[VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

12

[VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

hadrian
A new release apache-camel-2.5.0 is out with approximately 287 issues resolved: new features, improvements and bug fixes.

Please find the staging repo here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-001/
The tarballs are here
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-001/org/apache/camel/apache-camel/2.5.0/

Please review and vote to approve this release binary. Your vote counts!

[ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache Camel 2.5.0
Vote is open for 72 hours.

Here's my +1

Hadrian

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

Claus Ibsen-2
I gave the source code for the Camel in Action book a test with the
staging repo and it all looks good.

I will try the examples from the kit and check the generated manual as
well later.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A new release apache-camel-2.5.0 is out with approximately 287 issues resolved: new features, improvements and bug fixes.
>
> Please find the staging repo here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-001/
> The tarballs are here
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-001/org/apache/camel/apache-camel/2.5.0/
>
> Please review and vote to approve this release binary. Your vote counts!

> Vote is open for 72 hours.
>
> Here's my +1
>
> Hadrian

Apache Camel Committer

Twitter: http://twitter.com/davsclaus

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

S. Ali Tokmen-2
  The latest SNAPSHOT is looking great

Here is my +1 for CAMEL 2.5.0

S. Ali Tokmen
[hidden email]

Office: +33 4 76 29 76 19
GSM:    +33 66 43 00 555

Bull, Architect of an Open World TM
http://www.bull.com

On 18/10/2010 08:03, Claus Ibsen wrote:

> I gave the source code for the Camel in Action book a test with the
> staging repo and it all looks good.
>
> I will try the examples from the kit and check the generated manual as
> well later.
>

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> A new release apache-camel-2.5.0 is out with approximately 287 issues resolved: new features, improvements and bug fixes.
>>
>> Please find the staging repo here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-001/
>> The tarballs are here
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-001/org/apache/camel/apache-camel/2.5.0/
>>
>> Please review and vote to approve this release binary. Your vote counts!
>>
>> [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache Camel 2.5.0
>> [ ] -1 Veto the release (provide specific comments)
>> Vote is open for 72 hours.
>>
>> Here's my +1
>>
>> Hadrian

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

jbonofre
+1 (non-binding).

All my routes work without problem.

Regards
JB

On 10/18/2010 04:05 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:

> A new release apache-camel-2.5.0 is out with approximately 287 issues resolved: new features, improvements and bug fixes.
>
> Please find the staging repo here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-001/
> The tarballs are here
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-001/org/apache/camel/apache-camel/2.5.0/
>
> Please review and vote to approve this release binary. Your vote counts!

> Vote is open for 72 hours.
>
> Here's my +1
>
> Hadrian

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

Schneider Christian
I just downloaded the apache-camel-2.5.0.zip.

The examples directory looks strange. There are a lot of files with extension ".<number>.formatted". I do not think the belong there. As the examples are very important for the users I think we should correct this. I am not sure if this is a blocker though so I avoid voting at the moment.

Sorry for posting this out of context of the thread but I was not subscribed to the dev list with my work account and so I can´t simply reply on the vote message.

Best Regards

Christian Schneider
Informationsverarbeitung
Business Solutions
Handel und Dispatching

Tel : +49-(0)721-63-15482

EnBW Systeme Infrastruktur Support GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mannheim ‑ HRB 108550
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Bernhard Beck
Geschäftsführer: Jochen Adenau, Hans-Günther Meier

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

jbonofre
Hi,

the .formatted extension comes from a bug in maven-assembly-plugin
beta5 (I had the same in ServiceMix).
I downgraded to maven-assembly-plugin beta4 (not tried with assembly 2.2
just released).

Regards
JB

On 10/18/2010 11:04 AM, Schneider Christian wrote:

> I just downloaded the apache-camel-2.5.0.zip.
>
> The examples directory looks strange. There are a lot of files with extension ".<number>.formatted". I do not think the belong there. As the examples are very important for the users I think we should correct this. I am not sure if this is a blocker though so I avoid voting at the moment.
>
> Sorry for posting this out of context of the thread but I was not subscribed to the dev list with my work account and so I can´t simply reply on the vote message.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Christian Schneider
> Informationsverarbeitung
> Business Solutions
> Handel und Dispatching
>
> Tel : +49-(0)721-63-15482
>
> EnBW Systeme Infrastruktur Support GmbH
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe
> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mannheim ‑ HRB 108550
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Bernhard Beck
> Geschäftsführer: Jochen Adenau, Hans-Günther Meier

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

abentley
-1
The CamelContext init is very slow now.  It seems to load every type converter upon startup.  We create , start, stop, delete endpoints (routes) dynamically, increased start-up lag of each context is now very noticeable.   Could the type converters be "lazy loaded" ?    I understand if you want to push this off to 3.0.   my 2 cents.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:24 PM, abentley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -1
> The CamelContext init is very slow now.  It seems to load every type
> converter upon startup.  We create , start, stop, delete endpoints (routes)
> dynamically, increased start-up lag of each context is now very noticeable.
> Could the type converters be "lazy loaded" ?    I understand if you want to
> push this off to 3.0.   my 2 cents.

