Camel instead of jbpm?

Matteo Redaelli
1) Can Camel be used as a BPM/workflow engine?
2) Are Human tasks supported in Apache Camel?

Thanks in advance
Matteo

Re: Camel instead of jbpm?

Bruno Borges
 1) Can Camel be used as a BPM/workflow engine?

    Yes you can, but you would have to code a lot of stuff to accomplish
that. Camel is more just about routing messages and to apply EIPs. I guess
for business processes, Camel is not the way to go. Different problems.

2) Are Human tasks supported in Apache Camel?

    I didn't get it. What do you mean about human tasks ? :D

Cheers,
Bruno

Bruno Borges
blog.brunoborges.com.br
+55 21 76727099

"The glory of great men should always be
measured by the means they have used to
acquire it."
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld
Sent from San Mateo, CA, United States

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Matteo Redaelli
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> 1) Can Camel be used as a BPM/workflow engine?
> 2) Are Human tasks supported in Apache Camel?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Matteo

Re: Camel instead of jbpm?

Claus Ibsen-2
On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Bruno Borges <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  1) Can Camel be used as a BPM/workflow engine?
>
>    Yes you can, but you would have to code a lot of stuff to accomplish
> that. Camel is more just about routing messages and to apply EIPs. I guess
> for business processes, Camel is not the way to go. Different problems.

Yeah Camel is not a workflow engine etc. Its a lightweight and very
flexible integration kit.
However integration between Camel and a workflow engine is possible.

I know JBoss guys are working on Drools so I wonder if they want to do
it for JBMP as well.

> 2) Are Human tasks supported in Apache Camel?
>
>    I didn't get it. What do you mean about human tasks ? :D

I guess its something like a human business process that takes like 2
months to complete. And you need humans to change state in that
workflow.
Like a complaint system etc.

> Cheers,
> Bruno
>

> Bruno Borges
> blog.brunoborges.com.br
> +55 21 76727099
>
> "The glory of great men should always be
> measured by the means they have used to
> acquire it."
> - Francois de La Rochefoucauld
> Sent from San Mateo, CA, United States
>
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Matteo Redaelli
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> 1) Can Camel be used as a BPM/workflow engine?
>> 2) Are Human tasks supported in Apache Camel?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Matteo

Apache Camel Committer

Twitter: http://twitter.com/davsclaus

Re: Camel instead of jbpm?

Gary S
We use both. jBPM for human workflow, task console, a choice of modeling
tools. Camel for routes with systems, processes, and components. They both
have Java DSLs with fluent interfaces. We are working out how to integrate
them but the combination covers the 80/20 cases for workflow and esb.

Gary