integrate pull request

arno noordover
This post was updated on .
I'm seeing that my integrations of the pull request introduce new branches in the repository.
I'm looking for the simplest way to do it using rebase.
I've seen http://blog.differential.com/best-way-to-merge-a-github-pull-request/ but you need to add someones repo as a remote to do this.
Is this the simplest way?
Should you also squash?
I also found: https://help.github.com/articles/checking-out-pull-requests-locally/

git fetch origin pull/ID/head:BRANCHNAME
git checkout BRANCHNAME
git rebase -i master BRANCHNAME

Re: integrate pull request

you get an email with the git command to run, such as:

git pull https://github.com/sirlatrom/camel
fix/salesforce-pushtopic-query-update-criteria

Then after you do that you run a rebase, eg

git pull --rebase

Then the commits gets merged on top of the master branch, in a
straight line. So there is no "guitar hero" syndrome, with many
branches.

And as a committer you can also work directly on the Apache git repo
instead of the fork from github, eg the ASF git link is shown in the
top here
http://camel.apache.org/source.html

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 9:56 PM, arno noordover <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm seeing that my integrations of the pull request introduce new branches in
> the repository.
> I'm looking for the simplest way to do it using rebase.
> I've seen
> http://blog.differential.com/best-way-to-merge-a-github-pull-request/ but
> you need to add someones repo as a remote to do this.
> Is this the simplest way?
> Should you also squash?

Re: integrate pull request

arno noordover

Thanks. I only missed git pull --rebase.

Op 25 jun. 2016 7:48 a.m. schreef "Claus Ibsen-2 [via Camel]" <[hidden email]>:

you get an email with the git command to run, such as:

git pull https://github.com/sirlatrom/camel
fix/salesforce-pushtopic-query-update-criteria

Then after you do that you run a rebase, eg

git pull --rebase

Then the commits gets merged on top of the master branch, in a
straight line. So there is no "guitar hero" syndrome, with many
branches.

And as a committer you can also work directly on the Apache git repo
instead of the fork from github, eg the ASF git link is shown in the
top here
http://camel.apache.org/source.html

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 9:56 PM, arno noordover <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm seeing that my integrations of the pull request introduce new branches in
> the repository.
> I'm looking for the simplest way to do it using rebase.
> I've seen
> http://blog.differential.com/best-way-to-merge-a-github-pull-request/ but
> you need to add someones repo as a remote to do this.
> Is this the simplest way?
> Should you also squash?

NAML

Re: integrate pull request

arno noordover

When I do a change that I would like to get reviewed I use my own repo and create a PR. Is this the best way to get a review?

Op 25 jun. 2016 8:06 a.m. schreef "Arno Noordover" <[hidden email]>:

Thanks. I only missed git pull --rebase.

Op 25 jun. 2016 7:48 a.m. schreef "Claus Ibsen-2 [via Camel]" <[hidden email]>:

you get an email with the git command to run, such as:

git pull https://github.com/sirlatrom/camel
fix/salesforce-pushtopic-query-update-criteria

Then after you do that you run a rebase, eg

git pull --rebase

Then the commits gets merged on top of the master branch, in a
straight line. So there is no "guitar hero" syndrome, with many
branches.

And as a committer you can also work directly on the Apache git repo
instead of the fork from github, eg the ASF git link is shown in the
top here
http://camel.apache.org/source.html

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 9:56 PM, arno noordover <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm seeing that my integrations of the pull request introduce new branches in
> the repository.
> I'm looking for the simplest way to do it using rebase.
> I've seen
> http://blog.differential.com/best-way-to-merge-a-github-pull-request/ but
> you need to add someones repo as a remote to do this.
> Is this the simplest way?
> Should you also squash?

NAML