[Website] Style and content on Camel Quarkus extension pages

[Website] Style and content on Camel Quarkus extension pages

Peter Palaga
Hi,

as agreed in the "Per-extension pages" thread [1], I have prepared some
tooling to create Camel Quarkus extension pages semi-automatically:
There is a FreeMarker template [2] that is populated by data from the
extension POM, from Camel Catalog and from some pre-defined text chunks
in src/main/doc of the extension.

We now have two extension pages produced by this mechanism:

https://camel.apache.org/camel-quarkus/latest/extensions/activemq.html
https://camel.apache.org/camel-quarkus/latest/extensions/ahc.html

First of all, I'd like to ask for feedback about the content. Is there
anything important missing in those pages?

Second, I'd like to discuss the styling of the presented data.

(i) Badges

The second line after the title currently contains since version and the
supported compilation targets (JVM and native) as plain text. For AHC,
its is

`Since Camel Quarkus 1.0.0-M3, JVM and native`

I came across the idea to style this information as badges something
like the attached image. Does anybody know how to do this using Asciidoc
and Antora? The JVM and Native badges could be static SVG images that my
generator puts there as necessary, but the Since: version badge needs to
be a bit more dynamic becaus the since version may be different for the
individual extensions.

(ii) Tabs

We currently present only Maven formatted artifact coordinates. I'd like
to add at least Gradle using tabs, like they do e.g. on
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.junit.jupiter/junit-jupiter-engine/5.6.2
Again, could please give me a hint how to do this with AsciiDoc and Antora?

Thanks,

-- Peter

[1]
https://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/Website-Camel-Quarkus-Per-extension-pages-td5865580.html
[2]
https://github.com/apache/camel-quarkus/blame/master/tooling/package-maven-plugin/src/main/resources/doc-templates/extension-doc-page.adoc

Re: [Website] Style and content on Camel Quarkus extension pages

Peter Palaga
I have hacked some CSS in
https://github.com/apache/camel-website/pull/368 Improvements are
welcome. Thanks, -- Peter

On 21/05/2020 15:00, Peter Palaga wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as agreed in the "Per-extension pages" thread [1], I have prepared some
> tooling to create Camel Quarkus extension pages semi-automatically:
> There is a FreeMarker template [2] that is populated by data from the
> extension POM, from Camel Catalog and from some pre-defined text chunks
> in src/main/doc of the extension.
>
> We now have two extension pages produced by this mechanism:
>
> https://camel.apache.org/camel-quarkus/latest/extensions/activemq.html
> https://camel.apache.org/camel-quarkus/latest/extensions/ahc.html
>
> First of all, I'd like to ask for feedback about the content. Is there
> anything important missing in those pages?
>
> Second, I'd like to discuss the styling of the presented data.
>
> (i) Badges
>
> The second line after the title currently contains since version and the
> supported compilation targets (JVM and native) as plain text. For AHC,
> its is
>
> `Since Camel Quarkus 1.0.0-M3, JVM and native`
>
> I came across the idea to style this information as badges something
> like the attached image. Does anybody know how to do this using Asciidoc
> and Antora? The JVM and Native badges could be static SVG images that my
> generator puts there as necessary, but the Since: version badge needs to
> be a bit more dynamic becaus the since version may be different for the
> individual extensions.
>
> (ii) Tabs
>
> We currently present only Maven formatted artifact coordinates. I'd like
> to add at least Gradle using tabs, like they do e.g. on
> https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.junit.jupiter/junit-jupiter-engine/5.6.2
> Again, could please give me a hint how to do this with AsciiDoc and Antora?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Peter
>
> [1]
> https://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/Website-Camel-Quarkus-Per-extension-pages-td5865580.html
>
> [2]
> https://github.com/apache/camel-quarkus/blame/master/tooling/package-maven-plugin/src/main/resources/doc-templates/extension-doc-page.adoc

Re: [Website] Style and content on Camel Quarkus extension pages

Peter Palaga
The colored badges are now online:
https://camel.apache.org/camel-quarkus/latest/extensions/activemq.html
Improvement ideas are still welcome. -- P

On 22/05/2020 14:52, Peter Palaga wrote:

> I have hacked some CSS in
> https://github.com/apache/camel-website/pull/368 Improvements are
> welcome. Thanks, -- Peter
>
> On 21/05/2020 15:00, Peter Palaga wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as agreed in the "Per-extension pages" thread [1], I have prepared
>> some tooling to create Camel Quarkus extension pages
>> semi-automatically: There is a FreeMarker template [2] that is
>> populated by data from the extension POM, from Camel Catalog and from
>> some pre-defined text chunks in src/main/doc of the extension.
>>
>> We now have two extension pages produced by this mechanism:
>>
>> https://camel.apache.org/camel-quarkus/latest/extensions/activemq.html
>> https://camel.apache.org/camel-quarkus/latest/extensions/ahc.html
>>
>> First of all, I'd like to ask for feedback about the content. Is there
>> anything important missing in those pages?
>>
>> Second, I'd like to discuss the styling of the presented data.
>>
>> (i) Badges
>>
>> The second line after the title currently contains since version and
>> the supported compilation targets (JVM and native) as plain text. For
>> AHC, its is
>>
>> `Since Camel Quarkus 1.0.0-M3, JVM and native`
>>
>> I came across the idea to style this information as badges something
>> like the attached image. Does anybody know how to do this using
>> Asciidoc and Antora? The JVM and Native badges could be static SVG
>> images that my generator puts there as necessary, but the Since:
>> version badge needs to be a bit more dynamic becaus the since version
>> may be different for the individual extensions.
>>
>> (ii) Tabs
>>
>> We currently present only Maven formatted artifact coordinates. I'd
>> like to add at least Gradle using tabs, like they do e.g. on
>> https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.junit.jupiter/junit-jupiter-engine/5.6.2
>> Again, could please give me a hint how to do this with AsciiDoc and
>> Antora?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -- Peter
>>
>> [1]
>> https://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/Website-Camel-Quarkus-Per-extension-pages-td5865580.html
>>
>> [2]
>> https://github.com/apache/camel-quarkus/blame/master/tooling/package-maven-plugin/src/main/resources/doc-templates/extension-doc-page.adoc

Re: [Website] Style and content on Camel Quarkus extension pages

Alex Dettinger
Well done for badges Peter, they look great :)