camel-example-osgi - imported packages?

The camel-example-osgi is quite plain in the MANIFEST.MF file.

I am wondering why it hasn't dependencies to camel-core and camel-spring that is needed also? Or am I misunderstanding how this OSGi is to be used?

Anyone got it installed and started in an OSGi container?
We could use a user guide on this in the Camel wiki documentation.

Med venlig hilsen

Silverbullet
Skovsgårdsvænget 21
8362 Hørning
Tlf. +45 2962 7576
Web: www.silverbullet.dk

RE: camel-example-osgi - imported packages?

Claus Ibsen
I had to remove the javax.management and similar javax.xxx packages from the imported bundles on the camel-core and camel-spring jars to be able to install and stat these bundles.

However as the example doesn't import anything it uses, I am not sure its started at all.

And as using WebSphere 6.1 as the container I have no clue where it will log error/progress etc.

Its console (osgiConsole.bat) doesn't give to much help.

Med venlig hilsen

Silverbullet
Skovsgårdsvænget 21
8362 Hørning
Tlf. +45 2962 7576

Web: www.silverbullet.dk

Re: camel-example-osgi - imported packages?

Charles Moulliard
Hi Claus,

You are right. The Camel-osgi example is not a good one because the META-INF file does not exist and could not be generated (like this is possible with maven + bnd : http://www.aqute.biz/Code/Bnd) from the repository. Like you mention, the wiki web site has to be updated in order to explain step-by-step how to build a Camel osgi project and deploy.

When you look to the servicemix web site where (http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel/1-quick-start.html) an explanation is provided on How to run Camel example inside servicemix 4 (which is based on Felix osgi server), you see that in order to run Camel, additional bundles (jaxb, jaxb-impl, camel, camel-osgi, ...) must be deployed. But this is not enough because when you try to deploy the same project into Spring Application Platform Server (and probably others osgi servers), errors are returned to the console because dependencies are not deployed and not defined in the META-INF file (good explanation is provided here : http://swik.net/Spring/Interface21+Team+Blog/Creating+OSGi+bundles/b2yoy).

Unfortunately, even if each osgi server implements the osgi specification their behavior are different. This is also the case with the J2EE servers. Otherwise the procedure explained in the servicemix should be reproductible. In spring application platform by example, the camel schema cannot be find during the launch of the server ... Sometimes IT is a pity for the slaves that we are.

Regards,

Charles

Claus Ibsen wrote
Hi