Using Camel in web-app without Spring

bibryam
Hi,

is there any example or a helper class for running (starting/stopping)
Camel in a web-app without using Spring xml?

There is an example servlet app [1] and a tutorial [2] for running Camel in
a web-app, but both are using Spring

[1] http://camel.apache.org/servlet-tomcat-example.html
[2]
http://camel.apache.org/tutorial-on-using-camel-in-a-web-application.html

Bilgin

Re: Using Camel in web-app without Spring

How would you bootstrap Camel in the web app?

For example using a servlet or context listener?
But then how would it know which routes / and whatnot to include?

I guess either some new fancy CDI or you would have to refer to a
config file / java class or whatnot?

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Bilgin Ibryam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there any example or a helper class for running (starting/stopping)
> Camel in a web-app without using Spring xml?
>
> There is an example servlet app [1] and a tutorial [2] for running Camel in
> a web-app, but both are using Spring
>
> [1] http://camel.apache.org/servlet-tomcat-example.html
> [2]
> http://camel.apache.org/tutorial-on-using-camel-in-a-web-application.html
>

> Bilgin

FuseSource
Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews

Re: Using Camel in web-app without Spring

bibryam
Claus,

I was thinking to use ServletContextListener and create/start
DefaultCamelContext when contextInitialized is called. The route I want to
use is quite simple, so I can create it straightforward.

Then stop camelContext when contextDestroyed is called.

Similar to running camel as standalone app with Main class.

Do you see any issues with this approach?

Thanks
Bilgin

On 25 June 2012 16:55, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> How would you bootstrap Camel in the web app?
>
> For example using a servlet or context listener?
> But then how would it know which routes / and whatnot to include?
>
> I guess either some new fancy CDI or you would have to refer to a
> config file / java class or whatnot?
>

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Bilgin Ibryam <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there any example or a helper class for running (starting/stopping)
> > Camel in a web-app without using Spring xml?
> >
> > There is an example servlet app [1] and a tutorial [2] for running Camel
> in
> > a web-app, but both are using Spring
> >
> > [1] http://camel.apache.org/servlet-tomcat-example.html
> > [2]
> >
> http://camel.apache.org/tutorial-on-using-camel-in-a-web-application.html
> >

> > Bilgin

> FuseSource
> Email: [hidden email]
> Web: http://fusesource.com
> Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews
> Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Re: Using Camel in web-app without Spring

Bruno Borges
The only issue I see is that you will be kind of implementing your own
"Spring-based" context.

What are you trying to achieve by *NOT* using Spring?

*Bruno Borges*
(21) 7672-7099
*www.brunoborges.com*

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Bilgin Ibryam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Claus,
>
> I was thinking to use ServletContextListener and create/start
> DefaultCamelContext when contextInitialized is called. The route I want to
> use is quite simple, so I can create it straightforward.
>
> Then stop camelContext when contextDestroyed is called.
>
> Similar to running camel as standalone app with Main class.
>
> Do you see any issues with this approach?
>
> Thanks
> Bilgin
>
> On 25 June 2012 16:55, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > How would you bootstrap Camel in the web app?
> >
> > For example using a servlet or context listener?
> > But then how would it know which routes / and whatnot to include?
> >
> > I guess either some new fancy CDI or you would have to refer to a
> > config file / java class or whatnot?
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Bilgin Ibryam <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > is there any example or a helper class for running (starting/stopping)
> > > Camel in a web-app without using Spring xml?
> > >
> > > There is an example servlet app [1] and a tutorial [2] for running
> Camel
> > in
> > > a web-app, but both are using Spring
> > >
> > > [1] http://camel.apache.org/servlet-tomcat-example.html
> > > [2]
> > >

> http://camel.apache.org/tutorial-on-using-camel-in-a-web-application.html
> > >

> > > Bilgin
> >

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > FuseSource
> > Email: [hidden email]
> > Web: http://fusesource.com
> > Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews
> > Blog: http://davsclaus.com
> > Author of Camel in Action: http://www.manning.com/ibsen

Re: Using Camel in web-app without Spring

bibryam
Nothing special, we decided to use google-guice and I don't want to
introduce Spring in order to use Camel. And as Spring is not mandatory
dependency for Camel any longer, it should be easy w/o it.

Bilgin

Charles Moulliard
You can also uses since camel 2.10, the camel-cdi component which allows to use a Context Dependency Injection container. Here is an example (https://github.com/cmoulliard/cdi-camel-example).

Regards,