Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

12

Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

So today we landed the Spring Boot 2.2 upgrade to master branch, so
that was a great goal when we needed before GA.

There are about 40 items with the 3.0.0 as fixed version in the
roadmap, but as some are somewhat old, then all of those are not all
required.

So lets try to focus on getting the codebase ready for GA sooner, such
as mid/end of november.

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

Andrea Cosentino-3
+1, I don't think we'll need another Release Candidate at this point.

Il giorno lun 28 ott 2019 alle ore 15:40 Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> Hi
>
> So today we landed the Spring Boot 2.2 upgrade to master branch, so
> that was a great goal when we needed before GA.
>
> There are about 40 items with the 3.0.0 as fixed version in the
> roadmap, but as some are somewhat old, then all of those are not all
> required.
>
> So lets try to focus on getting the codebase ready for GA sooner, such
> as mid/end of november.

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

omarsmak
+1. I am having these debezium stuff which their fixed version is 3.0.0.
Will do my best to wrap these by november and then I can help on another
tasks open for fixed version 3.0.0

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 15:42, Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, I don't think we'll need another Release Candidate at this point.
>
> Il giorno lun 28 ott 2019 alle ore 15:40 Claus Ibsen <
> [hidden email]>
> ha scritto:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > So today we landed the Spring Boot 2.2 upgrade to master branch, so
> > that was a great goal when we needed before GA.
> >
> > There are about 40 items with the 3.0.0 as fixed version in the
> > roadmap, but as some are somewhat old, then all of those are not all
> > required.
> >
> > So lets try to focus on getting the codebase ready for GA sooner, such
> > as mid/end of november.
> >

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

lburgazzoli
+1 for cutting a GA mid dovember which should give us some rooms to quickly
release also other projects from the camel echosystem

---
Luca Burgazzoli

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:53 PM Omar Al-Safi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1. I am having these debezium stuff which their fixed version is 3.0.0.
> Will do my best to wrap these by november and then I can help on another
> tasks open for fixed version 3.0.0
>
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 15:42, Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1, I don't think we'll need another Release Candidate at this point.
> >
> > Il giorno lun 28 ott 2019 alle ore 15:40 Claus Ibsen <
> > [hidden email]>
> > ha scritto:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > So today we landed the Spring Boot 2.2 upgrade to master branch, so
> > > that was a great goal when we needed before GA.
> > >
> > > There are about 40 items with the 3.0.0 as fixed version in the
> > > roadmap, but as some are somewhat old, then all of those are not all
> > > required.
> > >
> > > So lets try to focus on getting the codebase ready for GA sooner, such
> > > as mid/end of november.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Claus Ibsen
> > > -----------------
> > > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus
> > > Camel in Action 2: https://www.manning.com/ibsen2

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

jbonofre
+1

I agree it makes sense to move forward on 3.0.0 GA.

Regards
JB

On 28/10/2019 15:39, Claus Ibsen wrote:

> Hi
>
> So today we landed the Spring Boot 2.2 upgrade to master branch, so
> that was a great goal when we needed before GA.
>
> There are about 40 items with the 3.0.0 as fixed version in the
> roadmap, but as some are somewhat old, then all of those are not all
> required.
>
> So lets try to focus on getting the codebase ready for GA sooner, such
> as mid/end of november.

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

Alex Dettinger
+1,

I think we should also have sufficient support for JUnit 5 tests, as I'm
going to rebase the last camel-testcontainers-junit5 successful build on
master.

Alex

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 6:26 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1
>
> I agree it makes sense to move forward on 3.0.0 GA.
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 28/10/2019 15:39, Claus Ibsen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > So today we landed the Spring Boot 2.2 upgrade to master branch, so
> > that was a great goal when we needed before GA.
> >
> > There are about 40 items with the 3.0.0 as fixed version in the
> > roadmap, but as some are somewhat old, then all of those are not all
> > required.
> >
> > So lets try to focus on getting the codebase ready for GA sooner, such
> > as mid/end of november.

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

Its going forward, and the CI servers are starting to be 100% success now.

There is CS issue with camel-debezium

And a user reported a thread-safety/concurrency issue in the user
mailing list about the fast Scanner implementation that we added in
Camel 3.
It would be good to have gnodet take a look too, as it was his code.

There is a new component in the works camel-kudo

And then there are about 30 tickets assigned for 3.0.0, which can be
moved to next release if missed etc.

