Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

12

Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

hadrian
There are 57 issues fixed on the 1.5.1 branch so far and a few more
coming in the following couple of weeks.

I'd suggest releasing a 1.5.1 before the end of the month.  What do
you think?

Hadrian

Re: Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

Jon Anstey
Do you think we need another release so soon? We just released 1.5 a month
ago :) I'm just saying its a bit of work for you to put a release out, isn't
it?

--
Cheers,
Jon

http://janstey.blogspot.com/

Re: Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

Claus Ibsen-2
End-of-month = end-of-year, then yeah that would be nice.

End-users on the 1.4/1.5 series would like to know that we also make
patch releases from time to time. Instead of waiting until summer 2009
before a 1.5.1 is released.

/Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer
Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Jon Anstey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you think we need another release so soon? We just released 1.5 a month
> ago :) I'm just saying its a bit of work for you to put a release out, isn't
> it?
>
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> There are 57 issues fixed on the 1.5.1 branch so far and a few more coming
>> in the following couple of weeks.
>>
>> I'd suggest releasing a 1.5.1 before the end of the month.  What do you
>> think?
>>
>> Hadrian
>>

> --
> Cheers,
> Jon
>
> http://janstey.blogspot.com/

Re: Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

We could mark 1.5.1 as a Christmas version of camel :)

Willem

Claus Ibsen wrote:

> End-of-month = end-of-year, then yeah that would be nice.
>
> End-users on the 1.4/1.5 series would like to know that we also make
> patch releases from time to time. Instead of waiting until summer 2009
> before a 1.5.1 is released.
>

> /Claus Ibsen
> Apache Camel Committer
> Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
>

> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Jon Anstey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Do you think we need another release so soon? We just released 1.5 a month
>> ago :) I'm just saying its a bit of work for you to put a release out, isn't
>> it?
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> There are 57 issues fixed on the 1.5.1 branch so far and a few more coming
>>> in the following couple of weeks.
>>>
>>> I'd suggest releasing a 1.5.1 before the end of the month.  What do you
>>> think?
>>>
>>> Hadrian
>>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Jon
>>
>> http://janstey.blogspot.com/

Re: Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

Claus Ibsen-2
Yeah

camel-xmas should be the artifactId

;)

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Willem Jiang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We could mark 1.5.1 as a Christmas version of camel :)
>
> Willem
>
> Claus Ibsen wrote:
>> End-of-month = end-of-year, then yeah that would be nice.
>>
>> End-users on the 1.4/1.5 series would like to know that we also make
>> patch releases from time to time. Instead of waiting until summer 2009
>> before a 1.5.1 is released.
>>

>> /Claus Ibsen
>> Apache Camel Committer
>> Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Jon Anstey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Do you think we need another release so soon? We just released 1.5 a month
>>> ago :) I'm just saying its a bit of work for you to put a release out, isn't
>>> it?

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jon
>>>
>>> http://janstey.blogspot.com/

Re: Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

hadrian
1.5.0 was the Halloween version.  We need to plan for a Valentine and
Easter version then...

Now this is a predictable release cycle :)

On Dec 1, 2008, at 9:27 AM, Willem Jiang wrote:

> We could mark 1.5.1 as a Christmas version of camel :)
>
> Willem
>
> Claus Ibsen wrote:
>> End-of-month = end-of-year, then yeah that would be nice.
>>
>> End-users on the 1.4/1.5 series would like to know that we also make
>> patch releases from time to time. Instead of waiting until summer
>> 2009
>> before a 1.5.1 is released.
>>

>> /Claus Ibsen
>> Apache Camel Committer
>> Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Jon Anstey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Do you think we need another release so soon? We just released 1.5
>>> a month
>>> ago :) I'm just saying its a bit of work for you to put a release
>>> out, isn't
>>> it?

