Tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x releases in 2020

Tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x releases in 2020

Lets put a tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x for this year,
where we make it more obvious which releases are LTS and which are
not.

For example having 2 yearly LTS releases and then non TLS in between
allows us to innovate and move faster, but also offer production safe
stable branches where end users can stay on for a longer time and get
CVE and important/critical bugfixes only. Note that we should shy away
from doing other fixes on these LTS branches as they are meant for
"rock sold and only really important bug fixes". Not small
improvements, and it would be nice to have if X can also do this etc.
Lets put this kind into the non LTS releases first (when possible).

A plan could be something like

Camel 3.1.0 in Feb 2020 (no LTS)
Camel 3.2.0 in April 2020 (no LTS)
Camel 3.3.0 in June 2020 (LTS)
Camel 3.4.0 in Aug 2020 (no LTS)
Camel 3.5.0 in Oct 2020 (LTS)
Camel 3.6.0 in Dec 2020 (no LTS)

And then we do Camel 3.3.x and 3.6.x patch releases from time to time,
and for about 12 months, eg 2 LTS's back, eg 3.3.x is EOL when Camel
3.9.0 LTS is released (about 1 year later).

Any thoughts?

Re: Tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x releases in 2020

Andrea Cosentino-3
I think this is a good approach and make us free to innovate and add new
stuff.

+1 from my side.

Il giorno lun 2 mar 2020 alle ore 12:26 Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> Hi
>
> Lets put a tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x for this year,
> where we make it more obvious which releases are LTS and which are
> not.
>
> For example having 2 yearly LTS releases and then non TLS in between
> allows us to innovate and move faster, but also offer production safe
> stable branches where end users can stay on for a longer time and get
> CVE and important/critical bugfixes only. Note that we should shy away
> from doing other fixes on these LTS branches as they are meant for
> "rock sold and only really important bug fixes". Not small
> improvements, and it would be nice to have if X can also do this etc.
> Lets put this kind into the non LTS releases first (when possible).
>
> A plan could be something like
>
> Camel 3.1.0 in Feb 2020 (no LTS)
> Camel 3.2.0 in April 2020 (no LTS)
> Camel 3.3.0 in June 2020 (LTS)
> Camel 3.4.0 in Aug 2020 (no LTS)
> Camel 3.5.0 in Oct 2020 (LTS)
> Camel 3.6.0 in Dec 2020 (no LTS)
>
> And then we do Camel 3.3.x and 3.6.x patch releases from time to time,
> and for about 12 months, eg 2 LTS's back, eg 3.3.x is EOL when Camel
> 3.9.0 LTS is released (about 1 year later).
>

> Any thoughts?

Re: Tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x releases in 2020

Ups the last two should be flipped, eg

Camel 3.5.0 in Oct 2020 (no LTS)
Camel 3.6.0 in Dec 2020 (LTS)

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 12:26 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Lets put a tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x for this year,
> where we make it more obvious which releases are LTS and which are
> not.
>
> For example having 2 yearly LTS releases and then non TLS in between
> allows us to innovate and move faster, but also offer production safe
> stable branches where end users can stay on for a longer time and get
> CVE and important/critical bugfixes only. Note that we should shy away
> from doing other fixes on these LTS branches as they are meant for
> "rock sold and only really important bug fixes". Not small
> improvements, and it would be nice to have if X can also do this etc.
> Lets put this kind into the non LTS releases first (when possible).
>
> A plan could be something like
>
> Camel 3.1.0 in Feb 2020 (no LTS)
> Camel 3.2.0 in April 2020 (no LTS)
> Camel 3.3.0 in June 2020 (LTS)
> Camel 3.4.0 in Aug 2020 (no LTS)
> Camel 3.5.0 in Oct 2020 (LTS)
> Camel 3.6.0 in Dec 2020 (no LTS)
>
> And then we do Camel 3.3.x and 3.6.x patch releases from time to time,
> and for about 12 months, eg 2 LTS's back, eg 3.3.x is EOL when Camel
> 3.9.0 LTS is released (about 1 year later).
>

> Any thoughts?

Re: Tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x releases in 2020

Omar Al-Safi
Sounds good. +1

Regards,

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020, 12:30 Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ups the last two should be flipped, eg
>
> Camel 3.5.0 in Oct 2020 (no LTS)
> Camel 3.6.0 in Dec 2020 (LTS)
>
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 12:26 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Lets put a tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x for this year,
> > where we make it more obvious which releases are LTS and which are
> > not.
> >
> > For example having 2 yearly LTS releases and then non TLS in between
> > allows us to innovate and move faster, but also offer production safe
> > stable branches where end users can stay on for a longer time and get
> > CVE and important/critical bugfixes only. Note that we should shy away
> > from doing other fixes on these LTS branches as they are meant for
> > "rock sold and only really important bug fixes". Not small
> > improvements, and it would be nice to have if X can also do this etc.
> > Lets put this kind into the non LTS releases first (when possible).
> >
> > A plan could be something like
> >
> > Camel 3.1.0 in Feb 2020 (no LTS)
> > Camel 3.2.0 in April 2020 (no LTS)
> > Camel 3.3.0 in June 2020 (LTS)
> > Camel 3.4.0 in Aug 2020 (no LTS)
> > Camel 3.5.0 in Oct 2020 (LTS)
> > Camel 3.6.0 in Dec 2020 (no LTS)
> >
> > And then we do Camel 3.3.x and 3.6.x patch releases from time to time,
> > and for about 12 months, eg 2 LTS's back, eg 3.3.x is EOL when Camel
> > 3.9.0 LTS is released (about 1 year later).
> >

> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: Tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x releases in 2020

jbonofre
Hi Claus,

It sounds good to me !

