties
>> org/
>> org/apache/
>> org/apache/camel/
>> org/apache/camel/example/
>> org/apache/camel/example/sql/
>> org/apache/camel/example/sql/DatabaseBean.class
>> org/apache/camel/example/sql/OrderBean.class

Charles Moulliard-2
I just had a quick look and discovered that existing code of Karaf 2.3 when
a bundle is deployed using the command
"feature:mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/2.11-SNAPSHOT" does not
install the features file included under META-INF directory.
The existing code will only do that if the status of the bundle is equal to
RESOLVED.

--
Charles Moulliard

Re: Installing Camel examples in Karaf

Charles may have pointed out about the naming of the features file.

Should it be a file in META-INF which has this long name with all the dots?
Or should it be a features.xml file in META-INF/org/apache/... eg deep
down in a sub dir

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> org/
> org/apache/
> org/apache/camel/
> org/apache/camel/example/
> org/apache/camel/example/sql/
> org/apache/camel/example/sql/DatabaseBean.class
> org/apache/camel/example/sql/OrderBean.class
> sql.properties
>

>> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Achim Nierbeck <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Clause,
>>>
>>> thanks for summing up what we talked of on IRC :)
>>>
>>> I think it could be even easier.
>>> We could add a bundle tracker for features.xml files that will install
>>> those with the features service.
>>> For this we don't even need a special syntax of the osgi:install url
>>> (and actually if you want a url-handler to take control of it you need
>>> osgi:install features:mvn:xxxx)
>>>
>>> Something like the web-extender of pax-web could be done, and should be

Convention is : META-INF + "/" + one directory where directory =
"org.apache.karaf.shell.features" + "/" + "*.xml" where * corresponds to a
features.xml file

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > META-INF/maven/
> > META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/
> > META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/
> > META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/pom.properties
> > META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/pom.xml
> > META-INF/org/
> > META-INF/org/apache/
> > META-INF/org/apache/karaf/
> > META-INF/org/apache/karaf/shell/
> > META-INF/org/apache/karaf/shell/features/
> > META-INF/org/apache/karaf/shell/features/features.xml
> > META-INF/spring/
> > META-INF/spring/camel-context.xml
> > log4j.properties
> > org/
> > org/apache/
> > org/apache/camel/
> > org/apache/camel/example/
> > org/apache/camel/example/sql/
> > org/apache/camel/example/sql/DatabaseBean.class
> > org/apache/camel/example/sql/OrderBean.class

Charles Moulliard

Re: Installing Camel examples in Karaf

Guillaume Nodet
Administrator
Raised and fixed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-2134
The workaround is to use the plain http url instead of the mvn url.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> > > META-INF/maven/
> > > META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/
> > > META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/
> > > META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/pom.properties
> > > META-INF/maven/org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/pom.xml
> > > META-INF/org/
> > > META-INF/org/apache/
> > > META-INF/org/apache/karaf/
> > > META-INF/org/apache/karaf/shell/
> > > META-INF/org/apache/karaf/shell/features/
> > > META-INF/org/apache/karaf/shell/features/features.xml
> > > META-INF/spring/
> > > META-INF/spring/camel-context.xml
> > > log4j.properties
> > > org/
> > > org/apache/
> > > org/apache/camel/
> > > org/apache/camel/example/
> > > org/apache/camel/example/sql/
> > > org/apache/camel/example/sql/DatabaseBean.class
> > > org/apache/camel/example/sql/OrderBean.class

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
http://fusesource.com

Re: Installing Camel examples in Karaf

Charles Moulliard-2
Works better. Nevertheless the features defined in the features file
deployed as a bundle are not deployed. Here is an example

[ 127] [Installed  ] [            ] [   80] camel-example-sql
(2.11.0.SNAPSHOT) // CONTAINS FEATURES.XML FILE
karaf@root> listurl
 Loaded   URI
  true
 bundle://118.0:0/META-INF/org.apache.karaf.shell.features/features.xml <--
WELL DEPLOYED

Definition of the features camel-example-sql

karaf@root> features:info camel-example-sql
Description of camel-example-sql 2.11-SNAPSHOT feature
Feature has no configuration
Feature has no configuration files
Feature depends on:
  camel 2.11-SNAPSHOT
  camel-spring 2.11-SNAPSHOT
  camel-sql 2.11-SNAPSHOT
Feature contains followed bundles:
 mvn:org.apache.derby/derby/10.9.1.0
 mvn:mvn:commons-pool/commons-pool/1.6
 mvn:mvn:org.apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.commons-dbcp/1.4_3
 mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/2.11-SNAPSHOT

