Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

12345

Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

I just wanted to start the process of getting closer to Camel 3.1 release.
Despite 3.0 was released only a while back, then we have made great
progress on 3.1 that is important to get in the hands of the Camel
users. And for Camel users that migrate to 3.x can then skip 3.0 and
go straight to 3.1.

I am working on some further optimizations in the core for 3.1, and I
hope to find time to share more details in a blog.

However to get the other work (high level) done and ready for 3.1,
then lets discuss them here on the @dev mailing list.

On top of my head we have to do

1)
Finish the separation of camel-spring-boot (there are some tools that
update docs and generate component list) that needs to be completed.

2)
Generate source code configurer for data formats and languages

3)
The component configuration fluent builder (would be nice)

4)
More camel AWS SDK2 components

5)
Camel Main to plugin the new lightweight XML route parser/loader (for
example auto discover on classpath the JAR and use it instead of JAXB)

There are other things of course, but these are the bigger high level
things I could remember.

The usual work with new components, examples, other improvements is of
course also ongoing.

Lets see if we can get this done and release Camel 3.1 in February.

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

Andrea Cosentino-3
+1,

I'm working on AWS SDK2 components.

Il giorno lun 27 gen 2020 alle ore 11:19 Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> Hi
>
> I just wanted to start the process of getting closer to Camel 3.1 release.
> Despite 3.0 was released only a while back, then we have made great
> progress on 3.1 that is important to get in the hands of the Camel
> users. And for Camel users that migrate to 3.x can then skip 3.0 and
> go straight to 3.1.
>
> I am working on some further optimizations in the core for 3.1, and I
> hope to find time to share more details in a blog.
>
> However to get the other work (high level) done and ready for 3.1,
> then lets discuss them here on the @dev mailing list.
>
> On top of my head we have to do
>
> 1)
> Finish the separation of camel-spring-boot (there are some tools that
> update docs and generate component list) that needs to be completed.
>
> 2)
> Generate source code configurer for data formats and languages
>
> 3)
> The component configuration fluent builder (would be nice)
>
> 4)
> More camel AWS SDK2 components
>
> 5)
> Camel Main to plugin the new lightweight XML route parser/loader (for
> example auto discover on classpath the JAR and use it instead of JAXB)
>
> There are other things of course, but these are the bigger high level
> things I could remember.
>
> The usual work with new components, examples, other improvements is of
> course also ongoing.
>
> Lets see if we can get this done and release Camel 3.1 in February.

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

Omar Al-Safi
+1

I am working actively on the (3) the component DSL, hopefully would be done
this week or next week, so I guess should be on track for 3.1.
Also I hope I can push some bug fixes for camel-debezium once done from the
fluent builder

Regards,
Omar

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:22 AM Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1,
>
> I'm working on AWS SDK2 components.
>
> Il giorno lun 27 gen 2020 alle ore 11:19 Claus Ibsen <
> [hidden email]>
> ha scritto:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I just wanted to start the process of getting closer to Camel 3.1
> release.
> > Despite 3.0 was released only a while back, then we have made great
> > progress on 3.1 that is important to get in the hands of the Camel
> > users. And for Camel users that migrate to 3.x can then skip 3.0 and
> > go straight to 3.1.
> >
> > I am working on some further optimizations in the core for 3.1, and I
> > hope to find time to share more details in a blog.
> >
> > However to get the other work (high level) done and ready for 3.1,
> > then lets discuss them here on the @dev mailing list.
> >
> > On top of my head we have to do
> >
> > 1)
> > Finish the separation of camel-spring-boot (there are some tools that
> > update docs and generate component list) that needs to be completed.
> >
> > 2)
> > Generate source code configurer for data formats and languages
> >
> > 3)
> > The component configuration fluent builder (would be nice)
> >
> > 4)
> > More camel AWS SDK2 components
> >
> > 5)
> > Camel Main to plugin the new lightweight XML route parser/loader (for
> > example auto discover on classpath the JAR and use it instead of JAXB)
> >
> > There are other things of course, but these are the bigger high level
> > things I could remember.
> >
> > The usual work with new components, examples, other improvements is of
> > course also ongoing.
> >
> > Lets see if we can get this done and release Camel 3.1 in February.
> >

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

Andrea Cosentino-3
By the way, I believe it is a good chance, to move the examples out of the
main repository.

