Camel contributions - which Java version to code to?

Camel contributions - which Java version to code to?

rickaroni
Hiya,

Should I assume from this link that all Camel contribution code has to be Java 6 compatible?http://camel.apache.org/what-are-the-dependencies.html

That is, I'd like to change a component such that Joda DateTime is replaced by the new Java 8 OffsetDateTime.  Is it kosher to do that but provide a JSR 310 backport via a maven dependency like this? http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.fasterxml.jackson.datatype/jackson-datatype-jsr310/2.4.2

Thanks,
Rick

Re: Camel contributions - which Java version to code to?

Claus Ibsen-2
Java 7

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 9:48 PM, rickaroni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> Should I assume from this link that all Camel contribution code has to be
> Java 6 compatible? http://camel.apache.org/what-are-the-dependencies.html
> <http://camel.apache.org/what-are-the-dependencies.html>
>
> That is, I'd like to change a component such that Joda DateTime is replaced
> by the new Java 8 OffsetDateTime.  Is it kosher to do that but provide a JSR
> 310 backport via a maven dependency like this?
> http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.fasterxml.jackson.datatype/jackson-datatype-jsr310/2.4.2
> <http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.fasterxml.jackson.datatype/jackson-datatype-jsr310/2.4.2>
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

hawtio: http://hawt.io/
fabric8: http://fabric8.io/

Re: Camel contributions - which Java version to code to?

Antoine DESSAIGNE
Hi Claus,

From now on, we can use the java7 features in the code ?
(try-with-resource, etc...)

Antoine.

> Java 7
>
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 9:48 PM, rickaroni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hiya,
> >
> > Should I assume from this link that all Camel contribution code has to be
> > Java 6 compatible?
> http://camel.apache.org/what-are-the-dependencies.html
> > <http://camel.apache.org/what-are-the-dependencies.html>
> >
> > That is, I'd like to change a component such that Joda DateTime is
> replaced
> > by the new Java 8 OffsetDateTime.  Is it kosher to do that but provide a
> JSR
> > 310 backport via a maven dependency like this?
> >
> http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.fasterxml.jackson.datatype/jackson-datatype-jsr310/2.4.2
> > <
> http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.fasterxml.jackson.datatype/jackson-datatype-jsr310/2.4.2
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Rick

> Red Hat, Inc.
> Email: [hidden email]
> Twitter: davsclaus
> Blog: http://davsclaus.com
> hawtio: http://hawt.io/
> fabric8: http://fabric8.io/

Re: Camel contributions - which Java version to code to?

dkulp@apache.org

Depends… If it’s a fix that should go back to 2.14 or earlier, it would need to be Java6.

For 2.15 stuff, I *hope* we can say Java7, but so far the poms and such haven’t been updated for Java7.   I’ve been kind of waiting for 2.14 to get out before really delving into that discussion.   :-)

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: Camel contributions - which Java version to code to?

jbonofre
Hi Antoine,

if you plan to merge your change on version previous to 2.14, you have
to use Java6.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

RE: Camel contributions - which Java version to code to?

rickaroni

<<< Claus >>>

àJava 7

<<< Jean-Baptiste >>>

àif you plan to merge your change on version previous to 2.14, you have to use Java6.

<<< Dan >>>

à If it’s a fix that should go back to 2.14 or earlier, it would need to be Java6. For 2.15 stuff, I *hope* we can say Java7, but so far the poms and such haven’t been updated for Java7.   I’ve been kind of waiting for 2.14 to get out before really delving into that discussion

[Sorry if I’m still a little confused (and thanks to all for the replies)...]

To be fully clear on how the cutoff works,  is 2.14.1 the first version that will mandate support for Java 7+ language features since 2.14.0 is being released now (still with Java 6 in the maven poms?)??

Thanks again,

Rick

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]

http://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/Camel-contributions-which-Java-version-to-code-to-tp5756456p5756574.html

To unsubscribe from Camel contributions - which Java version to code to?, click here.
NAML