Dependency mess with camel-restlet

Knut-Håvard Aksnes
I am using camel-restlet (2.12.3) in a war project and just discovered that the dependencies doesn't look good. There are at least two problems.

1) With a webapp we need to add a dependency to org.restlet.ext.spring as documented in camel-restlet. The problem being that the documentation specifies the group id of org.restlet.jee which depends on org.restlet.jee:org.restlet which is not the same as org.restlet.jse:org.restlet which is a dependency for camel-restlet

2) According to the restlet documentation org.restlet.jee is the correct edition to use for war's so an exclusion of org.restlet.jse:org.restlet should be put on camel-restlet + an extra dependency to org.restlet.jee:org.restlet

3) There are still mess in the spring dependencies: org.restlet.ext.spring depend on spring-asm which has been merged into spring-core in recent spring versions so a dependency exlusion is needed for org.springframework:spring-asm. In addition org.springframework:spring-expression should most likely be pinned to a version compatible with the one used for the camel build (3.2.5.RELEASE)

I am still not sure if this will work as I don't in any way consider myself an expert on restlets and haven't had time to test this at all yet.Maybe all of this can be wrapped as a separate camel component (Or just a maven bom)

Re: Dependency mess with camel-restlet

As camel can be deployed into lots container and it can run as stand alone server, so we cannot change the dependency as you want.
With help of the dependency exclusion, you can resolve the issue in your pom.

--
Willem Jiang

Red Hat, Inc.
Web: http://www.redhat.com
Blog: http://willemjiang.blogspot.com (English)
http://jnn.iteye.com (Chinese)
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

On March 13, 2014 at 2:38:38 AM, Knut-Håvard Aksnes ([hidden email]) wrote:

> I am using camel-restlet (2.12.3) in a war project and just discovered that
> the dependencies doesn't look good. There are at least two problems.
>
> 1) With a webapp we need to add a dependency to org.restlet.ext.spring as
> documented in camel-restlet. The problem being that the documentation
> specifies the group id of org.restlet.jee which depends on
> org.restlet.jee:org.restlet which is not the same as
> org.restlet.jse:org.restlet which is a dependency for camel-restlet
>
> 2) According to the restlet documentation org.restlet.jee is the correct
> edition to use for war's so an exclusion of org.restlet.jse:org.restlet
> should be put on camel-restlet + an extra dependency to
> org.restlet.jee:org.restlet
>
> 3) There are still mess in the spring dependencies: org.restlet.ext.spring
> depend on spring-asm which has been merged into spring-core in recent spring
> versions so a dependency exlusion is needed for
> org.springframework:spring-asm. In addition
> org.springframework:spring-expression should most likely be pinned to a
> version compatible with the one used for the camel build (3.2.5.RELEASE)
>
> I am still not sure if this will work as I don't in any way consider myself
> an expert on restlets and haven't had time to test this at all yet.Maybe all
> of this can be wrapped as a separate camel component (Or just a maven bom)

Re: Dependency mess with camel-restlet

Knut-Håvard Aksnes
I have no problems  tweaking the dependencies myself, the main problems are:
1. Lack of documentation. The camel documentation doesn't cover this.
2. Lack of robustness. The entire dependency structure around the restless component seems to be somewhat fragile.

Re: Dependency mess with camel-restlet

Ad 2)
I suggest to take your findings to the restlet community so they can
clean their mess with the spring deps.
Also maybe suggest them to make restlet work with servlet WITHOUT spring.

Ad 1)
Also at Apache we love contributions. So you are very welcome to help
with the documentation etc.
So these pages

http://camel.apache.org/contributing
http://camel.apache.org/how-do-i-edit-the-website.html

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Knut-Håvard Aksnes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have no problems  tweaking the dependencies myself, the main problems are:
> 1. Lack of documentation. The camel documentation doesn't cover this.
> 2. Lack of robustness. The entire dependency structure around the restless
> component seems to be somewhat fragile.

Re: Dependency mess with camel-restlet

Knut-Håvard Aksnes
Ad documentation. I will try to write something. But need to do quite a lot of testing myself first, to be confident that the setup I describe will work.
Ad restlet structure, it seems to be a mess. Personally I prefer CXF, but some of my colleagues like restlets. Our system starts to get fairly large now with over 50 maven subproject.