Il giorno lun 27 gen 2020 alle ore 11:28 Omar Al-Safi <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> +1
>
> I am working actively on the (3) the component DSL, hopefully would be done
> this week or next week, so I guess should be on track for 3.1.
> Also I hope I can push some bug fixes for camel-debezium once done from the
> fluent builder
>
> Regards,
> Omar
>
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:22 AM Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1,
> >
> > I'm working on AWS SDK2 components.
> >
> > Il giorno lun 27 gen 2020 alle ore 11:19 Claus Ibsen <
> > [hidden email]>
> > ha scritto:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I just wanted to start the process of getting closer to Camel 3.1
> > release.
> > > Despite 3.0 was released only a while back, then we have made great
> > > progress on 3.1 that is important to get in the hands of the Camel
> > > users. And for Camel users that migrate to 3.x can then skip 3.0 and
> > > go straight to 3.1.
> > >
> > > I am working on some further optimizations in the core for 3.1, and I
> > > hope to find time to share more details in a blog.
> > >
> > > However to get the other work (high level) done and ready for 3.1,
> > > then lets discuss them here on the @dev mailing list.
> > >
> > > On top of my head we have to do
> > >
> > > 1)
> > > Finish the separation of camel-spring-boot (there are some tools that
> > > update docs and generate component list) that needs to be completed.
> > >
> > > 2)
> > > Generate source code configurer for data formats and languages
> > >
> > > 3)
> > > The component configuration fluent builder (would be nice)
> > >
> > > 4)
> > > More camel AWS SDK2 components
> > >
> > > 5)
> > > Camel Main to plugin the new lightweight XML route parser/loader (for
> > > example auto discover on classpath the JAR and use it instead of JAXB)
> > >
> > > There are other things of course, but these are the bigger high level
> > > things I could remember.
> > >
> > > The usual work with new components, examples, other improvements is of
> > > course also ongoing.
> > >
> > > Lets see if we can get this done and release Camel 3.1 in February.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Claus Ibsen
> > > -----------------
> > > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus
> > > Camel in Action 2: https://www.manning.com/ibsen2

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

jbonofre
+1

I still have my Karaf improvements local branch for Camel 3.x. But not a
blocker for 3.1 release.

Regards
JB

On 27/01/2020 11:18, Claus Ibsen wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just wanted to start the process of getting closer to Camel 3.1 release.
> Despite 3.0 was released only a while back, then we have made great
> progress on 3.1 that is important to get in the hands of the Camel
> users. And for Camel users that migrate to 3.x can then skip 3.0 and
> go straight to 3.1.
>
> I am working on some further optimizations in the core for 3.1, and I
> hope to find time to share more details in a blog.
>
> However to get the other work (high level) done and ready for 3.1,
> then lets discuss them here on the @dev mailing list.
>
> On top of my head we have to do
>
> 1)
> Finish the separation of camel-spring-boot (there are some tools that
> update docs and generate component list) that needs to be completed.
>
> 2)
> Generate source code configurer for data formats and languages
>
> 3)
> The component configuration fluent builder (would be nice)
>
> 4)
> More camel AWS SDK2 components
>
> 5)
> Camel Main to plugin the new lightweight XML route parser/loader (for
> example auto discover on classpath the JAR and use it instead of JAXB)
>
> There are other things of course, but these are the bigger high level
> things I could remember.
>
> The usual work with new components, examples, other improvements is of
> course also ongoing.
>
> Lets see if we can get this done and release Camel 3.1 in February.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

lburgazzoli
Working on some minor improvement for camel-main required for camel-k,
should be ready by this week

---
Luca Burgazzoli

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:29 AM Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> By the way, I believe it is a good chance, to move the examples out of the
> main repository.

