Quantcast

Problem with Camel commands and and Karaf 3

Problem with Camel commands and and Karaf 3

Christian Schneider
Hi all,

we provide some camel commands for karaf in our distro. With Karaf 3
there are some incompatible changes in the command API. So currently
camel does not install on Karaf 3.
I will try to work out a solution for the commands to ideally make them
compatible.

For the moment though I propose we remove the command bundle from the
camel-core feature and move it to a command that can be installed
spearately. So Camel can already be used and tested on Karaf 3. Is this
ok? If yes for what versions of camel should I do this change? I think
2.9.x and trunk could make sense.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Problem with Camel commands and and Karaf 3

Claus Ibsen-2
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Christian Schneider
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we provide some camel commands for karaf in our distro. With Karaf 3 there
> are some incompatible changes in the command API. So currently camel does
> not install on Karaf 3.
> I will try to work out a solution for the commands to ideally make them
> compatible.
>
> For the moment though I propose we remove the command bundle from the
> camel-core feature and move it to a command that can be installed
> spearately. So Camel can already be used and tested on Karaf 3. Is this ok?
> If yes for what versions of camel should I do this change? I think 2.9.x and
> trunk could make sense.

What is the compatibly issue?

> Christian
>
> --
> Christian Schneider
> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>
> Open Source Architect

FuseSource
Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews

Re: Problem with Camel commands and and Karaf 3

iocanel
Some gogo packages have migrated inside Karaf.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Christian Schneider
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > we provide some camel commands for karaf in our distro. With Karaf 3
> there
> > are some incompatible changes in the command API. So currently camel does
> > not install on Karaf 3.
> > I will try to work out a solution for the commands to ideally make them
> > compatible.
> >
> > For the moment though I propose we remove the command bundle from the
> > camel-core feature and move it to a command that can be installed
> > spearately. So Camel can already be used and tested on Karaf 3. Is this
> ok?
> > If yes for what versions of camel should I do this change? I think 2.9.x
> and
> > trunk could make sense.
> >

> What is the compatibly issue?
>

> > Christian
> >
> > --
> > Christian Schneider
> > http://www.liquid-reality.de
> >
> > Open Source Architect
> > Talend Application Integration Division http://www.talend.com

> CamelOne 2012 Conference, May 15-16, 2012: http://camelone.com
> FuseSource
> Email: [hidden email]
> Web: http://fusesource.com
> Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews
> Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/

*Ioannis Canellos*
*
FuseSource <http://fusesource.com>

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Twitter: iocanel
*
Ioannis Canellos
http://iocanel.blogspot.com

Re: Problem with Camel commands and and Karaf 3

Christian Schneider
The immediate small issue is that the version range for shell.console
does not include 3.0.0 so it does not even try to install.
I digged a bit deeper and found that the annotations have moved to
another package. The blueprint namespace also changed.
I think it is even more than just namespace changes.

So I am currently investigating if we can provide a compatibility bundle
I am not sure though if it is feasible. As this all will take some time
I think it would make
sense to have the commands as their own feature. This makes us less
dependent on karaf internals anyway. If there is not compat bundle we
can then have two command bundles
one for 3.x and one for 2.x.

I am also working on karaf to create a separate API for karaf commands
so the Karaf community clearly communicates which classes are API and
which are impls.

So we hopefully find a way to keep the API stable for 3.x.

Christian

Am 30.04.2012 11:53, schrieb Claus Ibsen:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Christian Schneider
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we provide some camel commands for karaf in our distro. With Karaf 3 there
>> are some incompatible changes in the command API. So currently camel does
>> not install on Karaf 3.
>> I will try to work out a solution for the commands to ideally make them
>> compatible.
>>
>> For the moment though I propose we remove the command bundle from the
>> camel-core feature and move it to a command that can be installed
>> spearately. So Camel can already be used and tested on Karaf 3. Is this ok?
>> If yes for what versions of camel should I do this change? I think 2.9.x and
>> trunk could make sense.
>>
> What is the compatibly issue?
>

>> Christian
>>
>> --
>> Christian Schneider
>> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>>
>> Open Source Architect

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Problem with Camel commands and and Karaf 3

Jean-Baptiste Onofré

For the others, the incompatible stuff are:
- the version range in the OSGi import statement (it should be something
like [2.2,4) instead of [2.2,3)
- in Karaf 3.0 (trunk), we moved some packages from gogo to karaf, and
so the import statement should be improved

On the other hand, in Karaf 3.0, we introduce shell namespace 1.1
instead of 1.0 which is better for commands definition.

I'm not very in favour of extracting the commands from the camel-core
feature. However, it can make sense:
- if an user doesn't want to provide shell commands in its Karaf runtime
(for instance, to force management of routes via JMX or pro grammatically)
- to fix the current issue

However, I see different solutions:
- once Karaf 3.0 is out, why not to decide the "break" the Karaf 2.2 in
Camel or CXF. It's what we already did. For instance, with Karaf <
2.2.6, you can't install latest CXF version (due to a missing feature
provided by Karaf). So we "forced" users to upgrade to a new Karaf 2.2.x
version. It's right that it's a "minor" ugprade comparing to Karaf 3.0
- we can stay with shell 1.0.0 namespace, upgrade the version range to
[2.2,4) and define gogo and karaf import as optional. Like this we can
support both Karaf 2.2 and Karaf 3.0 version in the same CXF/Camel version.
- provide a "transition" package in Karaf 3.0 (gogo package) which use
the Karaf one.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Problem with Camel commands and and Karaf 3

Willem.Jiang
It could easy for us to break the dependency of karaf 2.2.x when the
karaf 3.x is out.
I don't think the define gogo and karaf import as optional can make the
camel command
 support the karaf 2.2.x and karaf 3.x at the same time, if the user
still want to use the camel command.

--
Willem