Is it possible to see which messages are currently "delayed"

Is it possible to see which messages are currently "delayed"

ee7arh
Hi,

I would like to use the delayer pattern quite extensively to delay quite a few messages for up to 6 hours. Is there anyway to see how many or even which messages are currently delayed?

I am routing from a persistent queue to the delayer and then on to a bean. I am worried that once a message is delayed, it will effectivley disppaear of my radar and I won't have a sure way to know how many messages are currently delayed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Andrew

Re: Is it possible to see which messages are currently "delayed"

Claus Ibsen-2
On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 2:47 PM, ee7arh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use the delayer pattern quite extensively to delay quite a
> few messages for up to 6 hours. Is there anyway to see how many or even
> which messages are currently delayed?
6 hours, that is a long time. I think there are settings/features
related to messaging/JMS where you can set some sort of JMS header
to indicate when its "visible" for the consumers. I would assume this
is safer as the message can stay in a persistent queue.

The delayer in Camel is a simple thread sleep feature meant for delays
in seconds. It does not have a visible queue or some sort.

> I am routing from a persistent queue to the delayer and then on to a bean. I
> am worried that once a message is delayed, it will effectivley disppaear of
> my radar and I won't have a sure way to know how many messages are currently
> delayed.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Andrew

Apache Camel Committer

Twitter: http://twitter.com/davsclaus
Apache Camel Reference Card:
http://refcardz.dzone.com/refcardz/enterprise-integration

Re: Is it possible to see which messages are currently "delayed"

Adrian Trenaman-2
Yeah, I"m with Claus on this. Using a delayer for a long period of
time is not a good idea; if the JVM containing the delayer route goes
down while the message is still in memory then you'll loose the message.

Maybe a better approach might be to start a route with a timer, read
the data from a queue or database inside a custom processor, and then
do your processing?

/Ade

On 7 Apr 2009, at 07:00, Claus Ibsen wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 2:47 PM, ee7arh <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to use the delayer pattern quite extensively to delay
>> quite a
>> few messages for up to 6 hours. Is there anyway to see how many or
>> even
>> which messages are currently delayed?
> 6 hours, that is a long time. I think there are settings/features
> related to messaging/JMS where you can set some sort of JMS header
> to indicate when its "visible" for the consumers. I would assume this
> is safer as the message can stay in a persistent queue.
>
> The delayer in Camel is a simple thread sleep feature meant for delays
> in seconds. It does not have a visible queue or some sort.
>

>> I am routing from a persistent queue to the delayer and then on to
>> a bean. I
>> am worried that once a message is delayed, it will effectivley
>> disppaear of
>> my radar and I won't have a sure way to know how many messages are
>> currently
>> delayed.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Andrew

> Apache Camel Committer

> Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/davsclaus
> Apache Camel Reference Card:
> http://refcardz.dzone.com/refcardz/enterprise-integration

---
Adrian Trenaman, Consultant Fellow, PS - Opensource Center of Competence
Progress Software Corp
Shelbourne Road, Dublin 4, Ireland
---
+353-1-637-2659 (Office)