Yeah that is a good point. We have talked about this before. Lets see
if we can find the time to do this too.

> Il giorno lun 27 gen 2020 alle ore 11:28 Omar Al-Safi <[hidden email]> ha
> scritto:
>
> > +1
> >
> > I am working actively on the (3) the component DSL, hopefully would be done
> > this week or next week, so I guess should be on track for 3.1.
> > Also I hope I can push some bug fixes for camel-debezium once done from the
> > fluent builder
> >
> > Regards,
> > Omar
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:22 AM Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > +1,
> > >
> > > I'm working on AWS SDK2 components.
> > >
> > > Il giorno lun 27 gen 2020 alle ore 11:19 Claus Ibsen <
> > > [hidden email]>

> > > release.

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

gnodet
Le lun. 27 janv. 2020 à 11:19, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi
>
> I just wanted to start the process of getting closer to Camel 3.1 release.
> Despite 3.0 was released only a while back, then we have made great
> progress on 3.1 that is important to get in the hands of the Camel
> users. And for Camel users that migrate to 3.x can then skip 3.0 and
> go straight to 3.1.
>
> I am working on some further optimizations in the core for 3.1, and I
> hope to find time to share more details in a blog.
>
> However to get the other work (high level) done and ready for 3.1,
> then lets discuss them here on the @dev mailing list.
>
> On top of my head we have to do
>
> 1)
> Finish the separation of camel-spring-boot (there are some tools that
> update docs and generate component list) that needs to be completed.

Right, that's still on my todo list.  If anyone wants to look at it while
I'm working on #2, please be my guest.

> 2)
> Generate source code configurer for data formats and languages

I'm on it, though a bit side tracked.  I'm currently unifying the internal
meta-model representation. I've pushed most of the work, but I still need
to work on the catalog to use a pojos instead of the "rows" based schema.
Along with the dataformats and languages reifications, we may revisit the
core definition's reification (see CAMEL-14445).

> 3)
> The component configuration fluent builder (would be nice)
>
> 4)
> More camel AWS SDK2 components
>
> 5)
> Camel Main to plugin the new lightweight XML route parser/loader (for
> example auto discover on classpath the JAR and use it instead of JAXB)

If anyone wants to look it at, he'd be welcomed.  Basically, we'd need to
make ModelHelper.loadRoutesDefinition / loadRestsDefinition pluggable.
Either using a ad-hoc system or a discoverable service using
META-INF/services

> There are other things of course, but these are the bigger high level
> things I could remember.

One thing I'd like to do too is to continue cleaning the build / internal
tooling by migrating the apt processors into maven plugins and to move all
generated code in the source tree, but this can be delayed if needed.

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

Omar Al-Safi
Hi Guillaume,

If you mean about moving move all generated code this JIRA (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-14448), the question is this
crucial has to be done soon? If not, I would say at least delay on it until
we have the componentdsl stable enough to be merged into master.

Regards,
Omar

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 7:58 AM Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le lun. 27 janv. 2020 à 11:19, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I just wanted to start the process of getting closer to Camel 3.1
> release.
> > Despite 3.0 was released only a while back, then we have made great
> > progress on 3.1 that is important to get in the hands of the Camel
> > users. And for Camel users that migrate to 3.x can then skip 3.0 and
> > go straight to 3.1.
> >
> > I am working on some further optimizations in the core for 3.1, and I
> > hope to find time to share more details in a blog.
> >
> > However to get the other work (high level) done and ready for 3.1,
> > then lets discuss them here on the @dev mailing list.
> >
> > On top of my head we have to do
> >
> > 1)
> > Finish the separation of camel-spring-boot (there are some tools that
> > update docs and generate component list) that needs to be completed.
> >

