Unexpected exception parsing XML document from ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/config/applicationContext.xml]; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException

Unexpected exception parsing XML document from ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/config/applicationContext.xml]; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException

JavaDeveloper
I was getting below exception while starting up webpshere application server. Can pointers would be greatly appreciated

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException: Unexpected exception parsing XML document from ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/config/applicationContext.xml]; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.doLoadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:412)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:334)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:302)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.java:143)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.java:178)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.java:149)
        at org.springframework.web.context.support.XmlWebApplicationContext.loadBeanDefinitions(XmlWebApplicationContext.java:124)
        at org.springframework.web.context.support.XmlWebApplicationContext.loadBeanDefinitions(XmlWebApplicationContext.java:93)
        at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractRefreshableApplicationContext.refreshBeanFactory(AbstractRefreshableApplicationContext.java:130)
        at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.obtainFreshBeanFactory(AbstractApplicationContext.java:467)
        at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:397)
        at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.createWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:261)
        at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:192)
        at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:47)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.notifyServletContextCreated(WebApp.java:1649)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppImpl.initialize(WebAppImpl.java:410)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebGroupImpl.addWebApplication(WebGroupImpl.java:88)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.VirtualHostImpl.addWebApplication(VirtualHostImpl.java:169)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WSWebContainer.addWebApp(WSWebContainer.java:748)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WSWebContainer.addWebApplication(WSWebContainer.java:633)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.component.WebContainerImpl.install(WebContainerImpl.java:422)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.component.WebContainerImpl.start(WebContainerImpl.java:714)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.start(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:1134)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.fireDeployedObjectStart(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:1369)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedModuleImpl.start(DeployedModuleImpl.java:638)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.start(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:967)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.startApplication(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:730)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.start(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:2129)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl.start(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:445)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitImpl.start(CompositionUnitImpl.java:123)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl.start(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:388)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl.access$500(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:116)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl$CUInitializer.run(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:994)
        at com.ibm.wsspi.runtime.component.WsComponentImpl$_AsynchInitializer.run(WsComponentImpl.java:349)
        at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:1648)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.Activator.getURLConverter(Activator.java:342)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.FileLocator.resolve(FileLocator.java:227)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:37)
        at org.springframework.util.ReflectionUtils.invokeMethod(ReflectionUtils.java:187)
        at org.springframework.core.io.support.PathMatchingResourcePatternResolver.resolveRootDirResource(PathMatchingResourcePatternResolver.java:397)
        at org.springframework.core.io.support.PathMatchingResourcePatternResolver.findPathMatchingResources(PathMatchingResourcePatternResolver.java:343)
        at org.springframework.core.io.support.PathMatchingResourcePatternResolver.getResources(PathMatchingResourcePatternResolver.java:269)
        at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.getResources(AbstractApplicationContext.java:1227)
        at org.springframework.context.annotation.ClassPathScanningCandidateComponentProvider.findCandidateComponents(ClassPathScanningCandidateComponentProvider.java:204)
        at org.springframework.context.annotation.ClassPathBeanDefinitionScanner.doScan(ClassPathBeanDefinitionScanner.java:204)
        at org.springframework.context.annotation.ComponentScanBeanDefinitionParser.parse(ComponentScanBeanDefinitionParser.java:84)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.NamespaceHandlerSupport.parse(NamespaceHandlerSupport.java:73)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.parseCustomElement(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:1335)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.parseCustomElement(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:1325)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.parseBeanDefinitions(DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.java:135)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.registerBeanDefinitions(DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.java:93)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.registerBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:493)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.doLoadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:390)
        ... 34 more

Re: Unexpected exception parsing XML document from ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/config/applicationContext.xml]; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException

It is hard to tell why the NPE was thrown.
Can you try to deploy the application into other WebContainer to see if it works ?

--
Willem Jiang

Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Web: http://www.fusesource.com | http://www.redhat.com
Blog: http://willemjiang.blogspot.com (http://willemjiang.blogspot.com/) (English)
          http://jnn.javaeye.com (http://jnn.javaeye.com/) (Chinese)
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: willemjiang

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 6:22 AM, raokanduri wrote:

> [...]
> org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.parseBeanDefinitions(DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.java:135)
> at
> org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.registerBeanDefinitions(DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.java:93)
> at
> org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.registerBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:493)
> at
> org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.doLoadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:390)
> ... 34 more

Re: Unexpected exception parsing XML document from ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/config/applicationContext.xml]; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException

What JDK, Camel, and Spring versions do you use?
If using JDK7 you need Spring 2.10 or better.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM, raokanduri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>         at
> org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.registerBeanDefinitions(DefaultBeanDefinitionDocumentReader.java:93)
>         at
> org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.registerBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:493)
>         at
> org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.doLoadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:390)
>         ... 34 more

FuseSource is now part of Red Hat

Re: Unexpected exception parsing XML document from ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/config/applicationContext.xml]; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException

Manoj_Kolhe
Hi Claus,

I am also facing similar issue with JDK 7 / Tomcat 7 on Windows / Linux environment with Spring 3.0 jars.

When same war is deployed again or tried to start the application, it fails again but eventually it will work in 2-3 tries.

I am being asked so many questions that same war deployed is giving error even after restarting tomcat but it will work after re-deploy or restart of application.

Any possible remedies to this?

Please help urgently.

Thanks in advance,
Manoj

Re: Unexpected exception parsing XML document from ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/config/applicationContext.xml]; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException

Did you use the latest version of JDK7?
We got this kind of issue with the earlier version of JDK7 before.

--
Willem Jiang

Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Web: http://www.fusesource.com | http://www.redhat.com
Blog: http://willemjiang.blogspot.com (http://willemjiang.blogspot.com/) (English)
          http://jnn.iteye.com (http://jnn.javaeye.com/) (Chinese)
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

On Friday, February 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM, CamelNewbieUser wrote:

> Hi Claus,
>
> I am also facing similar issue with JDK 7 / Tomcat 7 on Windows / Linux
> environment with Spring 3.0 jars.
>
> When same war is deployed again or tried to start the application, it fails
> again but eventually it will work in 2-3 tries.
>
> I am being asked so many questions that same war deployed is giving error
> even after restarting tomcat but it will work after re-deploy or restart of
> application.
>

> Any possible remedies to this?
>
> Please help urgently.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Manoj

Re: Unexpected exception parsing XML document from ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/config/applicationContext.xml]; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException

Manoj_Kolhe
Thanks for quick revert.

Should there be any possible way to fix this for all versions of JDK.

Since our camel project has gone into production, it is hard or impossible to modify server environment, it will need compatibility testing for all the apps deployed.

Can we trace the root cause for this, somehow?

Thanks in advance,
Manoj

Re: Unexpected exception parsing XML document from ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/config/applicationContext.xml]; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 7:36 AM, CamelNewbieUser
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Claus,
>
> I am also facing similar issue with JDK 7 / Tomcat 7 on Windows / Linux
> environment with Spring 3.0 jars.
>
> When same war is deployed again or tried to start the application, it fails
> again but eventually it will work in 2-3 tries.
>
> I am being asked so many questions that same war deployed is giving error
> even after restarting tomcat but it will work after re-deploy or restart of
> application.

When using JDK7 you should use JAXB 2.2. if you include JAXB JARs in
your application.
JAXB 2.1 is better used for JDK6 only.

> Any possible remedies to this?
>
> Please help urgently.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Manoj

FuseSource is now part of Red Hat

Re: Unexpected exception parsing XML document from ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/config/applicationContext.xml]; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException

ramana
but same error is coming................ again