Excepted camel-example-sql, the others are not deployed/installed

--
Charles Moulliard

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Works better. Nevertheless the features defined in the features file
> deployed as a bundle are not deployed. Here is an example
>
> [ 127] [Installed  ] [            ] [   80] camel-example-sql
> (2.11.0.SNAPSHOT) // CONTAINS FEATURES.XML FILE
> karaf@root> listurl
>  Loaded   URI
>   true
>  bundle://118.0:0/META-INF/org.apache.karaf.shell.features/features.xml <--
> WELL DEPLOYED
>
> Definition of the features camel-example-sql
>
> karaf@root> features:info camel-example-sql
> Description of camel-example-sql 2.11-SNAPSHOT feature
> Feature has no configuration
> Feature has no configuration files
> Feature depends on:
>   camel 2.11-SNAPSHOT
>   camel-spring 2.11-SNAPSHOT
>   camel-sql 2.11-SNAPSHOT
> Feature contains followed bundles:
>  mvn:org.apache.derby/derby/10.9.1.0
>  mvn:mvn:commons-pool/commons-pool/1.6
>  mvn:mvn:org.apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.commons-dbcp/1.4_3
>  mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/2.11-SNAPSHOT
>
> Excepted camel-example-sql, the others are not deployed/installed

Hi Charles

Thanks for testing the karaf changes.
So are you saying that installing the example using the features: in
the url handler now works better.
But doesn't work fully yet?

So are you saying for example that bundles like commons-pool / derby
JDBC driver etc. which
is listed in the features.xml file is not installed?

Also did you try installing the example by dropping the JAR into the
deploy directory?

Though I assume you have prior to that installed camel 2.11 in karaf beforehand?

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Raised and fixed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-2134
>> The workaround is to use the plain http url instead of the mvn url.
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]
>> >wrote:
>>
>> > Convention is : META-INF + "/" + one directory where directory =
>> > "org.apache.karaf.shell.features" + "/" + "*.xml" where * corresponds to
>> > features.xml file

>> > dots?

>> > drop
>> has

>> http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-2.3.x/users-guide/provisioning.html

>> > (1.3.5)
>> > (1.3.5)
>> Service
>> Configuration
>> Core
>> API
>> Service
>> > SSH
>> Management
>> Diagnostic
>> Diagnostic
>> > (1.0.1)
>> Diagnostic
>> > (1.0.0)
>> Diagnostic
>> Blueprint
>> Blueprint
>> Management
>> Management
>> Management
>> Management
>> Management
>> Management
>> Management

>> > install
>> url
>> > need

>> should
>> > be

>> > going

>> > embedded

>> > without

>> > use

>> mvn:feature:org.apache/camel/camel-example-sql/2.11.0

>> Camel

>> application
>> > as

>> > --
>> > Charles Moulliard
>> > Apache Committer / Sr. Enterprise Architect (RedHat)
>> > Twitter : @cmoulliard | Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
>> >

>> --
>> ------------------------
>> Guillaume Nodet
>> ------------------------
>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>> ------------------------
>> FuseSource, Integration everywhere
>> http://fusesource.com
>>

> --
> Charles Moulliard

FuseSource is now part of Red Hat

Re: Installing Camel examples in Karaf

Charles Moulliard-2
Hi Claus,

Procedure to deploy camel example with this instruction install -s
feature:mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-example-sql/2.11-SNAPSHOT works fine now
with that modification (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-2134)
EXCEPTED that the feature content (= bundles) are not installed. Guillaume
has created a ticket to resolve this issue I think so (?)

Remark : Don't think that drag/drop the bundle of camel-example-sql in
deploy directory will work for the reason explained before (but you could
make a test)

Regards,

Charles

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> Management

> >> url
> you

> >> should

> much

> but
> for

> >> mvn:feature:org.apache/camel/camel-example-sql/2.11.0

> >> Camel

> >> application

> Camel

> specific.

> >> --
> >> ------------------------
> >> Guillaume Nodet
> >> ------------------------
> >> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> >> ------------------------
> >> FuseSource, Integration everywhere
> >> http://fusesource.com
> >>

> > --
> > Charles Moulliard
> > Apache Committer / Sr. Enterprise Architect (RedHat)

Charles Moulliard

Re: Installing Camel examples in Karaf

Achim Nierbeck
hmm, afairc the deployment of a feature.xml embedded in a jar was meant to
work this way. It was supposed to install just the feature itself without
starting it right away. This was planned to work this way since it might
result in "Downloading the complete internet" if someone isn't careful with
the features description. We need to check the mailinglist archive on how
we decided.

regards, Achim