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:39 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> So today we landed the Spring Boot 2.2 upgrade to master branch, so
> that was a great goal when we needed before GA.
>
> There are about 40 items with the 3.0.0 as fixed version in the
> roadmap, but as some are somewhat old, then all of those are not all
> required.
>
> So lets try to focus on getting the codebase ready for GA sooner, such
> as mid/end of november.

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

There is a few things that would be good to get done

https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/CAMEL/issues/CAMEL-14168
Remove camel-linkedin as its using api v1 which is EOL and no longer
online so the component is useless. v2 API requires a paid
subscription (for some or all? of the functionality).
So at this moment we are not working on a new component. But if/when
we find a solution and the resource to migrate/rebuild the component
for v2 then it can be added later to Camel 3.x.

To change the SB starter to use org.apache.camel.springboot in their Maven GAV.

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 6:31 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Its going forward, and the CI servers are starting to be 100% success now.
>
> There is CS issue with camel-debezium
>
> And a user reported a thread-safety/concurrency issue in the user
> mailing list about the fast Scanner implementation that we added in
> Camel 3.
> It would be good to have gnodet take a look too, as it was his code.
>
> There is a new component in the works camel-kudo
>
> And then there are about 30 tickets assigned for 3.0.0, which can be
> moved to next release if missed etc.
>

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:39 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > So today we landed the Spring Boot 2.2 upgrade to master branch, so
> > that was a great goal when we needed before GA.
> >
> > There are about 40 items with the 3.0.0 as fixed version in the
> > roadmap, but as some are somewhat old, then all of those are not all
> > required.
> >
> > So lets try to focus on getting the codebase ready for GA sooner, such
> > as mid/end of november.
> >

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Claus & Cameleers,
I can work on CAMEL-13643 from tomorrow, I'll try to create a PR in
the next couple of days,

zoran

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 3:39 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> There is a few things that would be good to get done
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/CAMEL/issues/CAMEL-14168
> Remove camel-linkedin as its using api v1 which is EOL and no longer
> online so the component is useless. v2 API requires a paid
> subscription (for some or all? of the functionality).
> So at this moment we are not working on a new component. But if/when
> we find a solution and the resource to migrate/rebuild the component
> for v2 then it can be added later to Camel 3.x.

> To change the SB starter to use org.apache.camel.springboot in their Maven GAV.
>

> On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 6:31 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Its going forward, and the CI servers are starting to be 100% success now.
> >
> > There is CS issue with camel-debezium
> >
> > And a user reported a thread-safety/concurrency issue in the user
> > mailing list about the fast Scanner implementation that we added in
> > Camel 3.
> > It would be good to have gnodet take a look too, as it was his code.
> >
> > There is a new component in the works camel-kudo
> >
> > And then there are about 30 tickets assigned for 3.0.0, which can be
> > moved to next release if missed etc.
> >

> > On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:39 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > So today we landed the Spring Boot 2.2 upgrade to master branch, so
> > > that was a great goal when we needed before GA.
> > >
> > > There are about 40 items with the 3.0.0 as fixed version in the
> > > roadmap, but as some are somewhat old, then all of those are not all
> > > required.
> > >
> > > So lets try to focus on getting the codebase ready for GA sooner, such
> > > as mid/end of november.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Claus Ibsen
> > > -----------------
> > > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus
> > > Camel in Action 2: https://www.manning.com/ibsen2
> >

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Zoran Regvart

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

Camel-Linkedin has been removed.

We only need the other issue :-)

Il giorno lun 11 nov 2019 alle ore 15:39 Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> Hi
>
> There is a few things that would be good to get done
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/CAMEL/issues/CAMEL-14168
> Remove camel-linkedin as its using api v1 which is EOL and no longer
> online so the component is useless. v2 API requires a paid
> subscription (for some or all? of the functionality).
> So at this moment we are not working on a new component. But if/when
> we find a solution and the resource to migrate/rebuild the component
> for v2 then it can be added later to Camel 3.x.