It logs how long time it take to load the type converters. Check your logs.
It ought to do that in < 1 sec.

Create a ticket in JIRA if you are looking for an option to disable

Apache Camel Committer

Twitter: http://twitter.com/davsclaus

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

Mark Ford
It looks like this behavior changed in Camel 2.2. I noticed it when
switching my camel-jmx component from 2.1 to 2.5-SNAPSHOT. Suddenly my
suite of unit tests went from 1 second to 6 seconds. I can recreate
this behavior with versions 2.2, 2.3, and 2.5-SNAPSHOT. I didn't try
with 2.4.

The initial load time is below a second as you've indicated but it's
still undesirable in certain cases. I'll run a couple of additional
tests and enter a JIRA ticket.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:24 PM, abentley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> -1
>> The CamelContext init is very slow now.  It seems to load every type
>> converter upon startup.  We create , start, stop, delete endpoints (routes)
>> dynamically, increased start-up lag of each context is now very noticeable.
>> Could the type converters be "lazy loaded" ?    I understand if you want to
>> push this off to 3.0.   my 2 cents.
>
> It logs how long time it take to load the type converters. Check your logs.
> It ought to do that in < 1 sec.
>
> Create a ticket in JIRA if you are looking for an option to disable

> Apache Camel Committer

> Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/davsclaus

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

Christian Mueller
Administrator
Hello Hadrian!

I cannot download the artifacts from the staging repository, because I
receive a "Bad Gateway". Do you canceled the vote already?

Regards,
Christian

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

hadrian
No, the artifacts are there, I can access them:

On Oct 18, 2010, at 5:39 PM, Christian Müller wrote:

> Hello Hadrian!
>
> I cannot download the artifacts from the staging repository, because I
> receive a "Bad Gateway". Do you canceled the vote already?
>
> Regards,
> Christian

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

Johan Edstrom-2
Yes, even has a nice directory listing.

On Oct 18, 2010, at 7:53 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:

> No, the artifacts are there, I can access them:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-001/org/apache/camel/apache-camel/2.5.0/
>
> Hadrian
>
> On Oct 18, 2010, at 5:39 PM, Christian Müller wrote:
>
>> Hello Hadrian!
>>
>> I cannot download the artifacts from the staging repository, because I
>> receive a "Bad Gateway". Do you canceled the vote already?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Christian

Johan Edstrom

[hidden email]

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the .formatted extension comes from a bug in maven-assembly-plugin beta5 (I
> had the same in ServiceMix).
> I downgraded to maven-assembly-plugin beta4 (not tried with assembly 2.2
> just released).

I just tried locally to upgrade the 2.2 assembly and the generated ZIP
file does not contain any numbers.
But of course that is locally by running: mvn clean install in the
apache-camel directory.

I committed the upgrade in rev 1024121

> Regards
> JB
>
> On 10/18/2010 11:04 AM, Schneider Christian wrote:
>>
>> I just downloaded the apache-camel-2.5.0.zip.
>>
>> The examples directory looks strange. There are a lot of files with
>> extension ".<number>.formatted". I do not think the belong there. As the
>> examples are very important for the users I think we should correct this. I
>> am not sure if this is a blocker though so I avoid voting at the moment.
>>
>> Sorry for posting this out of context of the thread but I was not
>> subscribed to the dev list with my work account and so I can´t simply reply
>> on the vote message.
>>
>> Best Regards
>>
>> Christian Schneider
>> Informationsverarbeitung
>> Business Solutions
>> Handel und Dispatching
>>
>> Tel : +49-(0)721-63-15482
>>
>> EnBW Systeme Infrastruktur Support GmbH
>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe
>> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mannheim - HRB 108550
>> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Bernhard Beck
>> Geschäftsführer: Jochen Adenau, Hans-Günther Meier

Apache Camel Committer

Twitter: http://twitter.com/davsclaus

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

Martin Krasser-3

here's a brief summary of my test runs with Camel 2.5 RC:

- akka-camel examples at
http://code.google.com/p/camelinaction/source/browse/#svn/trunk/appendixE work
fine with Camel 2.5
- also upgraded Akka to Camel 2.5 and all test and examples are running
through, except for a JMS example when using ActiveMQ 5.4.1 (see below)
- Camel depends on ActiveMQ 5.4.1 which has a blocker bug open
(https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-2935). I was seing this
issue as well in the aforementioned akka-camel example. It works fine
with ActiveMQ 5.3.2. We should mention this in the release notes that
users should *not* use ActiveMQ 5.4.2 but 5.3.2 instead. WDYT?
- still need to test Camel 2.5 with IPF (should be able to find some
time tomorrow)

--
Martin Krasser

blog:    http://krasserm.blogspot.com
code:    http://github.com/krasserm
twitter: http://twitter.com/mrt1nz

AW: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

Schneider Christian
How about the problem with the examples? I copy the content from my mail here as it was a spearate thread.
---
I just downloaded the apache-camel-2.5.0.zip.

