[ROADMAP] - To Apache Camel 3.4 LTS release

12

[ROADMAP] - To Apache Camel 3.4 LTS release

So Camel 3.3 is almost out of the door, so lets pickup the pace for
getting the first LTS release of Camel 3.x done - the 3.4.0 release.

It would be good to get this release GA in June 2020.

Here are some things we should take a look at

1)
Some more work on the supervising route controller

2)
Endpoint DSL improvements

3)
Move SB examples to camel-spring-boot-examples

4)
Create Camel SB BOM and update examples to use Camel SB BOM + Spring
Boot BOM together

5)
Wiring of components moved to earlier phase when possible such as
doInit instead of doStart

6)
SendDynamicAware - avoid dependency to camel-core-catalog

7)
Auto configure components/dataformats/languages when they are
initialized (to make it the same for different runtimes, SB vs Main vs
Quarkus etc)

8)
Fix the maven archetypes

There is a 3.5.0 version in JIRA so we can move tickets to the next
release for stuff which we dont complete in time.

Re: [ROADMAP] - To Apache Camel 3.4 LTS release

Andrea Cosentino-2
+1, I'd like to add at least one of the two AWS2 component I'm working on too.

--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 09:25:03 AM GMT+2, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

[...]

jbonofre
+1, I would also add camel-karaf new features (working on it).

Regards
JB

> Le 13 mai 2020 à 09:24, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi
>
> So Camel 3.3 is almost out of the door, so lets pickup the pace for
> getting the first LTS release of Camel 3.x done - the 3.4.0 release.
>
> It would be good to get this release GA in June 2020.
>
> Here are some things we should take a look at
>
> 1)
> Some more work on the supervising route controller
>
> 2)
> Endpoint DSL improvements
>
> 3)
> Move SB examples to camel-spring-boot-examples
>
> 4)
> Create Camel SB BOM and update examples to use Camel SB BOM + Spring
> Boot BOM together
>
> 5)
> Wiring of components moved to earlier phase when possible such as
> doInit instead of doStart
>
> 6)
> SendDynamicAware - avoid dependency to camel-core-catalog
>
> 7)
> Auto configure components/dataformats/languages when they are
> initialized (to make it the same for different runtimes, SB vs Main vs
> Quarkus etc)
>
> 8)
> Fix the maven archetypes
>
> There is a 3.5.0 version in JIRA so we can move tickets to the next
> release for stuff which we dont complete in time.

Re: [ROADMAP] - To Apache Camel 3.4 LTS release

Omar Al-Safi
+1.
I will try to get the azure data lake component into this release (if
possible).

Regards,
Omar

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 1:11 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofre <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1, I would also add camel-karaf new features (working on it).
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> > Le 13 mai 2020 à 09:24, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > So Camel 3.3 is almost out of the door, so lets pickup the pace for
> > getting the first LTS release of Camel 3.x done - the 3.4.0 release.
> >
> > It would be good to get this release GA in June 2020.
> >
> > Here are some things we should take a look at
> >
> > 1)
> > Some more work on the supervising route controller
> >
> > 2)
> > Endpoint DSL improvements
> >
> > 3)
> > Move SB examples to camel-spring-boot-examples
> >
> > 4)
> > Create Camel SB BOM and update examples to use Camel SB BOM + Spring
> > Boot BOM together
> >
> > 5)
> > Wiring of components moved to earlier phase when possible such as
> > doInit instead of doStart
> >
> > 6)
> > SendDynamicAware - avoid dependency to camel-core-catalog
> >
> > 7)
> > Auto configure components/dataformats/languages when they are
> > initialized (to make it the same for different runtimes, SB vs Main vs
> > Quarkus etc)
> >
> > 8)
> > Fix the maven archetypes
> >
> > There is a 3.5.0 version in JIRA so we can move tickets to the next
> > release for stuff which we dont complete in time.
> >
> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: [ROADMAP] - To Apache Camel 3.4 LTS release

lburgazzoli
+1

I'd try to get this https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-15056 in
this release