Regards
JB

> Le 2 mars 2020 à 12:30, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Ups the last two should be flipped, eg
>
> Camel 3.5.0 in Oct 2020 (no LTS)
> Camel 3.6.0 in Dec 2020 (LTS)
>
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 12:26 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Lets put a tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x for this year,
>> where we make it more obvious which releases are LTS and which are
>> not.
>>
>> For example having 2 yearly LTS releases and then non TLS in between
>> allows us to innovate and move faster, but also offer production safe
>> stable branches where end users can stay on for a longer time and get
>> CVE and important/critical bugfixes only. Note that we should shy away
>> from doing other fixes on these LTS branches as they are meant for
>> "rock sold and only really important bug fixes". Not small
>> improvements, and it would be nice to have if X can also do this etc.
>> Lets put this kind into the non LTS releases first (when possible).
>>
>> A plan could be something like
>>
>> Camel 3.1.0 in Feb 2020 (no LTS)
>> Camel 3.2.0 in April 2020 (no LTS)
>> Camel 3.3.0 in June 2020 (LTS)
>> Camel 3.4.0 in Aug 2020 (no LTS)
>> Camel 3.5.0 in Oct 2020 (LTS)
>> Camel 3.6.0 in Dec 2020 (no LTS)
>>
>> And then we do Camel 3.3.x and 3.6.x patch releases from time to time,
>> and for about 12 months, eg 2 LTS's back, eg 3.3.x is EOL when Camel
>> 3.9.0 LTS is released (about 1 year later).
>>

>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> Claus Ibsen
>> -----------------
>> http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

RE: Tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x releases in 2020

Ajmera, Hemang C
   From the user perspective LTS is a welcome move. I liked the approach which is proposed here. You can also refer to Ubuntu release cycle[1] where every 6 month there is new release and every 2 year there is LTS release. LTS are supported for 5 years. So if we sum up, Every fourth release is LTS, and life of LTS is for 2.5 LTS cycle.

For camel world the release would be more frequent compared to Ubuntu

So every six month 1 LTS and two releases in between should be fine. If we want more frequent release we can have 3 non LTS release in between, i.e. release after every 6 weeks.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Thanks and Regards,
Hemang Ajmera

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 12:26 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Lets put a tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x for this year,
> where we make it more obvious which releases are LTS and which are
> not.
>
> For example having 2 yearly LTS releases and then non TLS in between
> allows us to innovate and move faster, but also offer production safe
> stable branches where end users can stay on for a longer time and get
> CVE and important/critical bugfixes only. Note that we should shy away
> from doing other fixes on these LTS branches as they are meant for
> "rock sold and only really important bug fixes". Not small
> improvements, and it would be nice to have if X can also do this etc.
> Lets put this kind into the non LTS releases first (when possible).
>
> A plan could be something like
>
> Camel 3.1.0 in Feb 2020 (no LTS)
> Camel 3.2.0 in April 2020 (no LTS)
> Camel 3.3.0 in June 2020 (LTS)
> Camel 3.4.0 in Aug 2020 (no LTS)
> Camel 3.5.0 in Oct 2020 (LTS)
> Camel 3.6.0 in Dec 2020 (no LTS)
>
> And then we do Camel 3.3.x and 3.6.x patch releases from time to time,
> and for about 12 months, eg 2 LTS's back, eg 3.3.x is EOL when Camel
> 3.9.0 LTS is released (about 1 year later).
>

> Any thoughts?

Re: Tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x releases in 2020

Andrea Cosentino-3
The reason is just having a time boxed approach. Otherwise it may ends
without having a LTS at all

Il mar 3 mar 2020, 20:18 Federico Valeri <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi, I'm +1 with LTS support, but what are the benefits of such strict
> schedule?
>
> I think that would be better to release as LTS whenever it makes sense.
>
> my2cents
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2020, 5:59 AM Ajmera, Hemang C <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >    From the user perspective LTS is a welcome move. I liked the approach
> > which is proposed here. You can also refer to Ubuntu release cycle[1]
> where
> > every 6 month there is new release and every 2 year there is LTS release.
> > LTS are supported for 5 years. So if we sum up, Every fourth release is
> > LTS, and life of LTS is for 2.5 LTS cycle.
> >
> > For camel world the release would be more frequent compared to Ubuntu
> >
> > So every six month 1 LTS and two releases in between should be fine. If
> we
> > want more frequent release we can have 3 non LTS release in between, i.e.
> > release after every 6 weeks.
> >

> > [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
> >
> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Hemang Ajmera

gnodet
A schedule can be changed, but at least it gives a reference for users to
look at and set some expectations.

