how camel works?

jylaj
can somebody describe me how exactly(in basics) doe camel works ?
what does it mean when they say:
       "Apache Camel can be used as a routing and mediation engine for the following projects:
               *  Apache ActiveMQ
               * Apache CXF
               * Apache MINA
                * Apache ServiceMix "
and do the projects that exchange message via camel have to have a client to connect to the camel?
thanks

Re: how camel works?

jstrachan
On 8/16/07, jylaj <[hidden email]> wrote:

> can somebody describe me how exactly(in basics) doe camel works ?

The architecture is described here...
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/architecture.html

> what does it mean when they say:
>        "Apache Camel can be used as a routing and mediation engine for the
> following projects:
>                *  Apache ActiveMQ
>                * Apache CXF
>                * Apache MINA
>                 * Apache ServiceMix "

So for example, with ActiveMQ you can use Camel to do smart routing &
implement the EIP patterns in the JMS client or inside the broker.

e.g. Camel can route messages to and from email, files, XMPP and other
components...
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/components.html

as well as implementing these patterns...
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/enterprise-integration-patterns.html

The same is true for the other projects you mention. e.g. in
ServiceMix's case you can use Camel to do smart routing between JBI
components...

> and do the projects that exchange message via camel have to have a client to
> connect to the camel?

Camel can work with a variety of kinds of messages; so for example
inside ActiveMQ broker, there is no network connection per se, its
talking to POJOs inside the broker. Similarly when using Camel with
ServiceMix, its using the JBI bus (the NMR) to communicate.

With Camel there's not necessarily a 'connection' as Camel can work
with beans or in memory seda queues etc

http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Re: how camel works?

jstrachan
On 8/16/07, James Strachan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/16/07, jylaj <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > can somebody describe me how exactly(in basics) doe camel works ?
>
> The architecture is described here...
> http://activemq.apache.org/camel/architecture.html
>
> > what does it mean when they say:
> >        "Apache Camel can be used as a routing and mediation engine for the
> > following projects:
> >                *  Apache ActiveMQ
> >                * Apache CXF
> >                * Apache MINA
> >                 * Apache ServiceMix "
>
> So for example, with ActiveMQ you can use Camel to do smart routing &
> implement the EIP patterns in the JMS client or inside the broker.
>
> e.g. Camel can route messages to and from email, files, XMPP and other
> components...
> http://activemq.apache.org/camel/components.html
>
> as well as implementing these patterns...
> http://activemq.apache.org/camel/enterprise-integration-patterns.html
>
> The same is true for the other projects you mention. e.g. in
> ServiceMix's case you can use Camel to do smart routing between JBI
> components...
>

> > and do the projects that exchange message via camel have to have a client to
> > connect to the camel?
>
> Camel can work with a variety of kinds of messages; so for example
> inside ActiveMQ broker, there is no network connection per se, its
> talking to POJOs inside the broker. Similarly when using Camel with
> ServiceMix, its using the JBI bus (the NMR) to communicate.
>
> With Camel there's not necessarily a 'connection' as Camel can work
> with beans or in memory seda queues etc

BTW I've added a few FAQ entries to try answer your questions...
http://cwiki.apache.org/CAMEL/how-does-camel-work.html
http://cwiki.apache.org/CAMEL/how-does-camel-work-with-activemq.html
http://cwiki.apache.org/CAMEL/how-does-camel-work-with-servicemix.html
http://macstrac.blogspot.com/