Recommend a platform for running Camel

mtod09
I have been running ActiveMQ and Camel for a few years now.
Our organization is in the process of growing to multi locations across the globe.
We are in the process of developing a microservice and agile AWS / docker environment.

I have been looking at Servicemix but the community seems not as focused as it was in the past.

What would be a good framework to support Camel microservices & Activemq multi regional model in a multi location environment?

Some of what I have been looking at has been Fabric8, Karaf,  Kubernetes and docker. I know it would be most likely a combinations but I was hoping I could get some feed back from the community on what the trend is so I don't spend to much time focusing on outdated approaches.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Re: Recommend a platform for running Camel

Christian Schneider
Apache Karaf is a very established platform for Camel. There are also
commercial products based on it like Redhat Fuse and Talend ESB.
At Karaf you will also find instructions to create docker images and custom
distros that already include your route bundles and configs.

Christian

> I have been running ActiveMQ and Camel for a few years now.
> Our organization is in the process of growing to multi locations across the
> globe.
> We are in the process of developing a microservice and agile AWS / docker
> environment.
>
> I have been looking at Servicemix but the community seems not as focused as
> it was in the past.
>
> What would be a good framework to support Camel microservices & Activemq
> multi regional model in a multi location environment?
>
> Some of what I have been looking at has been Fabric8, Karaf,  Kubernetes
> and
> docker. I know it would be most likely a combinations but I was hoping I
> could get some feed back from the community on what the trend is so I don't
> spend to much time focusing on outdated approaches.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Mike

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com
<https://owa.talend.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=3aa4083e0c744ae1ba52bd062c5a7e46&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.talend.com>

Re: Recommend a platform for running Camel

souciance

I use Camel java dsl with blueprint as my route setup and then deploy it inside a custom distribution of karaf. I then generate a docker image for the custom distribution and let ansible deploy it to my ec2 instance in aws. I guess next tech trend is to look at aws lambda and step functions.

Best
Souciance

Den 12 mars 2017 6:01 em skrev "mtod09 [via Camel]" <[hidden email]>:
I have been running ActiveMQ and Camel for a few years now.
Our organization is in the process of growing to multi locations across the globe.
We are in the process of developing a microservice and agile AWS / docker environment.

I have been looking at Servicemix but the community seems not as focused as it was in the past.

What would be a good framework to support Camel microservices & Activemq multi regional model in a multi location environment?

Some of what I have been looking at has been Fabric8, Karaf,  Kubernetes and docker. I know it would be most likely a combinations but I was hoping I could get some feed back from the community on what the trend is so I don't spend to much time focusing on outdated approaches.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

http://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/Recommend-a-platform-for-running-Camel-tp5795331.html
To start a new topic under Camel - Users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Camel - Users, click here.
NAML

Re: Recommend a platform for running Camel

Yeah I would recommend looking at microservice / servless containers
like Spring Boot, WildFly Swarm if you talk about container based
platform. And if you have less integration needs then an alternative
like vert.x looks interresting, but give it a little more to become a
bit better at cloud first.

Camel works great with Spring Boot and all the components provide
spring boot auto configuration and there are starter artifacts that
makes developing Camel application on Spring Boot first class.

I would only look at Karaf / ServiceMix if you have OSGi experience already.
If not its better to stay clear of that. OSGi has too much pain and no
gain in the cloud world.

The Camel in Action 2nd edition book has chapter on microservices with
Camel and upcoming chapters on using Camel with docker, containers and
a container based platform like kubernetes.

A good book on developing microservices with Java (not covering Camel)
is Christian Posta's book which is free to download from Red Hat (they
sponsored the book)
https://developers.redhat.com/promotions/microservices-for-java-developers

And make sure to check out fabric8 maven plugin for building docker
images / run containers etc, and as a developer to make it run as if
you run local development with the run and debug goals.
https://maven.fabric8.io/

There is a video on youtube showing this in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYrCW1SjpOI&t=385s

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 6:00 PM, mtod09 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been running ActiveMQ and Camel for a few years now.
> Our organization is in the process of growing to multi locations across the
> globe.
> We are in the process of developing a microservice and agile AWS / docker
> environment.
>
> I have been looking at Servicemix but the community seems not as focused as
> it was in the past.
>
> What would be a good framework to support Camel microservices & Activemq
> multi regional model in a multi location environment?
>
> Some of what I have been looking at has been Fabric8, Karaf,  Kubernetes and
> docker. I know it would be most likely a combinations but I was hoping I
> could get some feed back from the community on what the trend is so I don't
> spend to much time focusing on outdated approaches.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Mike

Re: Recommend a platform for running Camel

mtod09
Thanks everyone for the feedback it really helps.