Le mar. 3 mars 2020 à 20:18, Federico Valeri <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Hi, I'm +1 with LTS support, but what are the benefits of such strict
> schedule?
>
> I think that would be better to release as LTS whenever it makes sense.
>
> my2cents
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2020, 5:59 AM Ajmera, Hemang C <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >    From the user perspective LTS is a welcome move. I liked the approach
> > which is proposed here. You can also refer to Ubuntu release cycle[1]
> where
> > every 6 month there is new release and every 2 year there is LTS release.
> > LTS are supported for 5 years. So if we sum up, Every fourth release is
> > LTS, and life of LTS is for 2.5 LTS cycle.
> >
> > For camel world the release would be more frequent compared to Ubuntu
> >
> > So every six month 1 LTS and two releases in between should be fine. If
> we
> > want more frequent release we can have 3 non LTS release in between, i.e.
> > release after every 6 weeks.
> >

> > [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
> >
> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Hemang Ajmera

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x releases in 2020

Claus Ibsen-2
On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 1:35 PM Federico Valeri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guillame, this is exaclty the problem I see, users setting expectations
> on a tentative release schedule.
>
> I agree that is useful to trace a roadmap, but we should put a warning note
> in case we publish the schedule on the website.

Yes a note will be there that the schedule is subject for change, but
it should not be as dramatic as a warning.

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2020, 9:17 PM Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > A schedule can be changed, but at least it gives a reference for users to
> > look at and set some expectations.
> >
> > Le mar. 3 mars 2020 à 20:18, Federico Valeri <[hidden email]> a
> > écrit :
> >
> > > Hi, I'm +1 with LTS support, but what are the benefits of such strict
> > > schedule?
> > >
> > > I think that would be better to release as LTS whenever it makes sense.
> > >
> > > my2cents

> > approach
> > > where
> > release.

> > > we
> > i.e.

This is open source project, users may have expectations, but the community
set the roadmap and eventually change it.

Il giorno mer 4 mar 2020 alle ore 13:35 Federico Valeri <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi Guillame, this is exaclty the problem I see, users setting expectations
> on a tentative release schedule.
>
> I agree that is useful to trace a roadmap, but we should put a warning note
> in case we publish the schedule on the website.
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2020, 9:17 PM Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > A schedule can be changed, but at least it gives a reference for users to
> > look at and set some expectations.
> >
> > Le mar. 3 mars 2020 à 20:18, Federico Valeri <[hidden email]> a
> > écrit :
> >
> > > Hi, I'm +1 with LTS support, but what are the benefits of such strict
> > > schedule?
> > >
> > > I think that would be better to release as LTS whenever it makes sense.
> > >
> > > my2cents

> > approach
> > > where
> > release.
> is

> If
> > > we
> > i.e.

I have put together a draft for a post on the Camel website
https://github.com/apache/camel-website/blob/schedule/content/blog/LTS-Release-Schedule/index.md

Feedback is welcome so we can amend/update the content and post it later.

After that I think we should update the download page to include this
information, or add a new page, and then refer to it from download or
something like that.

The download page currently has some script to automatic list X
releases back. This likely needs to be removed or updated so it can do
something like the schedule table, and then for the LTS we just have
the latest patch release, eg Camel 3.3.2. (like Karaf has:
http://karaf.apache.org/download.html)

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 12:26 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Lets put a tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x for this year,
> where we make it more obvious which releases are LTS and which are
> not.
>
> For example having 2 yearly LTS releases and then non TLS in between
> allows us to innovate and move faster, but also offer production safe
> stable branches where end users can stay on for a longer time and get
> CVE and important/critical bugfixes only. Note that we should shy away
> from doing other fixes on these LTS branches as they are meant for
> "rock sold and only really important bug fixes". Not small
> improvements, and it would be nice to have if X can also do this etc.
> Lets put this kind into the non LTS releases first (when possible).
>
> A plan could be something like
>
> Camel 3.1.0 in Feb 2020 (no LTS)
> Camel 3.2.0 in April 2020 (no LTS)
> Camel 3.3.0 in June 2020 (LTS)
> Camel 3.4.0 in Aug 2020 (no LTS)
> Camel 3.5.0 in Oct 2020 (LTS)
> Camel 3.6.0 in Dec 2020 (no LTS)
>
> And then we do Camel 3.3.x and 3.6.x patch releases from time to time,
> and for about 12 months, eg 2 LTS's back, eg 3.3.x is EOL when Camel
> 3.9.0 LTS is released (about 1 year later).
>

> Any thoughts?

Re: Tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x releases in 2020

There is a preview now
https://builds.apache.org/job/Camel.website/job/PR-166/Preview/blog/LTS-Release-Schedule/

Thanks for the help Zoran