Participation in the Outreachy May/2020

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Cameleers,
Can you have a look at the Outreachy call for participation[1]? What I
need us to consider are points 1 through 3, on having the
capacity/commitment to mentor interns in the Outreachy program.

Do you think this requires a vote, the wording in point 4. is "Get
consensus from your project’s PMC"?

I for one, can mentor and work on defining project ideas.

zoran

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/2020/02/09/%5BANN%5D+Seeking+volunteer+mentors+from+all+Apache+projects+to+help+mentor+under-represented+contributors
Zoran Regvart

Re: Participation in the Outreachy May/2020

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Cameleers,
we have till next Tuesday (8 days from now) if we wish to participate,

zoran

Zoran Regvart

Re: Participation in the Outreachy May/2020

Andrea Cosentino-3
I think there is consensus around this. I don't think we need a vote for
this initiative.

If someone disagree please answer in the next 24 hours, otherwise we'll go
ahead.

Thanks

Il giorno lun 17 feb 2020 alle ore 13:11 Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> Hi Cameleers,
> we have till next Tuesday (8 days from now) if we wish to participate,
>
> zoran
>
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 9:57 AM Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Cameleers,
> > Can you have a look at the Outreachy call for participation[1]? What I
> > need us to consider are points 1 through 3, on having the
> > capacity/commitment to mentor interns in the Outreachy program.
> >
> > Do you think this requires a vote, the wording in point 4. is "Get
> > consensus from your project’s PMC"?
> >
> > I for one, can mentor and work on defining project ideas.
> >
> > zoran
> >
> > [1]
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/2020/02/09/%5BANN%5D+Seeking+volunteer+mentors+from+all+Apache+projects+to+help+mentor+under-represented+contributors
> > --
> > Zoran Regvart

> Zoran Regvart

Re: Participation in the Outreachy May/2020

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Cameleers,
I've submitted a project proposal to the Outreachy organization.
Here's the description I wrote:

"
Even though the Camel website (camel.apache.org) is only a year old,
it could do with some improvements.

During last year's (2019) Google Summer of Code, we migrated the
content from the Confluence Wiki into Asciidoc documents, created a
build process using Hugo and Antora for the static content (frontpage,
blog, release notes, downloads) and the project documentation (user
manual, component reference, sub-projects documentation), and created
the design of the website we currently have.

With the affordance of hindsight, we now see some improvements that
can be made to the website. Some examples include the ever-expanding
top navigation menu, low color contrast, small touch targets for menus
in mobile version, poor content organization (especially in the user
manual) and the lack of search.

We identified four main focus areas: more modern design, usability,
content organization and improvement, and adding search. This calls
for an intern interested in working on multiple aspects of the
website: design (HTML and CSS), static site generation (Hugo, Antora),
web development (JavaScript). We also welcome any content improvement
such as corrections to the existing documentation or adding new
documentation to the project. One example could be migrating the blog
content from the Confluence wiki to the new Hugo based blog.
"

If you wish to join me in mentoring a potential intern working on this
here is a link where you can apply to co-mentor:

https://www.outreachy.org/outreachy-may-2020-internship-round/communities/apache/improve-apache-camel-website/cfp/

Zoran Regvart

Re: Participation in the Outreachy May/2020

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Cameleers,
you might have noticed the influx of Outreachy applicants making their
first contributions to Camel, and very likely their first
contributions to an open source project.

This is exciting and very good for the Camel community.

If you would like to help and mentor Outreachy interns, feel free to
reach out to me and I can add you as co-mentors. PMC/committers can be
added directly, for non-PMC/committers we have a process of achieving
consensus within the PMC. Get in touch with me for details.

Please have a look at what entails to be a mentor at the Outreachy website:
https://www.outreachy.org/mentor/#mentor

zoran

zoran