[DISUESS] Kotlin DSL in Camel, thoughts?

[DISUESS] Kotlin DSL in Camel, thoughts?

Omar Al-Safi
Hello folks,

In FOSDEM, we were asked if we have a Kotlin DSL, although the Java DSL
could be used in Kotlin out of the box, however a DSL written in Kotlin's
way, could be an additional choice for our users. However, I must say, I am
not really sure about its feasibility to have it, in terms of
maintenance let's say.

What do you guys think?

Regards,
Omar

Re: [DISUESS] Kotlin DSL in Camel, thoughts?

Guillaume Nodet-2
In order to have an easy DSL maintained, I think we should aim to generate
it from the meta model.
We now have a nice java pojo model for it, so it should be easier to use
any kind of method to generate 90% of the DSL.
This would alleviate most of the concerns about maintainability imho.

Guillaume

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [DISUESS] Kotlin DSL in Camel, thoughts?

Omar Al-Safi
Wow awesome, I didn't relalize that have metadata models (I only aware of
the components metadata), thanks Guillaume for the info!
I'd prefer the way of generating it as well.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 3:02 PM Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In order to have an easy DSL maintained, I think we should aim to generate
> it from the meta model.
> We now have a nice java pojo model for it, so it should be easier to use
> any kind of method to generate 90% of the DSL.
> This would alleviate most of the concerns about maintainability imho.
>
> Guillaume
>

> Le mer. 5 févr. 2020 à 14:56, Omar Al-Safi <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > Hello folks,
> >
> > In FOSDEM, we were asked if we have a Kotlin DSL, although the Java DSL
> > could be used in Kotlin out of the box, however a DSL written in Kotlin's
> > way, could be an additional choice for our users. However, I must say, I
> am
> > not really sure about its feasibility to have it, in terms of
> > maintenance let's say.
> >
> > What do you guys think?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Omar
> >

> --
> ------------------------
> Guillaume Nodet

Re: [DISUESS] Kotlin DSL in Camel, thoughts?

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Omar,
I think it's a great idea, as Guillaume mentioned we need to make sure
that it's also easy to maintain. Some older Cameleers might remember
the Scala DSL that was a bit of a pain to maintain (see also Ceylon
and all languages we dropped in v3).

zoran

Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISUESS] Kotlin DSL in Camel, thoughts?

lburgazzoli
Some initial work for a kotlin dsl is being done at camel-k and I had not
so much time to really improve it so any help would be appreciated.

---
Luca Burgazzoli

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 3:34 PM Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Omar,
> I think it's a great idea, as Guillaume mentioned we need to make sure
> that it's also easy to maintain. Some older Cameleers might remember
> the Scala DSL that was a bit of a pain to maintain (see also Ceylon
> and all languages we dropped in v3).
>
> zoran
>
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:56 PM Omar Al-Safi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello folks,
> >
> > In FOSDEM, we were asked if we have a Kotlin DSL, although the Java DSL
> > could be used in Kotlin out of the box, however a DSL written in Kotlin's
> > way, could be an additional choice for our users. However, I must say, I
> am
> > not really sure about its feasibility to have it, in terms of
> > maintenance let's say.
> >
> > What do you guys think?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Omar

> Zoran Regvart

Re: [DISUESS] Kotlin DSL in Camel, thoughts?

Omar Al-Safi
Hi Luca,

I have seen Kotlin DSL in Camel K, however since I am not familiar with
Camel K, can we get the DSL to work for both, Camel and Camel K?

Regards