> Right, that's still on my todo list.  If anyone wants to look at it while
> I'm working on #2, please be my guest.
>

> > 2)
> > Generate source code configurer for data formats and languages
> >

> I'm on it, though a bit side tracked.  I'm currently unifying the internal
> meta-model representation. I've pushed most of the work, but I still need
> to work on the catalog to use a pojos instead of the "rows" based schema.
> Along with the dataformats and languages reifications, we may revisit the
> core definition's reification (see CAMEL-14445).
>

> > 3)
> > The component configuration fluent builder (would be nice)
> >
> > 4)
> > More camel AWS SDK2 components
> >
> > 5)
> > Camel Main to plugin the new lightweight XML route parser/loader (for
> > example auto discover on classpath the JAR and use it instead of JAXB)
> >

> If anyone wants to look it at, he'd be welcomed.  Basically, we'd need to
> make ModelHelper.loadRoutesDefinition / loadRestsDefinition pluggable.
> Either using a ad-hoc system or a discoverable service using
> META-INF/services
>

> > There are other things of course, but these are the bigger high level
> > things I could remember.
> >

> One thing I'd like to do too is to continue cleaning the build / internal
> tooling by migrating the apt processors into maven plugins and to move all
> generated code in the source tree, but this can be delayed if needed.
>

> > The usual work with new components, examples, other improvements is of
> > course also ongoing.
> >
> > Lets see if we can get this done and release Camel 3.1 in February.
> >

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

> ------------------------
> Guillaume Nodet

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

tadayosi
On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 7:29 PM Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> By the way, I believe it is a good chance, to move the examples out of the
> main repository.

+1

Tadayoshi Sato

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 7:58 AM Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le lun. 27 janv. 2020 à 11:19, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I just wanted to start the process of getting closer to Camel 3.1 release.
> > Despite 3.0 was released only a while back, then we have made great
> > progress on 3.1 that is important to get in the hands of the Camel
> > users. And for Camel users that migrate to 3.x can then skip 3.0 and
> > go straight to 3.1.
> >
> > I am working on some further optimizations in the core for 3.1, and I
> > hope to find time to share more details in a blog.
> >
> > However to get the other work (high level) done and ready for 3.1,
> > then lets discuss them here on the @dev mailing list.
> >
> > On top of my head we have to do
> >
> > 1)
> > Finish the separation of camel-spring-boot (there are some tools that
> > update docs and generate component list) that needs to be completed.
> >

> Right, that's still on my todo list.  If anyone wants to look at it while
> I'm working on #2, please be my guest.
>

> > 2)
> > Generate source code configurer for data formats and languages
> >

> I'm on it, though a bit side tracked.  I'm currently unifying the internal
> meta-model representation. I've pushed most of the work, but I still need
> to work on the catalog to use a pojos instead of the "rows" based schema.
> Along with the dataformats and languages reifications, we may revisit the
> core definition's reification (see CAMEL-14445).
>

> > 3)
> > The component configuration fluent builder (would be nice)
> >
> > 4)
> > More camel AWS SDK2 components
> >
> > 5)
> > Camel Main to plugin the new lightweight XML route parser/loader (for
> > example auto discover on classpath the JAR and use it instead of JAXB)
> >

> If anyone wants to look it at, he'd be welcomed.  Basically, we'd need to
> make ModelHelper.loadRoutesDefinition / loadRestsDefinition pluggable.
> Either using a ad-hoc system or a discoverable service using
> META-INF/services

Yeah if nobody beat me to it, the I would likely take a look next
week. All this optimization is coming to an end for a bit.
We now got Camel 3.x speedy again.

