Requesting for guidance

Nayananga Muhandiram
Hello Everyone,
My name is Nayananga Muhandiram. I was one of Google Summer of Code 2019
contributor for apache camel website. I`m hoping to apply Google Summer of
code 2020 as well. So I would like to request your guidance to learn and
handle more complex tasks than GSoC 2019. As the initial step, I would like
to know are there any tasks lagging which I can learn and work on?

Thank You.

Nayananga Anuradha Muhandiram
Computer Science Undergraduate at  University of Jaffna
M  +94716369541  <+94716369541>
E  [hidden email]  <[hidden email]>
<https://web.facebook.com/nayananga>
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/nayanangamuhandiram/>
<https://github.com/Nayananga>
<https://stackoverflow.com/users/8036190/nayananga-muhandiram>
<https://medium.com/@nayanangamuhandiram>
<https://getupdatedvianayanangamuhandiram.blogspot.com/>

Re: Requesting for guidance

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Nayananga,
I think it's important that you work on something that interests you.
Typical areas of contributions we see in Camel is adding new
components, improving the existing components or improving the Camel
core itself. We also have two new subprojects one geared towards
running Camel on Kubernetes (camel-k), project for running in
lightweight or ahead of time compiled environment (camel-quarkus).

Perhaps you can have a look at a service or technology that interests
you first and then try to find a way to contribute in that area of
Camel?

zoran

Zoran Regvart

Re: Requesting for guidance

Nayananga Muhandiram
Hello Mr Zoran, Thank you for your response. I saw a few interesting issues
to contribute to. I`ll attach my Jira search query here
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13699?jql=project%20%3D%20CAMEL%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20resolution%20in%20(Unresolved%2C%20Incomplete)%20AND%20%22Estimated%20Complexity%22%20%3D%20Moderate%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20updated%20DESC
.
Can anyone tell me which is going to label as *gsoc2020?* so I can narrow
down my GSoC 2020 project proposal.

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 at 00:03, Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nayananga,
> I think it's important that you work on something that interests you.
> Typical areas of contributions we see in Camel is adding new
> components, improving the existing components or improving the Camel
> core itself. We also have two new subprojects one geared towards
> running Camel on Kubernetes (camel-k), project for running in
> lightweight or ahead of time compiled environment (camel-quarkus).
>
> Perhaps you can have a look at a service or technology that interests
> you first and then try to find a way to contribute in that area of
> Camel?
>
> zoran
>
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 8:50 PM Nayananga Muhandiram
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Everyone,
> > My name is Nayananga Muhandiram. I was one of Google Summer of Code 2019
> > contributor for apache camel website. I`m hoping to apply Google Summer
> of
> > code 2020 as well. So I would like to request your guidance to learn and
> > handle more complex tasks than GSoC 2019. As the initial step, I would
> like
> > to know are there any tasks lagging which I can learn and work on?
> >
> > Thank You.
> >
> > Nayananga Anuradha Muhandiram
> > Computer Science Undergraduate at  University of Jaffna
> > M  +94716369541  <+94716369541>
> > E  [hidden email]  <[hidden email]>
> > <https://web.facebook.com/nayananga>
> > <https://www.linkedin.com/in/nayanangamuhandiram/>
> > <https://github.com/Nayananga>
> > <https://stackoverflow.com/users/8036190/nayananga-muhandiram>
> > <https://medium.com/@nayanangamuhandiram>
> > <https://getupdatedvianayanangamuhandiram.blogspot.com/>

> Zoran Regvart

Re: Requesting for guidance

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Nayananga,
I would look for issues of "New Feature" issue type and perhaps look
at some recently created ones, like in this filter:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12347865

There are issues for new components, like:

Or issues that enhance the core/platform of Camel, like:

As I've noted before we have new subprojects in Camel that could also
be interesting, and they're using GitHub issues. For those have a look
at some issues that have help wanted or easy fix tags/labels on them .
For example:

https://github.com/apache/camel-k/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3A%22easy+fix+-+newcomers%22

https://github.com/apache/camel-quarkus/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3A%22help+wanted%22

https://github.com/apache/camel-kafka-connector/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3Anewcomers

We have received a note from the GSoC coordinator at the ASF about
plans for ASF to be mentoring organization, but we haven't received a
request to tag issues for GSoC 2020. I guess that will happen soon,
but I don't have any further information on that.

