[DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

[DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Cameleers,
so it's been a while since we discussed the state of the new website,
so let me start by enumerating what we have done so far and then what
I think needs to be done for the website to go live.

So what has been done:

A lot. A lot of folk over almost two years helped with the website
effort and their help needs to be acknowledged. I'm sorry not to
mention everyone here as I would certainly forget someone. I do wish
to thank you all for your contributions.

In points:
 - content from the Confluence wiki has been (high 90% of it) cleaned
up and migrated to asciidoc format and is now maintained in the git
repository
 - tools that maintain the documentation were developed (updating from
javadoc, moving/copying documents and maintaining indexes)
 - initial website design was contributed and polished over time
 - tools to build and develop the website were implemented and
integrated with the CI
 - a lot of small paper-cut issues were resolved

You can find the majority of these issues as subtasks of CAMEL-11492[1].

What I think needs to be done:
 - gather more feedback on the staging website
(https://camel.apache.org/staging/)
 - find/resolve any search engine issues (such as CAMEL-13800[2])

What I think would be good to do:
 - more search engine optimization (like the microdata effort CAMEL-11494[3])
 - I'd like to polish the documentation a bit CAMEL-13780[3], if it
turns out not too much work split up the documentation into even
further modules (CAMEL-13812[4])
 - add search (CAMEL-11503)
 - iron out any design/responsive layout issues

I think we can work on the 'needs to be done' bits in the following
week and rump up the effort to replace the old website with the new
one currently present only on the staging.

And depending on the feedback, that is if there are no large blocking
issues found, I think we can go live with the new website somewhere in
the middle of August.

So, with that I would like to call to action, I'd like to have a list
of actionable issues we need to resolve for the go live of the new
website.

If you can take a moment and have a look at the staging site
(https://camel.apache.org/staging/) and either by replying on the
thread or by creating a subtask on CAMEL-11492[1] with any issues that
you think need to be addressed before we go live.

And, if you can contribute to this effort, by modifying the design,
improving the build tools, correcting the documentation please feel
free to do so.

zoran

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11492
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13800
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11494
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13780
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13812
[6] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11503

Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

Andrea Cosentino-3
+1 to go live as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone involved.

Il giorno gio 1 ago 2019 alle ore 11:19 Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> [...]
> (https://camel.apache.org/staging/) and either by replying on the
> thread or by creating a subtask on CAMEL-11492[1] with any issues that
> you think need to be addressed before we go live.
>
> And, if you can contribute to this effort, by modifying the design,
> improving the build tools, correcting the documentation please feel
> free to do so.
>
> zoran
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11492
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13800
> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11494
> [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13780
> [5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13812
> [6] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11503

> Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

Francois Papon

Agree, it would be nice if we could publish the new website this month :)

regards,

François
[hidden email]

Le 01/08/2019 à 11:18, Zoran Regvart a écrit :

> [...]
> website.
>
> If you can take a moment and have a look at the staging site
> (https://camel.apache.org/staging/) and either by replying on the
> thread or by creating a subtask on CAMEL-11492[1] with any issues that
> you think need to be addressed before we go live.
>
> And, if you can contribute to this effort, by modifying the design,
> improving the build tools, correcting the documentation please feel
> free to do so.
>
> zoran
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11492
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13800
> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11494
> [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13780
> [5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13812
> [6] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11503

Re: [DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

Yeah its great to see the new website is shaping up.

I think we should work on the front page, and update the content and
how we present to the world what Apache Camel is.
There are some outdated content there, and its also a bit unclear what
Apache Camel is ;)

And we should work on a new getting started guide. Its very old and
talks about downloading Camel. I think 99% would be using maven /
gradle / or something like start spring boot etc.

Also I noticed in the components page where the table shows the
options, then the option name are very narrow and they get word
wrapped. I think that column should be wider.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 11:19 AM Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> (https://camel.apache.org/staging/) and either by replying on the
> thread or by creating a subtask on CAMEL-11492[1] with any issues that
> you think need to be addressed before we go live.
>
> And, if you can contribute to this effort, by modifying the design,
> improving the build tools, correcting the documentation please feel
> free to do so.
>
> zoran
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11492
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13800
> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11494
> [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13780
> [5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13812
> [6] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11503
>
> --
> Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

today I merged the redesign of the front page. I will work on adding a
filter box to the compnents navigation menu (CAMEL-13622[1]),
Nayananga has a PR in the works for adding site search. I would still
like to address the design of the news section (CAMEL-13818[2]).

That would resolve all but a few issues on the new website
(CAMEL-11492[3]), and with that I would like to *launch the website
early next week*.

If you have few moments have a look at the staging site[4] and log any
issues as sub-tasks of CAMEL-11492[3] that you find blocking for the
website launch. Also please have a look at any issue you might be able
to help with.

I'll be on vacation from tomorrow till Monday, so I might not as
responsive to new issues.

zoran

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13622
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13818
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11492
[4] https://camel.apache.org/staging/

Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

tadayosi
The new website looks great. Great job to Zoran and everyone involved in
the website renewal!