And Claus I have the first book and look forward to the 2nd.
I have been watching your videos they have been a great help.

So far I have been testing out Servicemix and setup it up on docker I think I'll take a look at Spring Boot and fabric8/kubernetes thats looks interesting.

Re: Recommend a platform for running Camel

Christian Schneider
If you plan to do one integration per process then spring boot is a good
idea. Keep in mind though that you will run lots of processes with a
hefty memory consumption. On the plus side the integrations will be very
independent of each other.

Christian

On 12.03.2017 21:35, mtod09 wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the feedback it really helps.
>
> And Claus I have the first book and look forward to the 2nd.
> I have been watching your videos they have been a great help.
>
> So far I have been testing out Servicemix and setup it up on docker I think
> I'll take a look at Spring Boot and fabric8/kubernetes thats looks
> interesting.
>
> Thanks

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Recommend a platform for running Camel

mtod09
Thanks Christian,

I agree I think we will need more ability to manage the processes as we scale.

I tried the SpringBoot approach over the weekend very easy to get going but I'm not seeing any way to manage a large number of processes.

On to the next option fabric8/kubernetes.

Re: Recommend a platform for running Camel

Mark Nuttall
You can use spring boot admin to do some admin. Eventually you will want to
use something like  fabric8\kubernetes or cloudfoundry to manage spring
boot apps. All the goodness in it makes it "easy" to manage. Starting with
spring boot admin might be a way to go while you figure out kubernetes.

On Mar 13, 2017 10:34 AM, "mtod09" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Christian,
>
> I agree I think we will need more ability to manage the processes as we
> scale.
>
> I tried the SpringBoot approach over the weekend very easy to get going but
> I'm not seeing any way to manage a large number of processes.
>
> On to the next option fabric8/kubernetes.

Re: Recommend a platform for running Camel

mtod09
Thanks Mark,

I was just logging on to ask that exact question. The Spring Boot seems like a pretty clean way of packaging and delivering Camel to Docker.

Mike

Re: Recommend a platform for running Camel

souciance
Here is a tutorial that shows how to build the same using a custom distribution of karaf and camel inside docker.

I have stayed away from the hardcore osgi stuff and just used it as a barebone container and that has worked well.

http://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/Recommend-a-platform-for-running-Camel-tp5795331p5795397.html
NAML

Re: Recommend a platform for running Camel

Mark Nuttall
It is. :)  There are other ways. As fully featured? (aka 12 factored app).
I've not found it. FYI - You will need more than just Docker (see the
things I mentioned).

I was on my tablet at work earlier so it was tough to type and send links.
So, for completeness, here is the link to Spring Boot Admin
https://github.com/codecentric/spring-boot-admin
and a video -
https://spring.io/blog/2016/12/07/spring-tips-bootiful-dashboards

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 5:28 PM, mtod09 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Mark,
>
> I was just logging on to ask that exact question. The Spring Boot seems
> like
> a pretty clean way of packaging and delivering Camel to Docker.
>
> Mike

Re: Recommend a platform for running Camel

souciance
I am no Karaf expert but yes those features exist in the Karaf world as well. You can install decanter which has alerting, monitoring, kibana for logs and metrics. Off course you can install hawtio inside karaf as well.

I guess one critical thing to consider is whether you want to completely separate your services so that they are independent of each other. The advantage being failure or a bug in one does not affect the others. That is the path I chose. I am not sure how spring admin works. Do you need to embed it in every service and access it via a URL or does it connect remotely to each service? Anyway for metrics and system level monitoring of our docker containers and ec2 instances  we choose to go with telegraf  and grafana. It works really well and we can view the metrics of each service we have deployed. Grafana 4 has alerts so we can send slack messages if memory or cpu goes up.  Then we added the elk stack for viewing logs and trigger alerts for application level errors.

Would be interesting to hear from those we have worked with spring admin and how they have done their setup.

http://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/Recommend-a-platform-for-running-Camel-tp5795331p5795400.html
NAML

Re: Recommend a platform for running Camel

souciance
I also have jolokia installed as a karaf feature in every service deployed and then use a local hawtio installation to connect to each service and view camel metrics or perform other operations.

NAML

Re: Recommend a platform for running Camel

Christian Schneider
That is always a problem with the cloud oriented dev platforms like
spring boot. You practically need a cloud from the start.
Also beware of all the additional services /  considerations you need
like service discovery, resilience, hardware abstractiobn ...

Kubernetes is surely a good bet but not easy to get started professionally.

Christian