OpenHub framework - Apache Camel, but improved ...

OpenHub framework - Apache Camel, but improved ...

Juza Petr
Dear community,
we would like to introduce to you our OpenHub framework - it’s still Apache Camel but with additional functions and with full application stack based on Spring Boot.

Main OpenHub extensions (https://openhubframework.atlassian.net/wiki/x/QIM):
asynchronous messaging model
parent-child concept
obsolete messages
guaranteed message processing order
confirmation to callee system
alerts and monitoring
cluster support
proven full application stack based on Spring libraries
own admin console GUI

GitHub: https://github.com/OpenWiseSolutions/openhub-framework <https://github.com/OpenWiseSolutions/openhub-framework>
Doc: https://openhubframework.atlassian.net <https://openhubframework.atlassian.net/>

Articles on JavaCodeGeeks:
        Introducing OpenHub framework - https://www.javacodegeeks.com/2017/10/introducing-openhub-framework.html <https://www.javacodegeeks.com/2017/10/introducing-openhub-framework.html>
        Asynchronous communication made by OpenHub framework - https://www.javacodegeeks.com/2017/10/asynchronous-communication-made-openhub-framework.html <https://www.javacodegeeks.com/2017/10/asynchronous-communication-made-openhub-framework.html>
        Next Interesting Features - https://www.javacodegeeks.com/2017/11/openhub-framework-next-interesting-features.html <https://www.javacodegeeks.com/2017/11/openhub-framework-next-interesting-features.html>

Please, we would like to get feedback from you.

Thank you very much.
PETR

   ___                   _   _       _
  / _ \ _ __   ___ _ __ | | | |_   _| |__
 | |_| | |_) |  __/ | | |  _  | |_| | |_) |
  \___/| .__/ \___|_| |_|_| |_|\__,_|_.__/
       |_|                   version: 2.0.0-RC1

Re: OpenHub framework - Apache Camel, but improved ...

bibryam
Hello OpenHub,

It is great to see another product based on Apache Camel. Seems like an
interesting stack with Camel, and hope you become even more successful, and
contribute back to Apache Camel to make it a better as well.

I cannot resist express my personal opinion about one thing I dislike about
OpenHub - its tag line: “Apache Camel, but improved”
Looking at your architecture diagram, it seems it is another packaging of
Apache Camel with modern tools around it, which is great. That is a very
similar model to Talend ESB, JBoss Fuse, JBoss Switchyard, etc. None of
these projects are “Better Camel”, as Camel is a pure library that can be
embedded in all kind of stacks, and aforementioned projects are packaging
of Camel with other projects.

So saying “Better Camel” is misleading as it implies OpenHub is an
equivalent of Camel, where in essence it is Camel with addons.
Don’t take this personally, I have been comparing Camel (to Spring Boot
which is actually something similar to Apache Camel), blogging, defending
Camel often and for over a decade there has not come another framework that
is in the same category as Camel but better. OpenHub is not an exception
here either.

Hope you see my feedback as a constrictive one and it can help you make
OpenHub better.
Good luck and looking forward to see PRs to Camel and make it better ;)

Bilgin

--
Bilgin Ibryam
ASF Member | Architect at Red Hat

Kubernetes Patterns http://leanpub.com/k8spatterns (in progress)
Camel Design Patterns https://leanpub.com/camel-design-patterns

Re: OpenHub framework - Apache Camel, but improved ...

dennyejose
Who ever does these kind of things.. please keep this in mind bro.. I'm not discouraging your effort..but anybody who knows and use camel should now learn spring to use this.. that's a steep learning curve and that's what make people loss their interest in additives.. If you make Camel better by keeping it as it is by introducing new artifacts into it that make sense..Or else u should introduce this to Spring community may be those who don't have much experience with Camel but already speak Spring.. Spring is  almost like Camel what we Camel fans like is the simplicity of Camel and it's very light footprint and powerful integration ability into any codebase without doing a lot of config and coupling headaces

Sent from my Cyanogen phone

--
Bilgin Ibryam
ASF Member | Architect at Red Hat
http://ofbizian.com | @bibryam <https://twitter.com/bibryam>

Kubernetes Patterns http://leanpub.com/k8spatterns (in progress)
Camel Design Patterns https://leanpub.com/camel-design-patterns

Re: OpenHub framework - Apache Camel, but improved ...

Hi Juza

Thanks for announcing your project to the Apache Camel community.

I do hope your team will get chances to participate in the Apache
Camel community as well, and based on your experience, be able to
contribute here as well, whether its bug fixes, new components,
improvements to documentation, etc.

We are a very open and welcoming community, and have seen many people
come and go over the last decade that Apache Camel has been around.

I am glad to see new projects come and reuse parts of Apache Camel for
whatever is being built and offered. For example my own employer does
that in the JBoss Fuse product.