---
Luca Burgazzoli

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 2:42 PM Omar Al-Safi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1.
> I will try to get the azure data lake component into this release (if
> possible).
>
> Regards,
> Omar
>
> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 1:11 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofre <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1, I would also add camel-karaf new features (working on it).
> >
> > Regards
> > JB
> >
> > > Le 13 mai 2020 à 09:24, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > So Camel 3.3 is almost out of the door, so lets pickup the pace for
> > > getting the first LTS release of Camel 3.x done - the 3.4.0 release.
> > >
> > > It would be good to get this release GA in June 2020.
> > >
> > > Here are some things we should take a look at
> > >
> > > 1)
> > > Some more work on the supervising route controller
> > >
> > > 2)
> > > Endpoint DSL improvements
> > >
> > > 3)
> > > Move SB examples to camel-spring-boot-examples
> > >
> > > 4)
> > > Create Camel SB BOM and update examples to use Camel SB BOM + Spring
> > > Boot BOM together
> > >
> > > 5)
> > > Wiring of components moved to earlier phase when possible such as
> > > doInit instead of doStart
> > >
> > > 6)
> > > SendDynamicAware - avoid dependency to camel-core-catalog
> > >
> > > 7)
> > > Auto configure components/dataformats/languages when they are
> > > initialized (to make it the same for different runtimes, SB vs Main vs
> > > Quarkus etc)
> > >
> > > 8)
> > > Fix the maven archetypes
> > >
> > > There is a 3.5.0 version in JIRA so we can move tickets to the next
> > > release for stuff which we dont complete in time.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Claus Ibsen
> > > -----------------
> > > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus
> > > Camel in Action 2: https://www.manning.com/ibsen2

Re: [ROADMAP] - To Apache Camel 3.4 LTS release

Andrea Cosentino-3
I'm also taking a look at aligning the examples in camel-examples repo.
Actually a bunch of them don't work.

Il giorno mer 13 mag 2020 alle ore 15:36 Luca Burgazzoli <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> +1
>
> I'd try to get this https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-15056 in
> this release
>
> ---
> Luca Burgazzoli
>

> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 2:42 PM Omar Al-Safi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1.
> > I will try to get the azure data lake component into this release (if
> > possible).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Omar
> >
> > On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 1:11 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofre <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > +1, I would also add camel-karaf new features (working on it).
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > JB

> :

> vs

RE: [ROADMAP] - To Apache Camel 3.4 LTS release

Ajmera, Hemang C
   I noticed deprecating of Java 8 is not included in this list. Does it means that Java 8 would be part of Long Term Support?

Thanks and Regards,
Hemang Ajmera

Re: [ROADMAP] - To Apache Camel 3.4 LTS release

Claus Ibsen-2
On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 7:40 PM Ajmera, Hemang C <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>    I noticed deprecating of Java 8 is not included in this list. Does it means that Java 8 would be part of Long Term Support?

Yeah Camel 3.4.0 is both Java 8 and Java 11. Its because this allows
users that are stuck on Java 8 to migrate to Camel 3.4, and stay on
that until its EOL.
And then migrate to Java 11 or better. But it will very likely be the
only LTS release for Java 8.

> Thanks and Regards,
> Hemang Ajmera

By the way the Camel Spring Boot BOM is already available as
camel-spring-boot-dependencies

https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/camel/springboot/camel-spring-boot-dependencies/3.2.0/camel-spring-boot-dependencies-3.2.0.pom

We need to move the example to use this.

Il giorno mer 13 mag 2020 alle ore 19:43 Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 7:40 PM Ajmera, Hemang C <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >    I noticed deprecating of Java 8 is not included in this list. Does it
> means that Java 8 would be part of Long Term Support?
> >

> Yeah Camel 3.4.0 is both Java 8 and Java 11. Its because this allows
> users that are stuck on Java 8 to migrate to Camel 3.4, and stay on
> that until its EOL.
> And then migrate to Java 11 or better. But it will very likely be the
> only LTS release for Java 8.
>

> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Hemang Ajmera

And all the examples are already using the camel-spring-boot-dependencies
BOM.

So we are done.

