Camel Commons anyone?

jpcook01
Hi,

We have been using camel for about a year now and during that period have built up a collection of generic custom processors, expressions, predicates and components. For example XMLToJSONProcessor, ElementFilterProcessor. Most of them are based around processing XML using DOM4J.

Although still relatively small in number I'm sure some people could benefit from the existing classes and extend/add their own? I wondered if there were any plans to maybe create a camel subproject perhaps similar to apache commons which could encapsulate this custom camel classes?

Thanks
Jon

Re: Camel Commons anyone?

hadrian
Hi Jon,

Great idea!  And thanks for using camel!

I am not sure what the critical mass should be to warrant the creation
of a new subproject.  I am not sure if you are aware of the camel-
extra project at google code (http://code.google.com/p/camel-extra/).
There are some examples there and some stuff that cannot be bundled
under an apache license.  Do you intend to donate your code to
Apache?  Is that an alternative?

Cheers
Hadrian

On Jul 17, 2008, at 9:20 AM, jpcook wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have been using camel for about a year now and during that period
> have
> built up a collection of generic custom processors, expressions,
> predicates
> and components. For example XMLToJSONProcessor,
> ElementFilterProcessor. Most
> of them are based around processing XML using DOM4J.
>
> Although still relatively small in number I'm sure some people could
> benefit
> from the existing classes and extend/add their own? I wondered if
> there were
> any plans to maybe create a camel subproject perhaps similar to apache
> commons which could encapsulate this custom camel classes?
>
> Thanks
> Jon

Re: Camel Commons anyone?

jstrachan
For Apache licensed stuff I'm sure we could have some kinda
camel-commons module inside the Apache Camel project where we can
share common code and so forth. Otherwise we could pop non Apache
stuff at camel-extra?

2008/7/17 jpcook <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> We have been using camel for about a year now and during that period have
> built up a collection of generic custom processors, expressions, predicates
> and components. For example XMLToJSONProcessor, ElementFilterProcessor. Most
> of them are based around processing XML using DOM4J.
>
> Although still relatively small in number I'm sure some people could benefit
> from the existing classes and extend/add their own? I wondered if there were
> any plans to maybe create a camel subproject perhaps similar to apache
> commons which could encapsulate this custom camel classes?
>
> Thanks
> Jon

http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration
http://open.iona.com

Re: Camel Commons anyone?

jpcook01
<quote author="Jonathan.Cook">
I'd quite like to get involved in this and maybe set something up?. Would that be ok and what do you think the best way to go about it would be?

James.Strachan wrote

2008/7/17 jpcook <jonathan.cook@erars.plus.com>:

> Hi,
>
> We have been using camel for about a year now and during that period have
> built up a collection of generic custom processors, expressions, predicates
> and components. For example XMLToJSONProcessor, ElementFilterProcessor. Most
> of them are based around processing XML using DOM4J.
>
> Although still relatively small in number I'm sure some people could benefit
> from the existing classes and extend/add their own? I wondered if there were
> any plans to maybe create a camel subproject perhaps similar to apache
> commons which could encapsulate this custom camel classes?
>
> Thanks
> Jon

http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration
http://open.iona.com

Re: Camel Commons anyone?

jstrachan
2008/7/22 jpcook <[hidden email]>:

> I'd quite like to get involved in this and maybe set something up?.

Sure - we love contributions!
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/contributing.html

> Would
> that be ok and what do you think the best way to go about it would be?

How about you raise one ore more JIRAs and attach some patches? (More
detailed instructions on the link above)
http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration
http://open.iona.com

Re: Camel Commons anyone?

jpcook01
<quote author="Jonathan.Cook">
OK, I'll have a go. I've never contributed before but hopefully it should be relatively straight forward.

Jon
James.Strachan wrote