You're always welcome to propose a topic yourself, and we can see how
that would fit in Camel.

zoran

Re: Requesting for guidance

Nayananga Muhandiram
Hello Mr. Zoran, Thank you for your response.

From the new components issues, I would prefer

There are issues for new components, like:

From enhancing core/platform of the camel I would prefer

Or issues that enhance the core/platform of Camel, like:

From GitHub issues, I would prefer

https://github.com/apache/camel-k/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3A%22easy+fix+-+newcomers%22

Please let me know what you think.And untill gsoc organizations announcing
for 2020. Ill try to fix some easy fix tasks in github issues that you've
pointed out.

Thank you.

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020, 14:43 Zoran Regvart, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nayananga,
> I would look for issues of "New Feature" issue type and perhaps look
> at some recently created ones, like in this filter:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12347865
>
> There are issues for new components, like:
>
> Or issues that enhance the core/platform of Camel, like:
>
> As I've noted before we have new subprojects in Camel that could also
> be interesting, and they're using GitHub issues. For those have a look
> at some issues that have help wanted or easy fix tags/labels on them .
> For example:
>

> https://github.com/apache/camel-k/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3A%22easy+fix+-+newcomers%22
>

> https://github.com/apache/camel-quarkus/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3A%22help+wanted%22
>

> https://github.com/apache/camel-kafka-connector/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3Anewcomers
>
> We have received a note from the GSoC coordinator at the ASF about
> plans for ASF to be mentoring organization, but we haven't received a
> request to tag issues for GSoC 2020. I guess that will happen soon,
> but I don't have any further information on that.
>
> You're always welcome to propose a topic yourself, and we can see how
> that would fit in Camel.
>
> zoran

Re: Requesting for guidance

Zoran Regvart-2
Hi Nayananga,
all of these are good candidates, feel free to investigate those a bit
and see what would best suit you, no need to do something that's not
interesting to you. Also make sure not to take on too much work, for
that I guess it's best that you familiarize yourself with the
technologies referenced, especially for the new components, and try to
think of what would be a minimal set of functionality to implement
first.

If pick some issues to start with, make sure that you comment on them
so the reporter and anyone else interested has a chance to interact
with you and is also aware that you would like to work on it.

zoran

Zoran Regvart

Re: Requesting for guidance

Nayananga Muhandiram
Hello Mr Zoran, again thank you for your response. I`ve put a comment on
issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13934
looking forward to hearing from anyone soon.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 at 19:05, Zoran Regvart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > be interesting, and they're using GitHub issues. For those have a look
> > > at some issues that have help wanted or easy fix tags/labels on them .
> > > For example:
> > >

> https://github.com/apache/camel-k/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3A%22easy+fix+-+newcomers%22
> > >

> https://github.com/apache/camel-quarkus/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3A%22help+wanted%22
> > >

> https://github.com/apache/camel-kafka-connector/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3Anewcomers
> > >
> > > We have received a note from the GSoC coordinator at the ASF about
> > > plans for ASF to be mentoring organization, but we haven't received a
> > > request to tag issues for GSoC 2020. I guess that will happen soon,
> > > but I don't have any further information on that.
> > >
> > > You're always welcome to propose a topic yourself, and we can see how

Re: Requesting for guidance

Andrea Cosentino-3
I think it's really a nice choice. Good idea

Il sab 25 gen 2020, 17:20 Nayananga Muhandiram <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> [...]
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Mr. Zoran, Thank you for your response.
> > >
> > > From the new components issues, I would prefer
> > >
> > > There are issues for new components, like:
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-14158
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13934
> > >
> > > From enhancing core/platform of the camel I would prefer
> > >
> > > Or issues that enhance the core/platform of Camel, like:
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-14135
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-14053
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-12623
> > >
> > > From GitHub issues, I would prefer
> > >

> https://github.com/apache/camel-k/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc+label%3A%22easy+fix+-+newcomers%22
> > >
> > > Please let me know what you think.And untill gsoc organizations
> > announcing
> > > for 2020. Ill try to fix some easy fix tasks in github issues that

Re: Requesting for guidance

Nayananga Muhandiram
Thank you, I see that this issue has been labeled as gsoc2020. So I would
like to get some suggestions for references inorder to learn about the
project scope and so on. And also I hope to give some contributions on easy
fix issues from this weekend onwards.
Thank you.😊😊