> > There are other things of course, but these are the bigger high level
> > things I could remember.
> >

> One thing I'd like to do too is to continue cleaning the build / internal
> tooling by migrating the apt processors into maven plugins and to move all
> generated code in the source tree, but this can be delayed if needed.
>

> > The usual work with new components, examples, other improvements is of
> > course also ongoing.
> >
> > Lets see if we can get this done and release Camel 3.1 in February.
> >

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

> ------------------------
> Guillaume Nodet

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

We also have to look ad fix

JDK 11 compiling error and test errors that may be there

OSGi blueprint issue (Andrea created a JIRA)

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:18 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just wanted to start the process of getting closer to Camel 3.1 release.
> Despite 3.0 was released only a while back, then we have made great
> progress on 3.1 that is important to get in the hands of the Camel
> users. And for Camel users that migrate to 3.x can then skip 3.0 and
> go straight to 3.1.
>
> I am working on some further optimizations in the core for 3.1, and I
> hope to find time to share more details in a blog.
>
> However to get the other work (high level) done and ready for 3.1,
> then lets discuss them here on the @dev mailing list.
>
> On top of my head we have to do
>
> 1)
> Finish the separation of camel-spring-boot (there are some tools that
> update docs and generate component list) that needs to be completed.
>
> 2)
> Generate source code configurer for data formats and languages
>
> 3)
> The component configuration fluent builder (would be nice)
>
> 4)
> More camel AWS SDK2 components
>
> 5)
> Camel Main to plugin the new lightweight XML route parser/loader (for
> example auto discover on classpath the JAR and use it instead of JAXB)
>
> There are other things of course, but these are the bigger high level
> things I could remember.
>
> The usual work with new components, examples, other improvements is of
> course also ongoing.
>
> Lets see if we can get this done and release Camel 3.1 in February.

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

lburgazzoli
hey, what about having a 3.1 RCx in any case even if we have some open
issues ?
given the amount of changes we have in 3.1, having an RC could help
sub-projects like camel-quarkus and camel-k to start adapting

---
Luca Burgazzoli

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:14 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> We also have to look ad fix
>
> JDK 11 compiling error and test errors that may be there
>
> OSGi blueprint issue (Andrea created a JIRA)
>

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:18 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I just wanted to start the process of getting closer to Camel 3.1
> release.
> > Despite 3.0 was released only a while back, then we have made great
> > progress on 3.1 that is important to get in the hands of the Camel
> > users. And for Camel users that migrate to 3.x can then skip 3.0 and
> > go straight to 3.1.
> >
> > I am working on some further optimizations in the core for 3.1, and I
> > hope to find time to share more details in a blog.
> >
> > However to get the other work (high level) done and ready for 3.1,
> > then lets discuss them here on the @dev mailing list.
> >
> > On top of my head we have to do
> >
> > 1)
> > Finish the separation of camel-spring-boot (there are some tools that
> > update docs and generate component list) that needs to be completed.
> >
> > 2)
> > Generate source code configurer for data formats and languages
> >
> > 3)
> > The component configuration fluent builder (would be nice)
> >
> > 4)
> > More camel AWS SDK2 components
> >
> > 5)
> > Camel Main to plugin the new lightweight XML route parser/loader (for
> > example auto discover on classpath the JAR and use it instead of JAXB)
> >
> > There are other things of course, but these are the bigger high level
> > things I could remember.
> >
> > The usual work with new components, examples, other improvements is of
> > course also ongoing.
> >
> > Lets see if we can get this done and release Camel 3.1 in February.
> >

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

Yeah I would like to be able to more quickly cut a RC or Milestone
release of an upcoming release.

But it's the 72h voting delay that annoys me the most. We should check
up on ASF policy if there can be quicker releases for example for
milestone releases or something like that.

And on top of that we have separated spring boot so it would also take
effort into making camel-spring-boot ready for release as RC1 and cut
that too.

