Translation of Camel manual

koseki nobuyuki
Hi,

I'm planning to translate Camel manual into Japanese, in order to increase  Camel users.
When I translate, do I need any permission of ASF or Camel members?  Or I can translate the manual freely and open to the public?

regards,

Koseki Nobuyuki

AW: Translation of Camel manual

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
> I'm planning to translate Camel manual into Japanese, in order to
> increase Camel users.
> When I translate, do I need any permission of ASF or Camel members?  Or
> I can translate the manual freely and open to the public?

I think the ASL allows that kind of use ;)
The main "problem" is keeping in sync with the original (English) manual.

Maybe you want to use the same "technic" as the original manual: Confluence
with links to excerpts of the sources and generation of the PDF.
With the Confluence as basis you could invite other possible translators for
that work.

For keeping in sync you could subscribe the notification list and filter for
changes from Confluence.

AFAIK Confluence is available for free for open source projects.

Just my few ct
Jan

Re: AW: Translation of Camel manual

koseki nobuyuki
Hi Jan,

Thanks a lot for your advice and introducing a useful tool.
As you suggested,  to keep in sync with the original manual is very challenging.

I will keep in mind your advice, and will start translation in near future with other volunteers.

regards,

Koseki Nobuyuki

Jan Matèrne (jhm) wrote
> I'm planning to translate Camel manual into Japanese, in order to
> increase Camel users.
> When I translate, do I need any permission of ASF or Camel members?  Or
> I can translate the manual freely and open to the public?

I think the ASL allows that kind of use ;)
The main "problem" is keeping in sync with the original (English) manual.

Maybe you want to use the same "technic" as the original manual: Confluence
with links to excerpts of the sources and generation of the PDF.
With the Confluence as basis you could invite other possible translators for
that work.

For keeping in sync you could subscribe the notification list and filter for
changes from Confluence.

AFAIK Confluence is available for free for open source projects.

Just my few ct
Jan

Re: Translation of Camel manual

Is there really a need for translating the entire Camel website to japanese?
The current doc on the website is best used as a reference docs for
looking up details about an EIP, what options a component has, etc.

Just keeping that doc up to date would be a real tough challenge, as
the docs is changed regularly.

If the need is more based on "how do I get started with Camel?" as a
japanese translation. Then I suggest to look at translation some of
the published articles / good blogs etc that explains this better. And
this is also much less work than the entire 900+ pages of the Camel
website.

So when the Japanese developers got some Camel experience under their
belt. Are they not capable of reading english docs on websites such as
the Camel EIP and component docs? eg to learn about which options
does, eg the Camel Netty component has. And how can I use it, by
looking at a few of its examples.

By starting with an article etc you know that this article is not
updated, and the work to do can be estimated up front. eg the article
is 10 A4 pages, then to translate that into japanese will take X
hours.

Then you can try this for starters to see how that goes.

Some good material could be
http://architects.dzone.com/articles/apache-camel-integration
http://www.kai-waehner.de/blog/2012/05/04/apache-camel-tutorial-introduction/

Though those two materials is written by 3rd party and you would need
to get their permission to translate.

You can find more articles here
http://camel.apache.org/articles

There is also this old tutorial of mine, but its still valid, and does
explain Camel in step by step
http://camel.apache.org/tutorial-example-reportincident.html

And if you want to go massive, then there is the Camel in Action book
http://camel.apache.org/books.html

The book is published by Manning, and they sometimes do translations.
But you would need to contact the publisher. I can help with that, as
I am co-author of that said book.

And currently there is other Camel books in the writings. So there
will be more books, as candidates for translations in the  future as
well.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 6:44 AM, koseki nobuyuki

> I'm planning to translate Camel manual into Japanese, in order to increase
> Camel users.
> When I translate, do I need any permission of ASF or Camel members?  Or I
> can translate the manual freely and open to the public?
>
> regards,
>
> Koseki Nobuyuki

FuseSource is now part of Red Hat

Re: Translation of Camel manual

koseki nobuyuki
Hi Claus,

Thank you for your useful advice and interesting url.

Main purpose to translate, is to create a material that is easy to read for Japanese, and let the users understand how to get started with Camel.

So, some url you suggested are good for translation.
(of course, if it is 3rd party, with permission)

Therefore, I intend to translate from a fundamental part of Camel, I do not (can not) translate the entire Camel website.

Once Japanese users become familiar with the usage of Camel, then we can check Camel website and learn deeper, eg various component and their options.

regards,

Koseki Nobuyuki

Claus Ibsen-2 wrote
Hi