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 8:22 PM Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And all the examples are already using the camel-spring-boot-dependencies
> BOM.
>
> So we are done.

Okay great.

Can we get a camel-spring-boot-examples git repository and then move
the examples over there.

> Il giorno mer 13 mag 2020 alle ore 20:19 Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]>
> ha scritto:
>
> > By the way the Camel Spring Boot BOM is already available as
> > camel-spring-boot-dependencies
> >

> > https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/camel/springboot/camel-spring-boot-dependencies/3.2.0/camel-spring-boot-dependencies-3.2.0.pom
> >
> > We need to move the example to use this.
> >
> > Il giorno mer 13 mag 2020 alle ore 19:43 Claus Ibsen <
> > [hidden email]> ha scritto:

> >> it means that Java 8 would be part of Long Term Support?
> >> >

> >> Yeah Camel 3.4.0 is both Java 8 and Java 11. Its because this allows
> >> users that are stuck on Java 8 to migrate to Camel 3.4, and stay on
> >> that until its EOL.
> >> And then migrate to Java 11 or better. But it will very likely be the
> >> only LTS release for Java 8.

Sure thing. I'll create the repo

Il mer 13 mag 2020, 20:45 Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 8:22 PM Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > And all the examples are already using the camel-spring-boot-dependencies
> > BOM.
> >
> > So we are done.
> >

> Okay great.
>
> Can we get a camel-spring-boot-examples git repository and then move
> the examples over there.
>

> > Il giorno mer 13 mag 2020 alle ore 20:19 Andrea Cosentino <
> [hidden email]>
> > ha scritto:
> >
> > > By the way the Camel Spring Boot BOM is already available as
> > > camel-spring-boot-dependencies
> > >

> https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/camel/springboot/camel-spring-boot-dependencies/3.2.0/camel-spring-boot-dependencies-3.2.0.pom
> > >
> > > We need to move the example to use this.

> [hidden email]>

> Does

https://github.com/apache/camel-spring-boot-examples

Il giorno mer 13 mag 2020 alle ore 20:57 Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> Sure thing. I'll create the repo
>
> Il mer 13 mag 2020, 20:45 Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
>> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 8:22 PM Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > And all the examples are already using the
>> camel-spring-boot-dependencies
>> > BOM.
>> >
>> > So we are done.
>> >

>> Okay great.
>>
>> Can we get a camel-spring-boot-examples git repository and then move
>> the examples over there.
>>

>> > Il giorno mer 13 mag 2020 alle ore 20:19 Andrea Cosentino <
>> [hidden email]>

>> https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/camel/springboot/camel-spring-boot-dependencies/3.2.0/camel-spring-boot-dependencies-3.2.0.pom

>> [hidden email]>

>> Does

onders-2
+1, trying to catch up with resteasy component in free slots. it will be
done hopefully soon in note of further enhancements in new tickets.

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 9:32 AM Andrea Cosentino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://github.com/apache/camel-spring-boot-examples
>
> Il giorno mer 13 mag 2020 alle ore 20:57 Andrea Cosentino <
> [hidden email]>
> ha scritto:
>
> > Sure thing. I'll create the repo
> >
> > Il mer 13 mag 2020, 20:45 Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> ha
> scritto:

> >> camel-spring-boot-dependencies

> >> Okay great.
> >>
> >> Can we get a camel-spring-boot-examples git repository and then move
> >> the examples over there.

> >> [hidden email]>

> https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/camel/springboot/camel-spring-boot-dependencies/3.2.0/camel-spring-boot-dependencies-3.2.0.pom

> >> [hidden email]>

> >> Does

> allows
> the

9)
We should upgrade to Spring Boot 2.3

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 7:28 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> 9)
> We should upgrade to Spring Boot 2.3

Okay the upgrade is not as simple. I prepared a step on the way by
removing some code that was not compatible anymore.

> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:24 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > So Camel 3.3 is almost out of the door, so lets pickup the pace for
> > getting the first LTS release of Camel 3.x done - the 3.4.0 release.
> >
> > It would be good to get this release GA in June 2020.
> >
> > Here are some things we should take a look at
> >
> > 1)
> > Some more work on the supervising route controller
> >
> > 2)
> > Endpoint DSL improvements
> >
> > 3)
> > Move SB examples to camel-spring-boot-examples
> >
> > 4)
> > Create Camel SB BOM and update examples to use Camel SB BOM + Spring
> > Boot BOM together
> >
> > 5)
> > Wiring of components moved to earlier phase when possible such as
> > doInit instead of doStart
> >
> > 6)
> > SendDynamicAware - avoid dependency to camel-core-catalog
> >
> > 7)
> > Auto configure components/dataformats/languages when they are
> > initialized (to make it the same for different runtimes, SB vs Main vs
> > Quarkus etc)
> >
> > 8)
> > Fix the maven archetypes
> >
> > There is a 3.5.0 version in JIRA so we can move tickets to the next
> > release for stuff which we dont complete in time.
> >
> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: [ROADMAP] - To Apache Camel 3.4 LTS release

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:24 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> So Camel 3.3 is almost out of the door, so lets pickup the pace for
> getting the first LTS release of Camel 3.x done - the 3.4.0 release.
>
> It would be good to get this release GA in June 2020.
>
> Here are some things we should take a look at
>
> 1)
> Some more work on the supervising route controller

DONE

> 2)
> Endpoint DSL improvements

DONE

> 3)
> Move SB examples to camel-spring-boot-examples

NOT DONE

> 4)
> Create Camel SB BOM and update examples to use Camel SB BOM + Spring
> Boot BOM together

WAS ALREADY DONE

> 5)
> Wiring of components moved to earlier phase when possible such as
> doInit instead of doStart

NOT DONE

> 6)
> SendDynamicAware - avoid dependency to camel-core-catalog

NOT DONE

> 7)
> Auto configure components/dataformats/languages when they are
> initialized (to make it the same for different runtimes, SB vs Main vs
> Quarkus etc)

NOT DONE

> 8)
> Fix the maven archetypes

NOT DONE

> There is a 3.5.0 version in JIRA so we can move tickets to the next
> release for stuff which we dont complete in time.

Re: [ROADMAP] - To Apache Camel 3.4 LTS release

Andrea Cosentino-2
I'll take care of moving the SB examples and trying to fix the maven archetype.

--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 10:22:20 AM GMT+2, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:24 AM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> So Camel 3.3 is almost out of the door, so lets pickup the pace for
> getting the first LTS release of Camel 3.x done - the 3.4.0 release.
>
> It would be good to get this release GA in June 2020.
>
> Here are some things we should take a look at
>
> 1)
> Some more work on the supervising route controller

DONE

> 2)
> Endpoint DSL improvements

DONE

> 3)
> Move SB examples to camel-spring-boot-examples

NOT DONE

> 4)
> Create Camel SB BOM and update examples to use Camel SB BOM + Spring
> Boot BOM together

WAS ALREADY DONE

> 5)
> Wiring of components moved to earlier phase when possible such as
> doInit instead of doStart

NOT DONE

> 6)
> SendDynamicAware - avoid dependency to camel-core-catalog

NOT DONE

> 7)
> Auto configure components/dataformats/languages when they are
> initialized (to make it the same for different runtimes, SB vs Main vs
> Quarkus etc)

NOT DONE

> 8)
> Fix the maven archetypes

NOT DONE

> There is a 3.5.0 version in JIRA so we can move tickets to the next
> release for stuff which we dont complete in time.

Re: [ROADMAP] - To Apache Camel 3.4 LTS release

Zheng Feng
> 5)
> Wiring of components moved to earlier phase when possible such as
> doInit instead of doStart

Is there any relevant CAMEL issue ? I can take a look.

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 1:27 PM Zheng Feng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > 5)
> > Wiring of components moved to earlier phase when possible such as
> > doInit instead of doStart
> >
> Is there any relevant CAMEL issue ? I can take a look.

its a bit case by case as it depends on what init logic each component does.
So the point is to do init for static like stuff, and start for stuff
that creates threads / thread pools / read files / env variables or
anything that are runtime dependent.