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 2:39 PM Luca Burgazzoli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hey, what about having a 3.1 RCx in any case even if we have some open
> issues ?
> given the amount of changes we have in 3.1, having an RC could help
> sub-projects like camel-quarkus and camel-k to start adapting
>
> ---
> Luca Burgazzoli
>

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:14 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > We also have to look ad fix
> >
> > JDK 11 compiling error and test errors that may be there
> >
> > OSGi blueprint issue (Andrea created a JIRA)
> >

> > On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:18 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I just wanted to start the process of getting closer to Camel 3.1
> > release.
> > > Despite 3.0 was released only a while back, then we have made great
> > > progress on 3.1 that is important to get in the hands of the Camel
> > > users. And for Camel users that migrate to 3.x can then skip 3.0 and
> > > go straight to 3.1.
> > >
> > > I am working on some further optimizations in the core for 3.1, and I
> > > hope to find time to share more details in a blog.
> > >
> > > However to get the other work (high level) done and ready for 3.1,
> > > then lets discuss them here on the @dev mailing list.
> > >
> > > On top of my head we have to do
> > >
> > > 1)
> > > Finish the separation of camel-spring-boot (there are some tools that
> > > update docs and generate component list) that needs to be completed.
> > >
> > > 2)
> > > Generate source code configurer for data formats and languages
> > >
> > > 3)
> > > The component configuration fluent builder (would be nice)
> > >
> > > 4)
> > > More camel AWS SDK2 components
> > >
> > > 5)
> > > Camel Main to plugin the new lightweight XML route parser/loader (for
> > > example auto discover on classpath the JAR and use it instead of JAXB)
> > >
> > > There are other things of course, but these are the bigger high level
> > > things I could remember.
> > >
> > > The usual work with new components, examples, other improvements is of
> > > course also ongoing.
> > >
> > > Lets see if we can get this done and release Camel 3.1 in February.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Claus Ibsen
> > > -----------------
> > > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus
> > > Camel in Action 2: https://www.manning.com/ibsen2
> >

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

Andrea Cosentino-3
The only problem I see is timing.

Il giorno dom 2 feb 2020 alle ore 18:33 Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> Hi
>
> Yeah I would like to be able to more quickly cut a RC or Milestone
> release of an upcoming release.
>
> But it's the 72h voting delay that annoys me the most. We should check
> up on ASF policy if there can be quicker releases for example for
> milestone releases or something like that.
>
> And on top of that we have separated spring boot so it would also take
> effort into making camel-spring-boot ready for release as RC1 and cut
> that too.
>

> On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 2:39 PM Luca Burgazzoli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > hey, what about having a 3.1 RCx in any case even if we have some open
> > issues ?
> > given the amount of changes we have in 3.1, having an RC could help
> > sub-projects like camel-quarkus and camel-k to start adapting
> >
> > ---
> > Luca Burgazzoli
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:14 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > We also have to look ad fix
> > >
> > > JDK 11 compiling error and test errors that may be there
> > >
> > > OSGi blueprint issue (Andrea created a JIRA)

> > > release.

> JAXB)

> of

> > > --
> > > Claus Ibsen
> > > -----------------
> > > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus
> > > Camel in Action 2: https://www.manning.com/ibsen2

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

Andrea Cosentino-2
The effort to do a release now that we split between core and spring boot is much more and we need more time.

--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 6:33 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Yeah I would like to be able to more quickly cut a RC or Milestone
> release of an upcoming release.
>
> But it's the 72h voting delay that annoys me the most. We should check
> up on ASF policy if there can be quicker releases for example for
> milestone releases or something like that.
>
> And on top of that we have separated spring boot so it would also take
> effort into making camel-spring-boot ready for release as RC1 and cut
> that too.

Wonder if we should release apache/camel 3.1.0-RC1 independently from the
sub-projects so they have a chance to update and do a final 3.1.0 only when
the subproi

> On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 2:39 PM Luca Burgazzoli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > hey, what about having a 3.1 RCx in any case even if we have some open
> > issues ?
> > given the amount of changes we have in 3.1, having an RC could help
> > sub-projects like camel-quarkus and camel-k to start adapting
> >
> > ---
> > Luca Burgazzoli
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:14 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > We also have to look ad fix
> > >
> > > JDK 11 compiling error and test errors that may be there
> > >
> > > OSGi blueprint issue (Andrea created a JIRA)

> > > release.