> To change the SB starter to use org.apache.camel.springboot in their Maven
> GAV.
>

> On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 6:31 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Its going forward, and the CI servers are starting to be 100% success
> now.
> >
> > There is CS issue with camel-debezium
> >
> > And a user reported a thread-safety/concurrency issue in the user
> > mailing list about the fast Scanner implementation that we added in
> > Camel 3.
> > It would be good to have gnodet take a look too, as it was his code.
> >
> > There is a new component in the works camel-kudo
> >
> > And then there are about 30 tickets assigned for 3.0.0, which can be
> > moved to next release if missed etc.
> >

> > On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:39 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > So today we landed the Spring Boot 2.2 upgrade to master branch, so
> > > that was a great goal when we needed before GA.
> > >
> > > There are about 40 items with the 3.0.0 as fixed version in the
> > > roadmap, but as some are somewhat old, then all of those are not all
> > > required.
> > >
> > > So lets try to focus on getting the codebase ready for GA sooner, such
> > > as mid/end of november.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Claus Ibsen
> > > -----------------
> > > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus
> > > Camel in Action 2: https://www.manning.com/ibsen2
> >

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Cameleers,
I've created a PR[1] for CAMEL-13643 that renames the groupId of
Spring Boot starters to `org.apache.camel.springboot`.

Please review, there's a fair chance that I've missed something.

zoran

[1] https://github.com/apache/camel/pull/3334

Zoran Regvart

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

I have created a ticket about making hystrix EIP neutral as
circuitBreaker() so we can plugin different implementations

This would be great to get done for 3.0 GA. I will start on this tomorrow.

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:39 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> So today we landed the Spring Boot 2.2 upgrade to master branch, so
> that was a great goal when we needed before GA.
>
> There are about 40 items with the 3.0.0 as fixed version in the
> roadmap, but as some are somewhat old, then all of those are not all
> required.
>
> So lets try to focus on getting the codebase ready for GA sooner, such
> as mid/end of november.

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

Pascal Schumacher
Having another circuitBreaker implementation available in Camel would be
great, as Hystrix is no longer in active development (see:
https://github.com/Netflix/Hystrix#hystrix-status). Maybe Hystrix should
even be deprecated.

Am 14.11.2019 um 17:08 schrieb Claus Ibsen:

> Hi
>
> I have created a ticket about making hystrix EIP neutral as
> circuitBreaker() so we can plugin different implementations
>
> This would be great to get done for 3.0 GA. I will start on this tomorrow.
>
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:39 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> So today we landed the Spring Boot 2.2 upgrade to master branch, so
>> that was a great goal when we needed before GA.
>>
>> There are about 40 items with the 3.0.0 as fixed version in the
>> roadmap, but as some are somewhat old, then all of those are not all
>> required.
>>
>> So lets try to focus on getting the codebase ready for GA sooner, such
>> as mid/end of november.
>>

>> --
>> Claus Ibsen
>> -----------------
>> http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Cameleers,
I've merged CAMEL-13643, the rename of groupId for Spring Boot
starters to `org.apache.camel.springboot` to `master`.

The CI passed all but few tests[1] that I do not believe to be related
to this change.

One effort that can be done, if someone deems it necessary, is to put
in place relocation POMs[2]. I think this is not necessary and it
would complicate and lengthen the release. If you think it's a must I
can also work on that.

zoran

[1] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20Camel/job/Camel/job/pr%252Fspring-boot-groupid/3/
[2] https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-relocation.html

Zoran Regvart

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

Okay I added a new Circuit Breaker implementation with resilience4j as
Hystrix is EOL so this allows users to migrate to this implementation
instead.

There are a few other tickets I would like to get done, but the
projects starts to look great.

Maybe we should set a date as end of this weekday to cut the RC for the GA?
For example if Gregor can help cut the release by friday or in the weekend?

Zoran, when we have 3.0 GA, can we make the website, have 3.0 as a
choice for the documentation.
So when we continue work on 3.1.x then its "latest".

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 11:28 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Zoran, when we have 3.0 GA, can we make the website, have 3.0 as a
> choice for the documentation.
> So when we continue work on 3.1.x then its "latest".

I guess we'll have a `camel-3.0.x branch`, so we could use that to
build the component documentation. We don't have the user manual
versioned -- we only have the `latest` user manual.

This should change:
https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/b326c9edf2509738a9951e39e2c20bb7f7b953a1/docs/components/antora.yml#L20
https://github.com/apache/camel-website/blob/9b017cce8981c0b6313aa81bed104b2bd30a0143/site.yml#L12

I can do that right after we release and create the branch.

zoran
Zoran Regvart

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

Claus Ibsen-2
On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 11:38 AM Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Claus & Cameleers,
>
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 11:28 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Zoran, when we have 3.0 GA, can we make the website, have 3.0 as a
> > choice for the documentation.
> > So when we continue work on 3.1.x then its "latest".
>
> I guess we'll have a `camel-3.0.x branch`, so we could use that to
> build the component documentation. We don't have the user manual
> versioned -- we only have the `latest` user manual.
>
> This should change:
> https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/b326c9edf2509738a9951e39e2c20bb7f7b953a1/docs/components/antora.yml#L20
> https://github.com/apache/camel-website/blob/9b017cce8981c0b6313aa81bed104b2bd30a0143/site.yml#L12
>
> I can do that right after we release and create the branch.

