[ISCUSS] Camel 2.x - End of support Lifecycle

[ISCUSS] Camel 2.x - End of support Lifecycle

Now that Camel 3 is out, its the main branch for new features etc.

Camel 2.x is closing down, and Camel 2.25 is the last planned new
minor release for the 2.x line. All net new development happens on
Camel 3.x.

I think we should work on getting a blog post on the Camel website
with the details of this, and the lifecycle of the 2.x.

For example we can say something like:

Camel 2.25 is the last new minor release of Camel 2.x. All net new
development now happens on Camel 3.x.

For Camel 2.x, then only bug fixes and security vulnerabilities will
be fixed on the 2.25.x branch, and released from time to time in 2020.
At the end of the year 2020 Camel 2.x will be retired and EOL.

Re: [ISCUSS] Camel 2.x - End of support Lifecycle

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Cameleers,
I think that post should include Java version, or other platform
version support like Karaf/Spring Boot, to explain a bit of what's
installed if you stick on 2.x vs go to 3.x release.

(2c)

zoran

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 11:51 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Now that Camel 3 is out, its the main branch for new features etc.
>
> Camel 2.x is closing down, and Camel 2.25 is the last planned new
> minor release for the 2.x line. All net new development happens on
> Camel 3.x.
>
> I think we should work on getting a blog post on the Camel website
> with the details of this, and the lifecycle of the 2.x.
>
> For example we can say something like:
>
> Camel 2.25 is the last new minor release of Camel 2.x. All net new
> development now happens on Camel 3.x.
>
> For Camel 2.x, then only bug fixes and security vulnerabilities will
> be fixed on the 2.25.x branch, and released from time to time in 2020.
> At the end of the year 2020 Camel 2.x will be retired and EOL.

Zoran Regvart

Re: [ISCUSS] Camel 2.x - End of support Lifecycle

Claus Ibsen-2
On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 2:56 PM Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Cameleers,
> I think that post should include Java version, or other platform
> version support like Karaf/Spring Boot, to explain a bit of what's
> installed if you stick on 2.x vs go to 3.x release.

Yeah that can be detailed, that are limited to Camel 2.25 as the last
2.x release
Which means Java 8, Spring Boot 2.1, and for Karaf its 4.2.

> (2c)
>
> zoran
>
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 11:51 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Now that Camel 3 is out, its the main branch for new features etc.
> >
> > Camel 2.x is closing down, and Camel 2.25 is the last planned new
> > minor release for the 2.x line. All net new development happens on
> > Camel 3.x.
> >
> > I think we should work on getting a blog post on the Camel website
> > with the details of this, and the lifecycle of the 2.x.
> >
> > For example we can say something like:
> >
> > Camel 2.25 is the last new minor release of Camel 2.x. All net new
> > development now happens on Camel 3.x.
> >
> > For Camel 2.x, then only bug fixes and security vulnerabilities will
> > be fixed on the 2.25.x branch, and released from time to time in 2020.
> > At the end of the year 2020 Camel 2.x will be retired and EOL.
> >

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

> Zoran Regvart

Re: [ISCUSS] Camel 2.x - End of support Lifecycle

gnodet
Le mar. 10 déc. 2019 à 11:51, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi
>
> Now that Camel 3 is out, its the main branch for new features etc.
>
> Camel 2.x is closing down, and Camel 2.25 is the last planned new
> minor release for the 2.x line. All net new development happens on
> Camel 3.x.
>
> I think we should work on getting a blog post on the Camel website
> with the details of this, and the lifecycle of the 2.x.
>
> For example we can say something like:
>
> Camel 2.25 is the last new minor release of Camel 2.x. All net new
> development now happens on Camel 3.x.
>
> For Camel 2.x, then only bug fixes and security vulnerabilities will
> be fixed on the 2.25.x branch, and released from time to time in 2020.
> At the end of the year 2020 Camel 2.x will be retired and EOL.

I would not be so abrupt. Plus, we can't really forbid committer to step up
and
support the 2.x branches... so I'd rather say something along:

All new development now happens on Camel 3.x, so Camel 2.25
is the last planned minor release of the Camel 2.x branch.

We will continue to backport bug fixes and security vulnerabilities
on the 2.x branches and provide releases from time to time, but we
won't commit to support the 2.x branches after 2020.

For those reasons, we do encourage all users to upgrade to Camel 3.x.

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [ISCUSS] Camel 2.x - End of support Lifecycle

Andrea Cosentino-3
i think we cannot avoid committers from working on 2.x, but the general
approach should be to focus on 3.

Il giorno mar 10 dic 2019 alle ore 15:43 Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> Le mar. 10 déc. 2019 à 11:51, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> a écrit
> :
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Now that Camel 3 is out, its the main branch for new features etc.
> >
> > Camel 2.x is closing down, and Camel 2.25 is the last planned new
> > minor release for the 2.x line. All net new development happens on
> > Camel 3.x.
> >
> > I think we should work on getting a blog post on the Camel website
> > with the details of this, and the lifecycle of the 2.x.
> >
> > For example we can say something like:
> >
> > Camel 2.25 is the last new minor release of Camel 2.x. All net new
> > development now happens on Camel 3.x.
> >
> > For Camel 2.x, then only bug fixes and security vulnerabilities will
> > be fixed on the 2.25.x branch, and released from time to time in 2020.
> > At the end of the year 2020 Camel 2.x will be retired and EOL.
> >

> I would not be so abrupt. Plus, we can't really forbid committer to step up
> and
> support the 2.x branches... so I'd rather say something along:
>
> All new development now happens on Camel 3.x, so Camel 2.25
> is the last planned minor release of the Camel 2.x branch.
>
> We will continue to backport bug fixes and security vulnerabilities
> on the 2.x branches and provide releases from time to time, but we
> won't commit to support the 2.x branches after 2020.
>
> For those reasons, we do encourage all users to upgrade to Camel 3.x.
>

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

> Guillaume Nodet

Re: [ISCUSS] Camel 2.x - End of support Lifecycle

gnodet
Agreed.

--
Guillaume Nodet