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jon
>>>
>>> http://janstey.blogspot.com/

Re: Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

Jon Anstey
So I had to search google after Willems comment... I think this would be a
good image for a blog post about camel 1.5.1 ;)

http://www.restarea1mile.com/P1010173.jpg

--
Cheers,
Jon

http://janstey.blogspot.com/

Re: Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

Claus Ibsen-2
Yeah that would be a dream having that Camel on the box cover ;)

Anyone good with Photoshop ;)

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Jon Anstey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I had to search google after Willems comment... I think this would be a
> good image for a blog post about camel 1.5.1 ;)
>
> http://www.restarea1mile.com/P1010173.jpg
>
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 1.5.0 was the Halloween version.  We need to plan for a Valentine and
>> Easter version then...
>>
>> Now this is a predictable release cycle :)
>>

>> On Dec 1, 2008, at 9:27 AM, Willem Jiang wrote:
>>
>>  We could mark 1.5.1 as a Christmas version of camel :)
>>>
>>> Willem

> --
> Cheers,
> Jon
>
> http://janstey.blogspot.com/

Re: Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

Martin Gilday
Speaking as an end user I'd quite like to see maintenance releases
coming out of Camel.  You guys are really great at responding to users'
feedback and fixing bugs but that is in vain if they have to wait for 3
months until the next major rlease.  Users can be uncomfotable running
against snapshots in production, so a fix release every month or so
would make us feel cosy.  As Maven is being used is there much more to
releasing other than a few svn copy commands and a maven deploy?  If it
is seen as a hassle then can we look at simplifying it so that it can
happen more often without taking up committers time?

--
Cheers,
Jon

http://janstey.blogspot.com/

Re: Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

hadrian
Producing the kit is not the main issue.  Quite a few of us spend time
downloading the rc, running the demos, looking at content of the
distro, checking if all the artifacts are there, the manual is
generated ok and so forth.  This is time consuming.  Then there is the
voting process.  Sometimes we get -1s for a bad kit (although that
didn't happen in a while afairc), sometimes because a committer has a
strong opinion about a jira issue that must go in the release, which
puts us back to square one.  All in all the process for a release
candidate takes 3-5 days.

Cheers,
Hadrian

On Dec 1, 2008, at 11:09 AM, Martin Gilday wrote:

> Speaking as an end user I'd quite like to see maintenance releases
> coming out of Camel.  You guys are really great at responding to
> users'
> feedback and fixing bugs but that is in vain if they have to wait
> for 3
> months until the next major rlease.  Users can be uncomfotable running
> against snapshots in production, so a fix release every month or so
> would make us feel cosy.  As Maven is being used is there much more to
> releasing other than a few svn copy commands and a maven deploy?  If
> it
> is seen as a hassle then can we look at simplifying it so that it can
> happen more often without taking up committers time?

I think we should start getting a RC for 1.5.1 out of the door this or
start of next week.

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Producing the kit is not the main issue.  Quite a few of us spend time
> downloading the rc, running the demos, looking at content of the distro,
> checking if all the artifacts are there, the manual is generated ok and so
> forth.  This is time consuming.  Then there is the voting process.
>  Sometimes we get -1s for a bad kit (although that didn't happen in a while
> afairc), sometimes because a committer has a strong opinion about a jira
> issue that must go in the release, which puts us back to square one.  All in
> all the process for a release candidate takes 3-5 days.
>
> Cheers,
> Hadrian
>

> On Dec 1, 2008, at 11:09 AM, Martin Gilday wrote:
>
>> Speaking as an end user I'd quite like to see maintenance releases
>> coming out of Camel.  You guys are really great at responding to users'
>> feedback and fixing bugs but that is in vain if they have to wait for 3
>> months until the next major rlease.  Users can be uncomfotable running
>> against snapshots in production, so a fix release every month or so
>> would make us feel cosy.  As Maven is being used is there much more to
>> releasing other than a few svn copy commands and a maven deploy?  If it
>> is seen as a hassle then can we look at simplifying it so that it can
>> happen more often without taking up committers time?

Any update on when you have the time to cut a 1.5.1 RC?
We have some rather important bunch of fixes in it.