The examples directory looks strange. There are a lot of files with extension ".<number>.formatted". I do not think the belong there. As the examples are very important for the users I think we should correct this. I am not sure if this is a blocker though so I avoid voting at the moment.

---
Jean-Baptiste Onofré responded with an idea how to fix the problem:

Hi,

the .formatted extension comes from a bug in maven-assembly-plugin
beta5 (I had the same in ServiceMix).
I downgraded to maven-assembly-plugin beta4 (not tried with assembly 2.2
just released).

Regards
JB
-----

Thanks

Christian

On 10/18/10 2:03 PM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
> I gave the source code for the Camel in Action book a test with the
> staging repo and it all looks good.

I just ran the test of Camel in Action Book, and found this issue[1]
with Camel 2.5.0. The patch is committed into the trunk now.

[1]https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/CAMEL-3252

--
Willem
----------------------------------
          http://jnn.javaeye.com (Chinese)
Twitter: http://twitter.com/willemjiang

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Schneider Christian
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about the problem with the examples? I copy the content from my mail here as it was a spearate thread.
> ---
> I just downloaded the apache-camel-2.5.0.zip.
>
> The examples directory looks strange. There are a lot of files with extension ".<number>.formatted". I do not think the belong there. As the examples are very important for the users I think we should correct this. I am not sure if this is a blocker though so I avoid voting at the moment.
>
> ---
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré responded with an idea how to fix the problem:
>
> Hi,
>
> the .formatted extension comes from a bug in maven-assembly-plugin
> beta5 (I had the same in ServiceMix).
> I downgraded to maven-assembly-plugin beta4 (not tried with assembly 2.2
> just released).

I wonder what the community think? I tried the 2.2 assembly and it
created a ZIP file on my laptop without the numbers.
But I wonder if something happens afterwards when Hadrian does the
release process, which could cause the numbers to appear, if he also
uses the 2.2 version?

Of course it would be nice with a release without those numbers, but
its not a blocker IMHO.
We can of course note this in the release notes.

So do we want a quicker release, or should we send beers to Hadrian
and ask him to redo the release?
Then we could pickup the minor commits done since. Or redo based on the tag?

Thoughts?

> Regards
> JB
> -----
>

> Thanks
>
> Christian
>

> Christian Schneider
> Informationsverarbeitung
> Business Solutions
> Handel und Dispatching
>
> Tel : +49-(0)721-63-15482
>
> EnBW Systeme Infrastruktur Support GmbH
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe
> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mannheim ­ HRB 108550
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Bernhard Beck

Hi Claus,

Agree to go to the release. Just a mention in the release note is enough.

Regards
JB

On 10/19/2010 02:32 PM, Claus Ibsen wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Schneider Christian
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> How about the problem with the examples? I copy the content from my mail here as it was a spearate thread.
>> ---
>> I just downloaded the apache-camel-2.5.0.zip.
>>
>> The examples directory looks strange. There are a lot of files with extension ".<number>.formatted". I do not think the belong there. As the examples are very important for the users I think we should correct this. I am not sure if this is a blocker though so I avoid voting at the moment.
>>
>> ---
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré responded with an idea how to fix the problem:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> the .formatted extension comes from a bug in maven-assembly-plugin
>> beta5 (I had the same in ServiceMix).
>> I downgraded to maven-assembly-plugin beta4 (not tried with assembly 2.2
>> just released).
>>

> I wonder what the community think? I tried the 2.2 assembly and it
> created a ZIP file on my laptop without the numbers.
> But I wonder if something happens afterwards when Hadrian does the
> release process, which could cause the numbers to appear, if he also
> uses the 2.2 version?
>
> Of course it would be nice with a release without those numbers, but
> its not a blocker IMHO.
> We can of course note this in the release notes.
>
> So do we want a quicker release, or should we send beers to Hadrian
> and ask him to redo the release?
> Then we could pickup the minor commits done since. Or redo based on the tag?
>
> Thoughts?
>

>> Regards
>> JB
>> -----
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Christian
>>

>> Christian Schneider
>> Informationsverarbeitung
>> Business Solutions
>> Handel und Dispatching
>>
>> Tel : +49-(0)721-63-15482
>>
>> EnBW Systeme Infrastruktur Support GmbH
>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe
>> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mannheim ­ HRB 108550
>> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Bernhard Beck

Jon Anstey
I'm wondering guys... this .formatted file problem looks pretty bad to me. I
mean looking at the examples dir itself, there are 465 items in a directory
listing... a little confusing to say the least!

janstey@mojo:/tmp/apache-camel-2.5.0/examples$ ls -1 | wc -l
465

Hadrian, how much work is it to redo this? I guess the downgrade to assembly
plugin version 2.2. fixes the issue?

I'm not putting a -1 in yet but think this issue requires a second thought
:)

--
Cheers,
Jon

Camel in Action: http://manning.com/ibsen
Blog: http://janstey.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.5.0

hadrian
Yeah, I reluctantly agree. It takes about 5-6 hours to redo the release. But I will not redo it unless I see some -1s and close this vote (more than 24 hours left for voting). Being just examples, I am not masochistic enough to -1 it myself (I probably should).

Hadrian