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 2:32 AM Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > thread or by creating a subtask on CAMEL-11492[1] with any issues that
> > you think need to be addressed before we go live.
> >
> > And, if you can contribute to this effort, by modifying the design,
> > improving the build tools, correcting the documentation please feel
> > free to do so.
> >
> > zoran
> >
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11492
> > [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13800
> > [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11494
> > [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13780
> > [5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13812
> > [6] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11503
> >
> > --
> > Zoran Regvart

> Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

astefanutti
Hi Zoran,

I haven't found any blocking issue. There are only few broken links and images and small layout discrepancies, that can be fixed later.

I’m particularly impressed by this piece of work. The new design is both very functional and looks gorgeous.

Congratulations to everyone involved!

Antonin

> [...]
>> thread or by creating a subtask on CAMEL-11492[1] with any issues that
>> you think need to be addressed before we go live.
>>
>> And, if you can contribute to this effort, by modifying the design,
>> improving the build tools, correcting the documentation please feel
>> free to do so.
>>
>> zoran
>>
>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11492
>> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13800
>> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11494
>> [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13780
>> [5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13812
>> [6] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11503
>>
>> --
>> Zoran Regvart

> Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

Hi Antonin,
can you please create JIRA issues for anything you find, often looking
at the same thing one (= me) becomes blind to these...

zoran

Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Cameleers,
some time has passed and I guess we haven't found any blocking issues
preventing the website launch.

With that I'm going to contact INFRA and ask for two things:
 - publishing from the `asf-git` branch of the `camel-website` to the
root of the website (instead of the `/staging`), in effect launching
the new website
 - disabling/removing the build bot build[1] for the old Camel website

Thanks :)

zoran

[1] https://ci.apache.org/builders/camel-site-production

Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

Andrea Cosentino-2
+1. Thanks to everyone involved!

Zoran, really great work!

--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------

Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Cameleers,
I've removed the buildbot configuration in revision 1049048 at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot/ -- I don't
know how to point to a diff view, viewvc doesn't seem to be
enabled/working for it.

I've filed INFRA-18906[1] and created a pull request for the Puppet
configuration. When that gets merged the new website will be live.

zoran

Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

Francois Papon
Thanks Zoran!

regards,

François
[hidden email]

Le 20/08/2019 à 10:35, Zoran Regvart a écrit :

> [...]
>> (https://camel.apache.org/staging/) and either by replying on the
>> thread or by creating a subtask on CAMEL-11492[1] with any issues that
>> you think need to be addressed before we go live.
>>
>> And, if you can contribute to this effort, by modifying the design,
>> improving the build tools, correcting the documentation please feel
>> free to do so.
>>
>> zoran
>>
>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11492
>> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13800
>> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11494
>> [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13780
>> [5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13812
>> [6] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11503
>>
>> --
>> Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

I’ve just created the above issues. Some are probably more related to the content of the docs rather than the website redesign, though they still contribute to the overall quality of the website:

Antonin

> On 20 Aug 2019, at 10:29, Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Antonin,
> can you please create JIRA issues for anything you find, often looking
> at the same thing one (= me) becomes blind to these...
>
> zoran
>
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 10:04 AM Antonin Stefanutti
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Zoran,
>>
>> I haven't found any blocking issue. There are only few broken links and images and small layout discrepancies, that can be fixed later.
>>
>> I’m particularly impressed by this piece of work. The new design is both very functional and looks gorgeous.
>>
>> Congratulations to everyone involved!
>>
>> Antonin
>>
>>> On 15 Aug 2019, at 19:32, Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Cameleers,
>>> today I merged the redesign of the front page. I will work on adding a
>>> filter box to the compnents navigation menu (CAMEL-13622[1]),
>>> Nayananga has a PR in the works for adding site search. I would still
>>> like to address the design of the news section (CAMEL-13818[2]).
>>>
>>> That would resolve all but a few issues on the new website
>>> (CAMEL-11492[3]), and with that I would like to *launch the website
>>> early next week*.
>>>
>>> If you have few moments have a look at the staging site[4] and log any
>>> issues as sub-tasks of CAMEL-11492[3] that you find blocking for the
>>> website launch. Also please have a look at any issue you might be able
>>> to help with.
>>>
>>> I'll be on vacation from tomorrow till Monday, so I might not as
>>> responsive to new issues.
>>>
>>> zoran
>>>
>>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13622
>>> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13818
>>> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11492
>>> [4] https://camel.apache.org/staging/

>>> --
>>> Zoran Regvart

> Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

+1

Yay this is fantastic.

> [...]

> > thread or by creating a subtask on CAMEL-11492[1] with any issues that
> > you think need to be addressed before we go live.
> >
> > And, if you can contribute to this effort, by modifying the design,
> > improving the build tools, correcting the documentation please feel
> > free to do so.
> >
> > zoran
> >
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11492
> > [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13800
> > [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11494
> > [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13780
> > [5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13812
> > [6] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-11503
> >
> > --
> > Zoran Regvart
>

> --
> Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISCUSS] New Camel website, rump up to go live

Dmitry Volodin
Thanks, Zoran!

Beautiful site view!!! Good job of all team working on it.

--
Best regards,
Dmitry Volodin