--

/Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer

Re: Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

jstrachan
Looking at the 89 issues in 1.5.1, there's quite a few improvements
and new features. I wonder if we should call it 1.6?

http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com/

Re: Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

Claus Ibsen-2
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:46 AM, James Strachan
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looking at the 89 issues in 1.5.1, there's quite a few improvements
> and new features. I wonder if we should call it 1.6?
Yeah many other frameworks etc. that have even fewer tickets in the
roadmap will bump the version to 1.6.

I guess since we have stated 1.5.1 in the wiki doc and if we call it
1.6 then end users will still know/assume that this also applies to

--

/Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer

Re: Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

jstrachan
2008/12/17 Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:46 AM, James Strachan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Looking at the 89 issues in 1.5.1, there's quite a few improvements
>> and new features. I wonder if we should call it 1.6?
> Yeah many other frameworks etc. that have even fewer tickets in the
> roadmap will bump the version to 1.6.
>
> I guess since we have stated 1.5.1 in the wiki doc and if we call it
> 1.6 then end users will still know/assume that this also applies to
> 1.6

No worries - I guess its a relatively minor release, as releases go.

http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com/

Re: Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

hadrian

Just got back from a long vacation.  Wow, it felt good :).

Sure, let me take a look at what outstanding.  The branch is 1.x so we
could go with a 1.6 (and I think that would be my preference too). Is
there a consensus on the version number?

Cheers
Hadrian

On Dec 17, 2008, at 3:40 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:

> Hadrian
>
> Any update on when you have the time to cut a 1.5.1 RC?
> We have some rather important bunch of fixes in it.
>

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I think we should start getting a RC for 1.5.1 out of the door this
>> or
>> start of next week.
>>
>> /Claus Ibsen
>> Apache Camel Committer
>> Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Producing the kit is not the main issue.  Quite a few of us spend
>>> time
>>> downloading the rc, running the demos, looking at content of the
>>> distro,
>>> checking if all the artifacts are there, the manual is generated
>>> ok and so
>>> forth.  This is time consuming.  Then there is the voting process.
>>> Sometimes we get -1s for a bad kit (although that didn't happen in
>>> a while
>>> afairc), sometimes because a committer has a strong opinion about
>>> a jira
>>> issue that must go in the release, which puts us back to square
>>> one.  All in
>>> all the process for a release candidate takes 3-5 days.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Hadrian

Can't we rename the page to 1.6 and add a note like " due to the large
number of fixes we bumped up the version..." ?

Hadrian

On Dec 17, 2008, at 7:31 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:46 AM, James Strachan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Looking at the 89 issues in 1.5.1, there's quite a few improvements
>> and new features. I wonder if we should call it 1.6?
> Yeah many other frameworks etc. that have even fewer tickets in the
> roadmap will bump the version to 1.6.
>
> I guess since we have stated 1.5.1 in the wiki doc and if we call it
> 1.6 then end users will still know/assume that this also applies to
> 1.6
>

>> 2008/12/17 Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hadrian
>>>
>>> Any update on when you have the time to cut a 1.5.1 RC?
>>> We have some rather important bunch of fixes in it.

+1 for the use the 1.6 as the new release version of Camel.
Here is a question for the JIRA version.
Is there any batch tool can help us to change the version from 1.5.1 to 1.6?

Willem

Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just got back from a long vacation.  Wow, it felt good :).
>
> Sure, let me take a look at what outstanding.  The branch is 1.x so we
> could go with a 1.6 (and I think that would be my preference too). Is
> there a consensus on the version number?
>
> Cheers
> Hadrian
>
> On Dec 17, 2008, at 3:40 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
>
>> Hadrian
>>
>> Any update on when you have the time to cut a 1.5.1 RC?
>> We have some rather important bunch of fixes in it.
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I think we should start getting a RC for 1.5.1 out of the door this or
>>> start of next week.
>>>
>>> /Claus Ibsen
>>> Apache Camel Committer
>>> Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/

I'm pretty sure we can just rename the version in JIRA.

http://janstey.blogspot.com/

Re: Release camel 1.5.1 this month?

Jon Anstey
Also, +1 for the change to 1.6