> JAXB)

> of

> > > --
> > > Claus Ibsen
> > > -----------------
> > > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus
> > > Camel in Action 2: https://www.manning.com/ibsen2

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

Gregor Zurowski-2
Apache's documentation states that "Votes should generally be
permitted to run for at least 72 hours [...]" in [1] and "Release
votes SHOULD remain open for at least 72 hours." in [2]. It seems like
a general recommendation, but not a MUST. Therefore I believe we could
agree on a shorter time frame for voting for the release candidate.

[1] Apache Voting Process: https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
[2] Apache Release Policy: http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 6:33 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Yeah I would like to be able to more quickly cut a RC or Milestone
> release of an upcoming release.
>
> But it's the 72h voting delay that annoys me the most. We should check
> up on ASF policy if there can be quicker releases for example for
> milestone releases or something like that.
>
> And on top of that we have separated spring boot so it would also take
> effort into making camel-spring-boot ready for release as RC1 and cut
> that too.
>

> On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 2:39 PM Luca Burgazzoli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > hey, what about having a 3.1 RCx in any case even if we have some open
> > issues ?
> > given the amount of changes we have in 3.1, having an RC could help
> > sub-projects like camel-quarkus and camel-k to start adapting
> >
> > ---
> > Luca Burgazzoli
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:14 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > We also have to look ad fix
> > >
> > > JDK 11 compiling error and test errors that may be there
> > >
> > > OSGi blueprint issue (Andrea created a JIRA)

> > > release.

> > > --
> > > Claus Ibsen
> > > -----------------
> > > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus
> > > Camel in Action 2: https://www.manning.com/ibsen2

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

We have had great progress on Camel 3.1 and are missing a few things left

1)
Finish the separation of camel-spring-boot (there are some tools that
update docs and generate component list) that needs to be completed.

I will work on making something similar to what we do with camel-quarkus.

2)
Generate configurer for languages. gnodet did you do this?

3)
Move examples to camel-examples

4)
Avoid property placeholder resolution inside the definitions and
generation of model configurers.

5)
3rd party components. Allow to generate endpoint and component DSL

6)
A bug reported about problems with camel-blueprint

7)
AWS2 components

8)
And then the usual smaller things reported by the community and so on.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:18 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just wanted to start the process of getting closer to Camel 3.1 release.
> Despite 3.0 was released only a while back, then we have made great
> progress on 3.1 that is important to get in the hands of the Camel
> users. And for Camel users that migrate to 3.x can then skip 3.0 and
> go straight to 3.1.
>
> I am working on some further optimizations in the core for 3.1, and I
> hope to find time to share more details in a blog.
>
> However to get the other work (high level) done and ready for 3.1,
> then lets discuss them here on the @dev mailing list.
>
> On top of my head we have to do
>
> 1)
> Finish the separation of camel-spring-boot (there are some tools that
> update docs and generate component list) that needs to be completed.
>
> 2)
> Generate source code configurer for data formats and languages
>
> 3)
> The component configuration fluent builder (would be nice)
>
> 4)
> More camel AWS SDK2 components
>
> 5)
> Camel Main to plugin the new lightweight XML route parser/loader (for
> example auto discover on classpath the JAR and use it instead of JAXB)
>
> There are other things of course, but these are the bigger high level
> things I could remember.
>
> The usual work with new components, examples, other improvements is of
> course also ongoing.
>
> Lets see if we can get this done and release Camel 3.1 in February.

Re: Closing Down on Apache Camel 3.1

Andrea Cosentino-2
In the meantime I'm trying to set up a github action which build camel master and run a build of camel-spring-boot, if there is new stuff, it will open a PR.

It's still work in progress

--
Andrea Cosentino
Apache Camel PMC Chair