Ah okay, yeah we can have a camel-3.0.x branch, and then camel-3.1.x
branch and so on.
And then after a while we can maybe drop N old versions back?

> zoran
> --
> Zoran Regvart

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

Gregor Zurowski-2

Yes, I am available to cut the RC for GA this weekend. We can briefly
sync up on Friday whether to take the release off of the head of the
master branch or a particular commit.

Thanks,
Gregor

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 11:28 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Okay I added a new Circuit Breaker implementation with resilience4j as
> Hystrix is EOL so this allows users to migrate to this implementation
> instead.
>
> There are a few other tickets I would like to get done, but the
> projects starts to look great.
>
> Maybe we should set a date as end of this weekday to cut the RC for the GA?
> For example if Gregor can help cut the release by friday or in the weekend?
>
> Zoran, when we have 3.0 GA, can we make the website, have 3.0 as a
> choice for the documentation.
> So when we continue work on 3.1.x then its "latest".
>

> On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 10:12 PM Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Cameleers,
> > I've merged CAMEL-13643, the rename of groupId for Spring Boot
> > starters to `org.apache.camel.springboot` to `master`.
> >
> > The CI passed all but few tests[1] that I do not believe to be related
> > to this change.
> >
> > One effort that can be done, if someone deems it necessary, is to put
> > in place relocation POMs[2]. I think this is not necessary and it
> > would complicate and lengthen the release. If you think it's a must I
> > can also work on that.
> >
> > zoran
> >
> > [1] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20Camel/job/Camel/job/pr%252Fspring-boot-groupid/3/
> > [2] https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-relocation.html
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 4:19 PM Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Cameleers,
> > > I've created a PR[1] for CAMEL-13643 that renames the groupId of
> > > Spring Boot starters to `org.apache.camel.springboot`.
> > >
> > > Please review, there's a fair chance that I've missed something.
> > >
> > > zoran
> > >
> > > [1] https://github.com/apache/camel/pull/3334

> > > --
> > > Zoran Regvart
> >

> > --
> > Zoran Regvart

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

Claus Ibsen-2
On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 5:19 PM Gregor Zurowski

> Yes, I am available to cut the RC for GA this weekend. We can briefly
> sync up on Friday whether to take the release off of the head of the
> master branch or a particular commit.

Sounds great Gregor.

We are working on the last bits. I will do some work tonight and then
check up tomorrow with things like CS and RAT check,
so the branch should be in good shape for you.

Then fingers crossed you get time to cut the GA this weekend.

> Thanks,
> Gregor
>
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 11:28 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Okay I added a new Circuit Breaker implementation with resilience4j as
> > Hystrix is EOL so this allows users to migrate to this implementation
> > instead.
> >
> > There are a few other tickets I would like to get done, but the
> > projects starts to look great.
> >
> > Maybe we should set a date as end of this weekday to cut the RC for the GA?
> > For example if Gregor can help cut the release by friday or in the weekend?
> >
> > Zoran, when we have 3.0 GA, can we make the website, have 3.0 as a
> > choice for the documentation.
> > So when we continue work on 3.1.x then its "latest".
> >

> > On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 10:12 PM Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Cameleers,
> > > I've merged CAMEL-13643, the rename of groupId for Spring Boot
> > > starters to `org.apache.camel.springboot` to `master`.
> > >
> > > The CI passed all but few tests[1] that I do not believe to be related
> > > to this change.
> > >
> > > One effort that can be done, if someone deems it necessary, is to put
> > > in place relocation POMs[2]. I think this is not necessary and it
> > > would complicate and lengthen the release. If you think it's a must I
> > > can also work on that.
> > >
> > > zoran
> > >
> > > [1] https://builds.apache.org/view/C/view/Apache%20Camel/job/Camel/job/pr%252Fspring-boot-groupid/3/
> > > [2] https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-relocation.html

> > > --
> > > Zoran Regvart
> >

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: Closing down to Apache Camel 3.0 GA

Okay I got all the stuff pushed to master, and also cleaned up in JIRA
and moved tickets to 3.10, or 3.x etc.

So lets spend tomorrow do final cleanup and touches so the code base
is ready for GA.