RDF Integration

jpcook01
Hi,

I wondered if there was support for RDF integration and SPARQL-driven messager routing yet in camel?

I can't see anything in the components or other docs?

Thanks
Jon

Re: RDF Integration

Claus Ibsen-2
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 9:39 AM, jpcook01 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wondered if there was support for RDF integration and SPARQL-driven
> messager routing yet in camel?
>
> I can't see anything in the components or other docs?

Can you provide more details about RDF?
Maybe a link etc. So people have a better understanding what you ask about.

And if so what kind of integration are you looking for?

> Thanks
> Jon

FuseSource
Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews

Re: RDF Integration

hadrian
Not yet, I wrote a camel-jena component a while ago, at the time Jena
was moving to the ASF. Then they didn't have a release for a long time.
They just had their first release recently.

 From my talks to the guys in the jena community there seems to be some
divergence of ideas about the future of jena and I was waiting to see
how that plays out. In my area there is strong interest in the Semantic
Web field, but apparently not so much in the rest of the world. The
field was more vibrant during the times Stefano and the MIT gang was
working on Simile.

That said, if there is interest, I could brush up my camel-jena, upgrade
it to latest camel version and put it up.

Cheers,
Hadrian

On 04/05/2012 03:39 AM, jpcook01 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wondered if there was support for RDF integration and SPARQL-driven
> messager routing yet in camel?
>
> I can't see anything in the components or other docs?
>
> Thanks
> Jon

Hadrian Zbarcea
Principal Software Architect
Talend, Inc
http://coders.talend.com/
http://camelbot.blogspot.com/

Re: RDF Integration

magnuspalmer
Restlet has a RDF extension, maybe that is worth looking into -
http://wiki.restlet.org/developers/172-restlet/g2/160-restlet.html
There is a chapter of it in the Restlet in Action but I haven't read it yet.

I am not into the Semantic Web any time soon anyway.

Den 5 april 2012 16:11 skrev Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]>:

> Not yet, I wrote a camel-jena component a while ago, at the time Jena was
> moving to the ASF. Then they didn't have a release for a long time. They
> just had their first release recently.
>
> From my talks to the guys in the jena community there seems to be some
> divergence of ideas about the future of jena and I was waiting to see how
> that plays out. In my area there is strong interest in the Semantic Web
> field, but apparently not so much in the rest of the world. The field was
> more vibrant during the times Stefano and the MIT gang was working on
> Simile.
>
> That said, if there is interest, I could brush up my camel-jena, upgrade
> it to latest camel version and put it up.
>
> Cheers,
> Hadrian
>

> On 04/05/2012 03:39 AM, jpcook01 wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wondered if there was support for RDF integration and SPARQL-driven
>> messager routing yet in camel?
>>
>> I can't see anything in the components or other docs?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jon

> Hadrian Zbarcea
> Principal Software Architect
> Talend, Inc
> http://coders.talend.com/
> http://camelbot.blogspot.com/

Re: RDF Integration

hadrian
RDF is one of the main standards (DataFormat in camel terms) the for the
semantic web. From your reference to sparql you seem to be needing not
only marshaling/unmarshaling to/from rdf, but interacting with an
engine, which means a camel endpoint as well.

Hadrian

--
Hadrian Zbarcea
Principal Software Architect
Talend, Inc
http://coders.talend.com/
http://camelbot.blogspot.com/

Re: RDF Integration

jpcook01
Thanks for the replies.

We are using Sesame:
http://www.openrdf.org/doc/sesame2/users/ch01.html

My question was really to establish whether any support existed yet for querying such repositories, it doesn't look like it. Although Sesame does have a restful http protocol, using the http component in camel doesn't seem right to me or maybe for very basic usage.

It would be nice and we have a requirement to be able to marshal/unmarshal  and traverse the rdf graphs when they come back before pushing the payload further along our routes using something like jena.

It would be cool if you could maybe wrap this up like so, just thinking out loud
from("sesame://http://http://example.org/sesame2")
     .sparql("sparql/getNewsAssets.sparql")
    .to("bean:someJenaBeanPerhaps");

I think perhaps a separate component so you could wrap up some of the connection details here:
www.openrdf.org/doc/sesame2/users/ch08.html

Also perhaps being able to ask for the rdf in a variety of different formats such as n3, json or rdf/xml would be quite cool but using a dsl style syntax.

I really like camel and was just curious if anything existed like this yet.

Thanks
Jon

Re: RDF Integration

hadrian
The short answer is: no, not at this time.

Your proposal sounds ok. I personally never used sesame. I just checked
and it uses a BSD license, which is good, no problems there. While as I
said previously my eyes were on jena, there is no problem having camel
multiple camel components targeting the same technology (we do it
already in camel).

Contributions are very welcome, if you want to take a stab at it, it's
not to hard. If you have any questions feel free to ping the list.

Hadrian