However with my ASF hat on, then I am agreeing with Bilgin, that I see
a concern with how you present your project on your website
http://www.openhub.cz/

The first text that you will see is

           Apache Camel, but improved

As I see it, there are 2 problems:

1)
As Bilgin says, saying Apache Camel but improved, is misleading the
users, as its NOT Apache Camel. There is only ONE Apache Camel.

I would like to hear your thoughts on #1 and hear what we can do done
to correct this.

2)
When you mention any of the ASF projects, on your website or
elsewhere, you must do this according to ASF trademark policy, in
regards to ASF marks. You can read more about this here:
https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

For example Saviortech provides in the bottom of their website an
attribution to ASF about using marks of the Apache projects that
Saviortech uses on their website: http://www.savoirtech.com/camel

I would like to hear your thoughts especially on #1 and hear what we
can do done to correct this.
For #2 then I would suggest to follow the example from Saviortech.
However take a look at that link:

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Bilgin Ibryam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> com/2017/10/introducing-openhub-framework.html>
>>         Asynchronous communication made by OpenHub framework -
>> https://www.javacodegeeks.com/2017/10/asynchronous-
>> communication-made-openhub-framework.html <https://www.javacodegeeks.
>> com/2017/10/asynchronous-communication-made-openhub-framework.html>
>> 2017/11/openhub-framework-next-interesting-features.html <
>> https://www.javacodegeeks.com/2017/11/openhub-framework-
>> next-interesting-features.html>
>>

>> Please, we would like to get feedback from you.
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>> PETR
>>
>>    ___                   _   _       _
>>   / _ \ _ __   ___ _ __ | | | |_   _| |__
>>  | | | | '_ \ / _ \ '_ \| |_| | | | | '_ \
>>  | |_| | |_) |  __/ | | |  _  | |_| | |_) |
>>   \___/| .__/ \___|_| |_|_| |_|\__,_|_.__/
>>        |_|                   version: 2.0.0-RC1

AW: OpenHub framework - Apache Camel, but improved ...

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
The name itself is very close to the home automatisation project
http://www.openhab.org/

just my 2ct

Jan

Dears,
thank you for your feedback and I’m sorry for late respond.

Firstly I would like to explain some following points:
- We released the first public version after several years of internal use. We started working with Camel at 2009 (probably version 2.12) and we sent you several fixes (Camel was much more buggy in the past than nowadays). But honesty I have to say it’s hard to meet project dates with lot of work with pushing fixes/new things back to the community and be able to discuss it. Often you have to make some workaround or make it yourself. It’s also one of the reason why we have been solving some things with ourselves …

- We added Spring Boot (and other libraries) mainly because we like them very much, we prefer microservice architecture and Spring Boot is defacto standard in this container approach. That’s why we don’t use Camel alone. (note: I’m not fan of JBoss Fuse …)

- Apache Camel is the best one - even if I have been always prefering Spring libraries (generally saying), I must say that I prefer Camel to Spring Integration and other possibilities. Your great job.

- Why we decided to use “Apache Camel, but improved”? We wanted to say that it’s Camel (there is no another one) but we added some extensions/addons. We don’t want to explain what is integration framework, our target audience are people from the community, integration developers and we wanted to use few words and say everything - it’s Camel (everybody knows it) but improved (it’s still Camel but we added our implementations for using by others).

To your main points:
1/ if it’s really problem then we will try to find different slogan. Please give us some time, for example to the end of this year.
2/ we don’t know about that - I added it immediatelly to our wiki pages (homepage and contribution pages) and also I will give it to our landing page (together with our first point).

@Claus, please, are you ok with that?

Best regards,
PETR

> [...]
>>> 2017/11/openhub-framework-next-interesting-features.html <
>>> https://www.javacodegeeks.com/2017/11/openhub-framework-
>>> next-interesting-features.html>
>>>

>>> Please, we would like to get feedback from you.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much.
>>> PETR
>>>
>>>   ___                   _   _       _
>>>  / _ \ _ __   ___ _ __ | | | |_   _| |__
>>> | |_| | |_) |  __/ | | |  _  | |_| | |_) |
>>>  \___/| .__/ \___|_| |_|_| |_|\__,_|_.__/
>>>       |_|                   version: 2.0.0-RC1
>>>

>> --
>> Bilgin Ibryam
>> ASF Member | Architect at Red Hat
>> http://ofbizian.com | @bibryam <https://twitter.com/bibryam>
>>
>> Kubernetes Patterns http://leanpub.com/k8spatterns (in progress)
>> Camel Design Patterns https://leanpub.com/camel-design-patterns

Re: OpenHub framework - Apache Camel, but improved ...

Claus Ibsen-2
Hi Petr

Yes this is very good. Thanks for reacting on our concerns. Lets
revisit this in January 2018 when you have had time to come up with
some changes to the OpenHub website.

You and the OpenHub team are surely welcome to ask us at the Camel
community for feedback on the different slogan and other changes that
would be needed on your website. If so then just post here again and
we can take a look and comment.